Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Bonded buns fighting.

4 posters

Go down

Help! Bonded buns fighting. Empty Help! Bonded buns fighting.

Post by Peanut Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 pm

What a afternoon i've had . I got home from work and went straight to see the buns , opened the shed door and the whole floor was covered in fur! I let them out and as Daphne went over to Peanut he absoloutely freaked , Daphne then carried on chasing him , I managed to seperate and put Peanut in the shed , checked them both over no mark on either of them but Peanut was shaking.

I put them both back in the shed and Peanut was launching himself off the walls trying to escape Daphne!I managed to grab Peanut and he snuggles in to me he was so terrified. I've got a dog crate in the shed which has their litter tray , food and water in So I locked Daphne in there and put peanut in the rest of the shed, every time daphne moved Peanut freaked out. I sat with them for a while and peanut calmed down so i opened the dog crate to see what would happen and daphne went straight for peanut again he freaked. So Daphne is locked in the dog crate for tonight as I don't know what else to do , they can see each other and i've checked on them several times and it all seemsabit calmer, I've given them their veg tonight and they're both happily munching away but I don't know what else to do! i'm so worried about them. I will try a car journey tomorrow any other suggestions or help would be appreciated I feel awful having to cut each of their space by half tonigh but i don't know what else I can do. Crying or Very sad
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Help! Bonded buns fighting. Empty Re: Help! Bonded buns fighting.

Post by racheld69 Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm

i was going to say a car journey.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Spring time tends to bring out a lot of hormonal behaviour even in neutered buns. I think the idea of a car journey is a really good one. You might need to start the bonding again as if they were never bonded. Small neutral space and take it from there. Wishing you luck hun.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:22 pm

good luck honey. Hope they can make friends again.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 pm

I think i've tried everything possible and poor Peanut is terrified. I took them in the carrier in the car and Peanut just sat there shaking he also made a few strange noises! I tried them in the kitchen using 4 panels of a puppy pen and Daphne launched at peanut and he was throwing himself against the pen, I've now split them up and given them half the shed each.

I have found several cuts on Peanut Which i am keeping a closeeye on but they are clean and healing ok.

The strange thing is they are now grooming each other through the panels in the shed, so i thought ok i'll try them together again but Daphne went straight for peanut and he began throwing himself againt the shed again . I am not willing to try them again as i'm scared of what the stress of it all may do to Peanut.I do think they both want to be friends though so don;t know where to take it from here.

Sorry all for the essay

Tamsin x
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 pm

So sorry to hear that. I have a bonded pair and a single bunny who I would love to blend in with them, but to date it just hasn't been possible. Sometimes it just happens. You could always let them live side by side for the next couple of months until the Spring fever has passed and maybe try them again later.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 pm

I think that's the best option , I just hope spring fever ends soon and that peanut toughens up a bit! Do you think if they do re bond I may have this problem again next year at this time? x
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Maybe or maybe not. Have they been separated for any reason, like one of them going to the vet while the other was left behind? Sometimes that can cause a bond to break down. My pair are absolutely fine when they have individual vet appointments, but I know it can cause problems.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peanut Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Nope they haven't been seperated at all , I just came home from work to find fur everywhere and Peanut looking terrified in a corner. just been out to tuck them up for the night and it's like they want to be together but can't actually live in the same space!
Peanut
Peanut
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down