Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC

+10
bunnymadhouse
jan
Sixer
Catsknickers
Jay
LilleJente
Happy Hoppers
ElleyMay
NickieM
Kirsty&Lola
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC Empty Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC

Post by Kirsty&Lola Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Well what an eventful day...
My mum called me to say the lady from our local corner shop has told her about a rabbit she's found. Just before Christmas she heard a scream from under some bushes and two cats were attacking a black rabbit. She took it home but had no hutch or run so just left it in the 'smoking shed.' The lady has tried to find the owners but i don't think anyone will come forward. We offered to take the bun on a temp basis after calling BARC who very kindly said they would take the bun once they have room.

We have just picked it (feel very bad saying it but not sure of gender yet) up and it is sooo friendly. Fine at being handled, comes over for attention Love The lady said it was very big when in fact it's just a medium size bun. I think it's only a baby though Sad

The only problem is it has a poorly leg. I think it's an old injury but it will not put any weight on it's rear right leg, just holds it up. It doesn't seem to be in any pain as it is hopping around the hutch and munching on hay.

I wil try and get some pics of the bun once its settled in a bit. Any ideas on names? Would have to be a universal name at the min as i doubt i'll be any good at sexing it!

Last edited by Kirsty&Lola on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC Empty Re: Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Hopalong springs to mind as a name!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC Empty Re: Just rescued a little bun UD Some pics taken at BARC

Post by ElleyMay Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Crying or Very sad That makes me so sad!.... yet, at the same time very happy that he has been found and saved!

I've always liked the name Reggie for a girl rabbit.

We considered calling Brynn Reggie because when we first got her we weren't absolutely sure of the gender and it totally works for a boy too.
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Perhaps Cassidy which could be changed to Cassie if it's a girl.....following on from Nickie's Hop-a-long idea!

Hope the little bun is OK, if the leg is bad or the bun has other related problems BARC might contact Ebony Eye's to rehome.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:18 pm

I think it was born with the problem, possibly a deformed pelvis. The more i watch it the more i think the other leg isn't 100% either. He can't stretch up even though he really wants too. He has no signs of wounds from what i can see but i am no expert. It is very sad but he has the most adorable face with these big brown eyes Love I think he needs a special home who will understand his additional needs. You can just cuddle him all day and he doesn't even wriggle Love I like the name Cassidy Thumbs Up I will let Andy have the choice of name as he has been very good today helping me with the bun.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:23 pm

That's why I was thinking Jay & John's might be a good idea if they have space as they have loads of experience with disabled bunnies. Do you think the wet bottom is related to the legs, i.e. the bun can't direct rine away from it's body....

I can take a look on Saturday for you if you want, might perhaps be a version of splay leg like Juno had, though sounds like it probably too late to correct it.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:54 pm

yeh i definately think the wet bum is connected as i dont think he can lift his bum up like my others do. he's bones "feel" funny around this back end. It would be great if you could take a look hun, he really is so friendly. I know he's better off with us than most people because we will love him, keep him fed, watered and warm but i feel a little out of my depth.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:16 pm

we are going to get this little guy to the vets tomorrow and see what a professional thinks to his disabilities.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Good luck for tomorrow, let me know what your vet thinks. x
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:18 am

Aww he just sounds lovely Love I hope he does well at the vets Love
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:35 am

Hope it goes Ok at the vets, and I'm glad the bun found it's way to you Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 am

well little bunster has been for a full mot. the limp is from a severe break to the right hind leg that has healed and formed a callous. poor little thing i cannot imagine how much pain he must have been in. vet doesnt think there is much we can do for his leg as he seems painfree now and mobile enough as its healed. he is much dryer today aswell which is great news, it may have been that he was wet from poor bedding. going forward we are just going to try and get some weight on him and build him up. we will then panacur him:)

we now know he is definately a he and fully grown. he is the most litter trained bunny i have seen. i started to panic this morning that he hadn't wee'd or poo'd overnight but we checked the carrier in the sleeping area and he had done everything in one litter corner, he is so good Love
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 am

He sounds lovely Love

When Scout broke her leg we were given the option of letting it heal naturally with restricted movement but there was a high chance it would have ended up 'gammy' so we paid to have it pinned. It cost £300 to repair so I wonder if this little fella was already btoken when he was released. Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am

i would say that its pretty definate the bone was broken then he was dumped because of it:( the break is at least a month old and there is no way he would have survived a month in this weather and his injury. he will more than likely have life long issues with his bones and possibly his teeth but he really is the most darling little boy, he is sooo chilled about everything Love
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm

He sounds gorgeous.... piccies please!!!!!! And well done you for taking him in x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Poor little guy!!

Yes, we need pictures Very Happy

I cannot believe how cruel some people can be Sad
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:29 pm

I suspect that if he has adapted to walking and hopping with his bad leg and if it dosn't drag on the ground (where it risks abraision if it has not calloused) or stick out in a way that may make it get caught on things he is probably quite happy. Has he still got feeling in it and his toes....

Does he have a name yet Very Happy
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Awww so glad he is well for the most part Love Love Such a shame about his leg though Sad Glad he's happy and safe now Love
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:47 pm

we have decided to call him Archie Very Happy i'm not sure what Angie will want to call as she may have had an Archie before but we couldn't keep calling him rabbit. He does have feeling in the leg, he can feel when you touch his toes. He holds the leg up rather than letting it drag which is good and he is much dryer after his bum bath. He plays with toys and he managed to stretch up on his good leg today for a few seconds. Love
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm

i have taken some pics just trying to work out how to get them from the camera to the computer Embarassed
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:42 pm

aww bless him!!! Looking forward to piccys Love
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Well done for taking Archie in. He sounds a little duck. Where are the piccies!!!!!!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Hows things going xxx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnymadhouse Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:03 pm

just wondering how the little fella is doing ?
hope all is ok ..

Angie Wave

bunnymadhouse
Rescuer

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:50 am

bunnymadhouse wrote:just wondering how the little fella is doing ?
hope all is ok ..

Angie Wave

he is doing really well. Sooz met him yesterday and he came straight out to see her and wolfed down the porridge we had for him. His coat and general condition is getting better now he is on the right diet. he is still quite confused at the prospect of eating hay...he just looks at me gone out Laughing his leg isn't bothering him at all which is great Very Happy
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next