Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo...

+5
Happy Hoppers
lopz
NickieM
KatieB
Lottie
9 posters

Go down

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... Empty Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo...

Post by Lottie Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 am

The new treatment is not working at all, which means he dosen't have E.C... He is not getting worst, but there is no progress either....
I am taking him to the vet next week, and i will have 2 options.

-The surgery (for vestibular infection), which is very risky, not done often, expensive (but that's not a problem realy, the animal stylist that regularly shears Kenzo said he could use a helper for a while and gave me a temporary job, mainly because he loves Kenzo I think, so I'll have the money to pay) and after the surgery, if it dosen't fail, there will be a long treatment and even like this it isn't sure that Kenzo will make it.

-Put him down. Sad I realy don't want that, because I can't see myself without him, and he dosen't suffer. I find it cruel to take the life of an animal that isn't in pain. Kenzo eats and drinks alot as usual, and apart from the fact that his head is tilted to one side and that he dosen't walk around much so that he dosen't fall, he sill loves hugs and kisses, and is curious as usual.

I realy don't know what to do, I'm extremly tired and stressed, I have another exam coming up, all this has been driving me crazy ever since he got the new treatment and I saw it isn't working. Crying or Very sad
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... Empty Re: Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo...

Post by KatieB Fri May 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh honey

I wish there was something I could say that would help you make this awful decision but I dont think I would have a clue what to do in your position.

Was your vet able to try the mediations sooz suggested?

Im thinking of you both honey - I know how much Kenzo means to you and can only imagine how you must be feeling right now.

Sending you massive hugs. x x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... Empty Re: Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo...

Post by Lottie Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm

The vet said that the medication Sooz sugested in my other topic would only harm Kenzo because he is too weak for medication that is stronger than what he has now..
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 pm

What a dreadful dilemma for you Lottie. I really don't feel qualified to give you any advice although if he isn't in pain, that is a good thing for you and him. Thinking of you. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

i wish this thread got more replies with people's opinion... I think I will choose to put him down. Because even if the surgery works, it will probably be meds and more meds until the end of his life, its not even sure his head will be straight again (and i don't think it's good for him to have to drag his head around all his life)... And even if he dosen't suffer, a life where he can't even go into his litter box and has to sleep in his pee, being dizzy and falling all the time, not being able to walk around, that's not a life for a rabbit, specialy not an active, curious and playfull one like Kenzo.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Sat May 15, 2010 5:16 pm

O Lottie, what can I say!!
If I was there with you now, I could see how he's doing.
It's always a very hard decision and only you know what's best.
You will have doubts long afterwards, "what if...."
Been there, done that with Arthur, maybe if I had known what I know now..... but I can't put the clocks back.
When you have pets you go through happy times and sad times.
When you decide THAT certain pet is going to share your life, you have no crystal ball and you have to take it a day at a time.
What can I say? I can't make you feel better, I cannot make you feel worse!
I can only send a lot of strenght for you.
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Sat May 15, 2010 5:42 pm

What also bothers me is that I won't be alowed to have any other pet after Kenzo, I'm not sure why, my mom dosen't want me to anymore, even though I pay for everything that concerns my pets...
I have ALWAYS had pets ever since I was a very young girl, and I realy don't know how I'll manage alone... I like Chewy but he's my brothers bunny, and he's not very afective with me. I like Chiqui too, but she's a very wild and not very friendly cat, and she's my moms pet...
If Kenzo leaves it will be the end of my world. All the human friends and company in the world couldn't replace a pet.
Still I musn't be selfish, if Kenzo isn't going to enjoy his life, I prefer to have him put down and be lonely, rather than him being unhappy..
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat May 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Oh honey - I so wish that there was something i could say. Im certainly wishing you a miracle.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun May 16, 2010 4:48 pm

I think, if the vet feels he is too poorly for the medication I suggested, he is too poorly for the surgery, as he will need good supportive medical care afterwards which will mean further antibiotic treatment, pain relief and anti-inflammatory care.

I can't really offer more advice than that, especially as I can't see him for myself, but I am convinced he needs an alternative antibiotic to stand any chance.

I'm so sorry you are both going through this. Crying or Very sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Sun May 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I think before you make any decision you need to try the medicaiton Sooz says-I know I would sooner know I have tried and some bunnies can really surprise you with their recovery.

I don't think I would risk the surgery though....however Im not medical....but as his mum only you know what will be best or decide how to move forward.
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Oh Lottie, I'm so sorry you're having to make such a difficult choice. re: your hope's of getting more opinions, I don't honestly feel I can offer one here, I don't know enough about vestibular infection, it's treatment, or problems that will arise from it, but all I will say is that if you have to go down the route of putting Kenzo to sleep, then you have nothing to loose by trying an alternative approach. Bunnies are very different and some will respond to certain things where others won't. I think Kenzo has an amazing fighting spirit in there, and i would be inclined to try, but I cannot put myself in your shoes. I'm sorry for what you're both going through Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Mon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks alot for your replies.
I just wanted to let you all know that I'll probably be taking Kenzo to the vet this afternoon instead of on friday.
Because he is breathing with dificulty and is dribbling a little.
He won't sit up, his eye that was still open is half closed now, and the only signs that prove he is alive are an ocasional nose twitch and the loud noise he makes when he breathes. He seems to be in pain, so unless a new treatment will imediatly kill the pain, I'll choose to put him to sleep.
I think I'd prefer him to die in my arms now than to die at the vet's...
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 pm

O Lottie, I'm so sorry.
A guy I know on a Dutch forum had to say goodbye to his bunny yesterday morning, it was just the same!
I'm thinking of you!

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... Hug_28
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm

My heart is breaking for you.

Im so very very sorry. I think that if kenzo has deteriorated this far you are doing the right thing.

Ill be thinking of you both.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Mon May 17, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm taking him to the vet at 6:30pm... here are a few recent pics of him, they are a few days old, he looks even worst now:

this is the best he can do when he tries to stand up, and he falls over after 3 seconds:
Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... P5160010

on my lap:
Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... P5160011

my baby <3

Please help me decide what I should do about Kenzo... P5160012
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon May 17, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm so sorry you've had to make this decision but I am sure whatever you have decided is the right thing for Kenzo, no-one knows him like you do. Hugs
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 pm

I've just caught up with this - I'm so sorry. You're doing the right thing for him, be brave. Huge hugs to you xx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am

I am so sorry to have only just caught up with this thread Lottie, I have exams and been in books. I just wanted to say that I think you made the right decision. It was very brave of you but the kindest thing.

I think your mum perhaps feels that this heart break isn't good for you and that is why she doesn't want you to have more pets as it is a fact of life that we out live them. She is probably just being protective. She will come round and perhaps one day you will feel ready to share the wonderful home you have, with another bunny. It would never replace Kenzo but with so many bunnies suffering in the world, I am sure he would want you to help another in his honour. Big hugs my darling xxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 am

I'm so sorry Lottie, you did the right thing, and the best thing for your boy, heartbreaking as it is.

I hope that one day you will get another bun and Kenzo's legacy will live on. Please don't be a stranger, we'll be hear to listen if you need it Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down