Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outside time?

4 posters

Go down

Outside time? Empty Outside time?

Post by AprilGirl Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:42 pm

HI HH,
Sorry I have once again been very awol.
My boy is doing great, very healthy, except a late night visit to the emergency vet the week before christmas with swollen bits and difficulty going to the loo. Poor boy had to be catheterised and had some antibiotics but pulled through with no probs. He spent the snowy weeks in the house, I loved it by other half didn't (he's really grumpy) Shadow ripped some of the wall paper off so didn't go down well Laughing Laughing
Anyway, Shadow got to play out in the snow and showed his first sign's he's a "proper" bunny by digging and pushing in the snow drifts Very Happy but other than that he hasn't been in his run as it's very wet damp and cold. I worry he might get uncomfortable, I know he has a fur coat but he's my baby Smile So do you put your bun's out at this time of year? my grass is very long so would he be ok, I feel sorry for him being couped up in his hutch during the day.
Really need to add some updated pics, he's huge now
Love
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Outside time? Empty Re: Outside time?

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 pm

My buns are out all year round in sun, showers, snow etc. They love it. The only weather they don't really like is strong windy weather. Then they tend to huddle up somewhere. I gauge it by how keen they are in the morning. As soon as I open the hutch they are out, then back in for breakfast that they are out for the rest of the day. They hate being locked in and always want out. As long as they have somewhere warm and cosy to go, a good thick winter coat and plenty of food, they are fine. We had temperatures of -11 here and the buns were just fine. I felt their skin and they were cosy and warm.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Can house buns go out in the winter then? I thought I would have to keep George inside until the weather gets warmer or the sudden change in temperature would make him poorly.

My outdoor buns go out in all weathers if they choose. I open their hutch and it is up to them if they stay snuggled in their bedding or decide to brave the elements. They did play in the recent snow and I could hardly see Molly who is white!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:33 pm

House buns will not have grown a full winter coat so it isn't advisable to let them out in cold weather for any length of time.

Outdoor buns have such lovely thick coats - their skin is toasty warm under the fur.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 pm

You would have to be very careful if you were having a bun inside and then putting it outside. Mine are outside all the time so the circumstances are different for mine.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down