Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How old for your first bunny?

+5
Happy Hoppers
NSD
Sixer
lopz
Jay
9 posters

Go down

How old for should children be to have a bunny?

How old for your first bunny? Vote_lcap0%How old for your first bunny? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How old for your first bunny? Vote_lcap0%How old for your first bunny? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How old for your first bunny? Vote_lcap38%How old for your first bunny? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]
How old for your first bunny? Vote_lcap62%How old for your first bunny? Vote_rcap 62% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 13

How old for your first bunny? Empty How old for your first bunny?

Post by Jay Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 am

As we know, Rabbits are considered children's pets, although this is not always in the best interests of the bunny.
Whilst the right age for a child to have a bun depends a lot on the child, I wondered what you'd consider to be a good age to introduce a bun to children? Please vote!

Also, if you had a bun as a child, how old were you ?
and, if you have children, how old did you give them their first bunny?
Could you post those below, with any reasons why, if nec. Smile

Would help loads with a bit of research I'm doing, Thanks Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

How old for your first bunny? Empty Re: How old for your first bunny?

Post by lopz Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 am

I voted 8-10 but supervision is needed, and parents should know about bunnies.
I got a bunny for my daughter, but it was more because I liked it... Very Happy Must admit, I had no clue really how to take care of it. Embarassed My daughter was a little older though.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 am

I had rabbits as a child - the first was bought for my brother who had just started nursery school. He was 4, I was 9. My brother, unsurprisingly very rapidly lost interest. I then had a rabbit through my teenage years.

I have voted age 11 and upwards as a suitable age for a child to have a rabbit. I feel the older the child the more likely they are to help take some responsibilty for a rabbit and also be able to understand that a rabbit is not a cuddlesome plaything. Other animals are much better suited for younger children and also less of potential burden to parents once the novelty has worn off.

Three years ago Louise at 15 obtained two rabbits. Whilst very good on the day to day care the ultimate responsibilty for them was (and is) mine. I was taken aback by the amount of care they needed, and even the worry they invoked. Much more so than with my cat. I personally feel that rabbits are more of commitment and harder work than a cat, maybe a dog too.

I hope one day that the message will get through that a rabbit is not an easy cheap pet for a child.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 am

I have a ten year old cousin. She's obsessed with the rabbits but quickly loses interest when she's over and a different toy is required. I said 11 and up because the way that she handles the rabbits, no matter how often I explain it, she will grab them, she chases after them. I try to get her to sit still and wait for them to approach her but she doesn't do it.

Rabbits are such sensitive creatures whose good treatment is not well understood, so the age limit should be higher. At least with dogs and cats most people know how to treat them well.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:27 pm

I've voted 8-10. The reason for this is that I got my first rabbit around this age and I doted on her, yet the rabbit I got after she went to RB coincided with me becoming a teenager in later life and I am ashamed to admit that I lost interest in him as I got older.

I needed no prompting to care for and play with my first rabbit but constant nagging with my second after the first couple of years. Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vivi Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I voted 8-10 too, though I think it depends ont he child! I remember having a rabbit at this age myself, maybe a little younger and I didn't look after it much, the rabbit was biting a younger cousin who couldn't hold it properly. The rabbit died fairly soon after I got it. He wa such a lovely red colour, too... It is a shame I was such a terrible rabbit owner then! And I imagine must children are like that!
Vivi
Vivi
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

I really think that rabbits are so not childrens pets. It takes a certain type of child to have the patience they require. Gratification and bonds with rabbits aren't always as instant as they are say with dogs.

I also think that the parent's participation, attitude and responsibility is paramount.

I had a rabbit when I was 10 after nagging my parents. I instantly lost interest and has been said before I am ashamed of how I treated that rabbit who eventually moved nextdoor. My parents weren't interested in the rabbit either. So it had no hope. I just hope I have made up for the way I treated that poor bun. I didn't give it the attention or diet it needed. I did eventually just let it run round our garden loose. However I think I will feel eternally ashamed of the lack of love I showed it.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 pm

I voted 11 and up, although I think 8-10 could also be appropriate, depending on the child - and the parents of course.

I had my first rabbit at 6, though she was shared between myself and my brother, who was 12. Cheeky wasn't tame at all, and none of us ever held her. Sad My brother lost interest (although he strongly denies that to this day!) and it was my parents really who fed and cleaned out her hutch. I used to do the feeding sometimes, but wasn't allowed to clean out her quarters as her hutch was quite big with an opening roof (it was made by my brother and dad) and I couldn't reach in to do it properly. We had a huge old nursery fireguard which was used as a run in front of her hutch.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for the votes and responses Smile I'm inclined to go with 8 upwards, providing that the parents actually take responsibility for the rabbit and know their children well enough to know it would come to no harm. You've been really helpful Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 am

Just the other day I was pulling my hair out.
I was on the phone with my best friend and she told me her granddaughter (who'll be 3 in august!) got 2 (two!!!) bunnies. An easter gift from the other granny Mad
So, I feel disaster coming....
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by nethie Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm

ive also voted for 11years and upwards

nethie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2334
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum