Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding News..

5 posters

Go down

Bonding News.. Empty Bonding News..

Post by Vivi Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Oki - Bonding Bea and Cid didn't really work, he was abit stroppy and Bea just stomped at him alot, which I think made him worse, so Im trying him now with Freya, who isn't much of a stomper & a little calmer, though I was worried she would try and dominate him - Alot! So far though, that hasn't happened.

He grooms her from time to time in a nibbly way, and when she gets annoyed she just hops away without stomping. Sometimes she nudges him to groom the top of her head because she really seems to like it. They go to each other when they're scared which I suppose is good.

Sometimes Cid gets a little stroppy so I just move them both to another neutral area.

One thing though - I read somewhere mounting is a good bonding indicator and Ive had none of that! Any opinions on this? And are there any other good indicators? Im wondering when to step out of neutral.

Another thing - Freya keeps shoving her head under his chin, is this good? (See the photo!)

Bonding News.. P1000309

Im new to bonding bunnies and its rather scary!

Here's some more photos too!

Bonding News.. P1000313

Oh, PS, does anyone have any tips for bonding slightly socially awkward bunnies! Smile
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Bonding News.. Empty Re: Bonding News..

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Maybe there isn't any mounting because there is no huge dominance issue. Sometimes both buns are happy to be kind of equal, other times one wants to be definite top bun and needs the other to be submissive. Maybe these two are just happy with each other. It would explain the lack of thumping as they don't seem to see each other as a threat. Pushing a head down for a noserub is just a reassurance thing. It sounds like things are going well.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Vivi wrote: Another thing - Freya keeps shoving her head under his chin, is this good? (See the photo!)

Hippo does this all the time to Brynn... and she immediately responds with grooming. He's so greedy!

(btw, they are lovely!)
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks guys!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am

Mounting can sometimes preceed a bit of a dominance issue which can result in them trading fisticuffs for a while whilst they establich a hierachy so personally I am always relieved if they don't feel the need!

Sometimes it can occur weeks, even months later, but by this stage the rabbits are usually comfortable enough in each others company not to get on their high horses over it.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks again!

Guess now I just need to keep things going as they are and see if Cid relaxes a little more - Though he seems to be doing well!

Fingers crossed for them.. Smile
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Sorry I totally keep going on about this but the bonding thing is new to me and with Cid being a little special I like to have people to talk about it with!

Last night the bunnies where out again and Cid was doing his usual 'Ill nibble on your fur' thing, though sometimes I think when he does this he must nip Freya. So last night she went for him! I was thinking Ive finally found a bunny Cid likes and she doesn't like him!

That was rather short lived though, thankfully! Soon after that she was back to headbutting him.

He seems to have learnt something though - She doesn't want to be nibbled!

After that he was licking her all over the top of her head and ears and even her cheeks. Hes not very good at it though, he did it all backwards so her fur was sticking up, and she was a little wet..

But its the thought that counts!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Just like a man that isnt it! They just need that little bit of xtra guidance!tee hee Happy Dance

Bless him though - hes obviously trying really hard - perhaps he just needs his lady to stand up to him every once in a while to keep him on the straight and narrow. Very Happy
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Katieb wrote:Just like a man that isnt it! They just need that little bit of xtra guidance!tee hee Happy Dance

Bless him though - hes obviously trying really hard - perhaps he just needs his lady to stand up to him every once in a while to keep him on the straight and narrow. Very Happy

I know mine does (OH that is, not Hippo)
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds like it is going really well. There will be little tiffs if he is too rough or she doesnt like something. But as long as it is now and again, it is perfectly normal.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 am

I had them out again today, in less neutral teritory! And there were no tiffs or anything!

Sometimes they just make me soo happy Smile

And I completely agree Katie!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content