Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neutering!

5 posters

Go down

Neutering! Empty Neutering!

Post by Maximus Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:09 pm

What have i done Sad Max is booked in to be neutered on friday. Any advise please? How will he be when i pick him up? Will he need to keep on the lower part of his cage and avoid jumping up? Thought I was doing the right thing but really worried now Crying or Very sad
Maximus
Maximus
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Back to top Go down

Neutering! Empty Re: Neutering!

Post by NickieM Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

He will be absolutely fine. It isn't as big a procedure as a spay and not as invasive. They snip a little hole in the scrotal sac and take the testes out then tie them off leaving the empty sac. He may have a couple of little stitches. If you make him up a cosy bed for when he comes home. Mine have both been done in the morning and then picked up at 5.00 pm. By then the GA has worn off.

When you drop him into the surgery, put in a bag of his food and maybe something that you know he really likes so he starts eating right away. Rabbits don't have to be starved before a GA as they cannot vomit so there is no need for fasting.

I am sure that your bun will be absolutely fine after a day or so.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 am

he will be fine. We just get overly worried about these things. Be prepared to have to force feed him if he refuses to eat, and let him sook and feel sorry for himself. Neutering is really good for rabbits and I'm sure you'll notice a marked change in his behaviour once the hormones are out of his system.

Good luck!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

I remember feeling the same, it's a daunting prospect, but actually a fairly simple one, and as NSD said, he will be much better for it. You just need to keep him comfy, and watch for him trying to eat his stitches, which will be a bit sore. I wouldn't pick him up for a couple of days though, it'll stress him a bit.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Max is kept in the house and isn't very good with his litter tray at the mo so I hope he will be a little cleaner and stop weeing on my hubby Laughing Will post an update Thanks! x
Maximus
Maximus
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 am

Actually that's not a bad thing, many people get their buns trained, then neutered, and it can undo all the training Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:04 am

I was the same when I had oggie done! I put towels in his cage so it was softer for him to sit on. I would expect your bunbun to be abit quiet when he comes back, Ogs was for a night. He was much better in the morning as he had beaten up the towels.. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Good luck bunny!
Oggie
Oggie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down