Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post)

+5
munchbun
Becki
Catsknickers
Sixer
Magoo
9 posters

Go down

Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post) Empty Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post)

Post by Magoo Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi everyone. I'm sorry this is such a morbid topic for a monday! I just keep thinking about Mr. Magoo and how he died and wish I had an idea what happened. Maybe for my own peace of mind, as well as to hopefully stop it from ever happening again. I'm just going to explain as best as I can, the way he was before he died and what he looked like as it happened. It may even help to tlak about it to find some closure. I hope this doesn't upset anyone and I'm very sorry if it does:(

We fed Mr. Magoo the night before he died and gave him fresh water. He had looked completely healthy that night and the days leading up to his death. We went to bed as usual and then first thing that morning my hubby and I and are 4 children went out and were out for most of the day. He usually comes out in the evening but that evening I had a bath and got involved in something on the computer so basically the whole day I had not spoken to Magoo. I feel so terrible now. I spoke to him and played with him daily but just that day, going through it in my mind, I just seemed to be so busy. It's one of my biggest regrets, not paying enough attention to him that day.

Later that evening I went to say hi to Mr. Magoo. It was then I realised his food hadn't been touched and nor has his water. He was always a big eater so I know he hadn't touched his food for hours. I wish I had realsied sooner and maybe I could have helped him. The fact that he hadn't eaten was an alarm bell for me. I talked to Magoo. His eyes were open but I felt something was wrong. His chin was flat on the floor. Often, when he was relaxed he layed flat on the floor with his chin on the ground but this time he was more hunched up in a sitting position but his chin was on the floor. It didn't look right. I was immediately scared. I called my husband and said something isn't right. As I said that Mr. Magoo started to walk. He got up and headed towards his food but as he did, it was like his front elgs weren't working. He kept flopping down on his chin and then got up and then his front legs buckled and he fell again. He did this a few times and my husband opened his cage and went to stroke him to see if he was ok. Mr. Magoo fell on his side and squeaked. This really upset my husband as we had never heard Mr. Magoo make a sound before. It was so so so terrible. The Magoo slowly crawled and then layed down in the position he used to sleep in. He looked so peaceful and 'normal' like he always was when sleeping or relaxing. I didn't believe for ages that he had died. I just could not believe it.

Does anybody have any ideas what happened from what I have explained? I thought maybe paralysis of some kind? There had been no runny stools and all his poos had been normal. He looked completely healthy (eyes, nose, ears etc).

I'm sorry once again if this has upset anyone. I have read many posts from HH members about rabbit illness and I know many of you are well-informed. Thanks in advance for any insight into why this happened xx
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post) Empty Re: Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post)

Post by Sixer Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

I am so sorry about Mr Magoo, I have recently been given a coaster with a bunny on so like him. It was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

I wish I could help with the death of Mr Magoo but I am sure you know that bunnies are so very good at hiding illness. Often it is only when they are very seriously ill that we realise something is amiss. Without a post mortem I think it would be very hard to even guess at what caused Mr Magoo to pass away.

Please try not to blame yourself over his death - bunnies are such fragile little creatures and it is so easy to lose them so quickly Crying or Very sad Sometimes we lose beloved pets before their time, I lost two cats at less than two years old, it makes the loss so much harder to bear.

Try and remember that Mr Magoo had a wonderful life with you, so many bunnies do not have that opportunity. Mr Magoo will only have known he was loved and cared for, he will have had no concept of how long his life was.

I hope in time the happy memories you have of your precious bunny will help to ease the pain xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post) Empty Re: Any clues to the cause of death? (upsetting post)

Post by Catsknickers Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Oh sweetheart this is very upsetting. I had a bun pass away exactly like this. My beautiful Princess who is my Avatar. She had gone off her food and had been having vet treatment for a few days. I was so distressed I didn't have a post mortem so have never really found out what the problem was.

I am so sorry hun. He was a very special bun.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks. I think it's just the shock. I feel I need an explanation as to how it happened so quickly when I was doing everything I could to look after him. I feel robbed I suppose. Thanks for the replies, I know I need to let it go and let Mr. Magoo rest.

Thanks again xx
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm

I didn't know you'd lost him, So very Sorry Crying or Very sad I don't think the way he died holds any clues Im afraid, but if its any consolation I don't know for sure what actually led to many of my babies deaths. Even when I've known they were poorly. Try to find comfort in the fact that he had such a lot to be happy about and lived a lovely life Crying or Very sad X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by munchbun Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi Magoo

I don't believe it is a morbid topic and it is good to talk about your loss of Mr Magoo. I experienced very similar circumstances to Mr Magoo with my Ghandi. I discovered him screaming in pain for no apparent and had to call the vet who put him sleep. The vet stated that his death could have been due to any number of reasons. I do hope you find Mr Magoo 2 soon. Kindest regards, munchbun

munchbun
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-12

http://largerabbithutches.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Its not morbid at all - everyone here just wants to support you and you should feel free to talk about Mr Magoo as much as you want to.

Mr Magoo was a very loved bun and although you were robbed of more time with him, you made him very happy in the time you had.

Sending hugs

K x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:16 pm

This is probably the best thing for you to do just now as it will help you to process your feelings by understanding what happened. I hope that this discussion helps you. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 am

The problem with them going off their food is it is simply a reaction to some other illness or to pain and is not the issue itself. I've lost rabbits who had no appetite to illnesses as wide ranging as EC, Fits, Pneumonia, Cancer, Pyloric Stenosis and heart failure. I'm sorry we can't give a definitive answer, just assure you you are not alone in this.

If you are the type of person who always wonders why, most vets will offer you the option of a post-mortem, if for your own peace of mind you need answers. I know this is no use to you now, but maybe in future.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HenriForever_ Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 am

Oh dear, so sorry to hear!

I only wish rabbits did show more signs leading up to their sickness...
I still have a hard accepting a similar incident that happened to our little bun Crying or Very sad , and it's been 3 months...

Hang in there, the hurting doesn't stop, it just gets a little easier to cope with as time goes on...
I still run over and over the events in my head of what i could of done differently that day...
As a member here once told me, often their nothing that you could have done differently to prevent it...
Sometimes it's just natures way

you have my deepest sympathies Crying or Very sad
HenriForever_
HenriForever_
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down