Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myxi alert here

+2
Sixer
NickieM
6 posters

Go down

Myxi alert here Empty Myxi alert here

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Youngest son and his friend found a young rabbit by the side of the road when they went to play snooker on Saturday. It had myxi. Shocked This is about 1/2 mile from the house. There is a field that is used to graze horses and it is full of wild buns so it must have been one of them.

Gloria and Wolfie are due their myxi but I had to wait until their VHD time has passed. They will be going to the vet tomorrow sharpish to get vaccinated. It is horrible that it is so close to home, but it probably always is but it isn't until you see it that you realise.

Poor wee wild bun. x
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Myxi alert here Empty Re: Myxi alert here

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 am

Poor wildie Sad

We get 2 or 3 wildies in our garden which is lovely to see but a worry. Several years ago all the wildies round here died out with myxi Sad Such a vile disease.

I always get our super duper Leica binoculars ( my brother works for Leica Thumbs Up ) to have a good look at the wildies. They are so beautiful and I recognise them now as they all seem to have bits missing from their ears.

Mrs Wildie had dug a nesting burrow again in the garden this year but it has not been used. I wonder if she has gone elsewhere or has died. The nesting burrow was dug in the same position as the previous three years. scratch The same mum, or a babe returned to it's birth place scratch I have no knowledge of wild bunny behaviour but it seem strange the same spot is used, in a garden, when we back onto fields and the moors scratch
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:56 am

Goodness thats a worry.

The person that thought it up should have been shot - evil.

I love watching the wild buns too - especially now i know how cheeky and clever buns are.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:00 am

Sad I saw a couple last week out near the Solent, they were in a shocking state and frozen to the spot for hours. I have a riflesman buddy, who helped them to the bridge. I hate Myxi.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:02 am

Binky Pain Fee at the bridge little buns. Crying or Very sad
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:08 am

Sixer wrote: I have no knowledge of wild bunny behaviour but it seem strange the same spot is used, in a garden, when we back onto fields and the moors scratch

Maybe because there is a strong rabbit presence in your garden which suggests to them that it must be a safe and flourishing area to live in, at a guess.

We live in an urban area so no wild rabbits around here, but we are not 10 minutes from Derbyshire and the peaks at the moment so the insect presence is a constant worry. When we move we will be even more urbanised (on the other side of the city) so the risk posed from the wildies will lessen a little more hopefully.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Scary time, this seems to be when it always hits the worst, I feel so sorry for the wildies, it's a really horrible disease
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Wolfs and Glowbags will be unceremoniously stuffed into their carrier at 3.15 and taken to THE VET. I'll be glad this time next week when I know they are protected. Such a worry.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Hope all went well at the vets. I doubt you'll be forgiven easily (until you have food of course).

The whole mixi thing terrifies me. I remember there was a bit of a campaign on TV this time last year about it to raise awareness of it - hopefully there will be something similar this year.

Nose rubs for Glo and the Wolfmeister.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Back from the vets now with them. They were really really annoyed about being stuffed in their carrier. They always look so totally sad at the vets and do that hyperventilating thing. Today they had to endure being examined by the vet and a third-year vet student. She did the jabs and I was pleased to see him instructing her about the 10% bit at the end.

I asked about the Cylap vaccine against Lapinject and the vet poo-poohed the problems, saying it was very rare and he hadn't ever seen it. He was visibly shocked when I said about the company now warning customers that 50% of rabbits can experience problems.

The surgery are going to find out the cost for me as I will try and get all three vaccinated for VHD at the same time. I will probably not cost me much more than the normal jab.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:16 pm

All mine do the hyperventilating thing too Sad I don't know who stresses out the most. The buns or me watching them Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down