Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T

2 posters

Go down

Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T Empty Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T

Post by hanspan Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:21 am

Has anyone tried these pellets on their buns? After hearing about the trace amounts of meat in Excel pellets, I can't give them to my buns without feeling a bit peculiar! The only problem for me is that any pellets other than Excel and some cheapy supermarket brands seem quite hard to source locally and I'm not too keen on the idea of getting pellets online - not always here to accept deliveries. I was going to see if my vet could get Bunny Basics in, but if not, I was going to ask for SS or Allen & Page. It's really annoying that all my local pet shops and vets only stock Excel and nothing else.

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T Empty Re: Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I have been using these for a couple of years, Barney our first bun suffered from excess caecotrophs on both Excel and SS but had no problems with Bunny Basics once I switched to them. They are pricey for feeding six rabbits but all my six (touchwood) seem to thrive on them so I am loath to change.

I use the Bunny Basics T as a staple which is timothy hay based - I believe Barney had problems with Excel and SS because they are Alfalfa based - with a very few 15/30 which are Alfalfa based thrown in for variety Smile

I tend to buy from Pampered Piggies or The Hay Experts depending on what other goodies I need! Laughing My vet will order them for me too.

I highly recommend Bunny Basics, though it may take a while for your buns to enjoy them. I read somewhere that they are like eating cardboard compared to other more 'tasty' pellets. I cannot vouch for this as I have not personally eaten them!

(I have tried some of the apple bunny biscuits Laughing )
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T Empty Re: Thinking of changing to Oxbow Bunny Basics/T

Post by hanspan Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Haha, I sometimes think about trying their fenugreek crunchies! Speaking of which, P@H have stopped selling them so that's another thing I may have to order online! I guess they found out how much buns like them and have subsequently decided to stop selling them Rolling Eyes

I feel a bit bad about switching them to BB because they seem to love their Excel pellets so much, but they're so high in sugar and to find out that they may have meat in them has really been the final straw! I might try and get a Bunny Basics taster pack if they exist! I actually feed my buns Oxbow timothy hay atm, do you think adding timothy hay based pellets will make their diet too unvaried? I am introducing Petal to carrot tops and herbs right now, so they should be able to eat veg shortly.

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Ours eat Oxbow timothy hay too - in hay racks and they have farm meadow hay in their litter trays. Course timothy hay is great for teeth so I have no qualms in feeding it alongside the Bunny Basics pellets.

If you are looking for variety there are loads of different hays available, have a look at The Hay Experts website. I know a lot of buns go mad for oat hay but ours are not overly fussed. The Hay Experts also supply sample packs of different hays so you can try them before buying.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays%2C+Grasses+%252526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/Taster+Selection+Sample+Pack.6.html

Our buns all time favourites are dried herbs - they all go beserk for Burn's dried plaintain (THE again) and Auntie Sally's Countryside Mix from Pampered Piggies. Do have a look at these webstores - there are all sorts of scrummy bunny treats and toys!

I don't think you can get taster packs for Bunny Basics, do you live anywhere near Bolton because I could let you have some to try if you wanted. They would probably be too pricey to post due to the weight Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I've emailed the Bunny Basics people asking if I can get a sample, I bet I can't but I thought I'd try my luck anyway! It seems crazy that all these other pellet companies don't market their products more, I have been to several pet shops and have only been able to find Excel, it's madness.

Thanks for offering me some, but I'm in London, so nowhere near Bolton unfortunately! I will probably just get some online eventually, but have only just opened a massive bag of Excel grr!

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down