Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding Petal and Fuzz

4 posters

Go down

Bonding Petal and Fuzz Empty Bonding Petal and Fuzz

Post by hanspan Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Petal and Fuzz have met a couple of times. First at her foster mum's house, and yesterday I put them together for a couple of minutes in neutral territory. Because I'm trying to settle Petal's gut, I've tried not to stress her too much by overdoing the bonding, but I'm keen to get it underway so that she can go outside to live with Fuzz before it gets too cold for her.

So far there's been no real aggression, but it's been a long time since I've bonded bunnies so I'm not sure whether it's going well or not. Basically all that's happening is that Fuzz is constantly going up to Petal to sniff her face, and she's occasionally putting up with it for about 20 seconds, but then stamping and running away. This has resulted in lots of chasing by Fuzz. He's also mounted her twice, once from the front, and once from behind. I only intervened when he was mounting her from behind because I was worried he was biting her, but on closer inspection, he just appeared to be shoving his face into her back but not actually biting her. He seems totally at ease when he's with her, but she is obviously getting a bit stressed with quickened breathing etc. I want to try again today in the bathroom, but I just wanted to check with others first because I'm worried that Petal doesn't actually like Fuzz Sad Is it normal for one bun to be like this at first? I'm sure I remember lots of chasing the last time I bonded bunnies. Should I be stopping the chasing?

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Bonding Petal and Fuzz Empty Re: Bonding Petal and Fuzz

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Wave
Chasing and humping is normal behaviour when bonding bunnies, it just looks a bit daunting to us humans pale As long as there is no locked on aggression then things are looking good Smile and it is just a case of getting through the initial chasing.

I know how hard it is to watch when when one of the buns look stressed - with Rosie and BJ, Rosie was a quivering wreck whilst BJ ran around humming and humping Shocked

One idea is to take the pair of them for a car ride in a carrier together at the start of bonding. The buns will huddle together for comfort and hopefully get them off to a good start. Another tip is to make sure the bonding area is no too large.

Good luck and keep us posted Thumbs Up
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Well, I decided to change locations to the hallway as I think the problem before was that I was using a small blocked in area. So I've had them together for a couple of hours now (I was only going to do it for 10 mins initially) I can really see the difference the location makes! Petal is no longer stamping her foot, and is actually letting Fuzz groom her ears and back! They have even been lying down next to each other briefly! And I have never in my life seen so much binky-ing, they're basically galloping around and binkying every few mins, it's ridiculous! It's lovely to see them together, I don't really want to split them for the night, but I'm not convinced they're totally finished bonding yet, although Fuzz seems to have cooled off on the mounting somewhat. They're currently both in their litter trays and seem to be swapping over trays (although I think Fuzz wants to share the same one). Lots of rabbit kisses right now, too sweet Love

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Where are the piccies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is going well I would be tempted to leave them together, can you leave them in the hallway overnight? I know some bunny bonders sleep near the bonding pair to keep an ear out for fighting, are you up for that?

If there is no sign of fighting whatsover it sounds like the bonding is well on it's way and they should be safe to leave, at some point you have to bite the bullet pale

I am so thrilled that things are looking good, loads of bunny loving vibes coming their way Thumbs Up
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 pm

Sounds as though it is going perfectly! Love Can't wait for piccies xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Change of location again! I can't really keep them in the hallway overnight, it's right by the front door and not really suitable for them. So we're now in the utility room. It's actually Petal's bedroom so she's probably not totally happy about Fuzz being in there and marking everything, but she's not totally stressed by it, but is still quite chilled and is grooming herself and lying down a lot. One thing she is doing is licking me a lot more than she ever has before! It's very sweet, but if I enter the room, she races right up to me and licks my legs and shoes! Is she trying to bond with me? Does she think I'm part of the gang?? Shocked Laughing

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 pm

You are definately part of the gang Laughing
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:23 pm

A couple of pics..

Bonding Petal and Fuzz SDC10406

Bonding Petal and Fuzz SDC10400

Bonding Petal and Fuzz SDC10405

Bonding Petal and Fuzz SDC10407

I've actually got some videos too but they're taking too long to upload!

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Don't they make just such a gorgeous pair Love

So happy for you Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Beautiful! This makes me so eager to get on with the process of finding Brynn a mate!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:49 pm

ElleyMay wrote:Beautiful! This makes me so eager to get on with the process of finding Brynn a mate!

Aw, you should, it's actually a lot of fun once the initial scary introduction is over!

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:11 am

They were absolutely fine over night, I went to check on them a couple of times and got my feet thoroughly licked every time!

I'm just wondering now whether I should put them outside in their house now, or wait until after fireworks night? The more I think about it, the more I think I should keep them in until Friday, and it's only to do with the fireworks, and not because I want to keep them inside for ever and ever.. Laughing

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah right Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't forget that there will more than likely be fireworks on Saturday and Sunday too!

Another thing, has Petal got her winter coat, if she has not been used to being outdoors it may be too cold for her to move outside.

I think it would be best to keep them indoors for the winter Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am so pleased that the bonding has gone so well for Petal and Fuzz. Here's to a long and happy marriage Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:36 pm

I wish! Unfortunately, I'm not the boss round these parts! I can probably just about manage to persuade the grumpy bunny hater to allow them a few more nights indoors!

Petal was apparently kept outside before she was rescued and she has a tremendously thick coat, also I've only been keeping her in unheated rooms, so she should be OK. I have a few snugglesafes too just in case.

(I just found Fuzz kicking back with Petal licking his head very fervently, I think the bonding is done!!)

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Grumpy bunny hater Laughing Laughing Laughing

Methinks they need training in the ways of bunny lurve Wink
Sixer
Sixer