Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help please - potential bonding split?

2 posters

Go down

Help please - potential bonding split?  Empty Help please - potential bonding split?

Post by NSD Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 am

Hi everyone Wave

In the two months or so, Josephine has taken to chasing Bruce whenever she realises I'm about to give them their morning breakfast or a snack. I thought nothing of it, because Bruce's superior hearing meant that he could always tell exactly where the food was, and Josephine was a bit slow with it. So it made sense for her to follow him, and know that where he went, food would be. He's a bit of a pig and if she doesn't get in there fast he eats it all - so chasing him makes sense to me. Also, he seemed to enjoy it - he would be naughty and intentionally run away from the food, I think to play games with her.

But this morning it got a LOT worse.

I walked in to give them their morning breakfast, and Josephine ran towards Bruce and snapped at him! I checked him later, he wasn't bleeding, but he got a big fright and ran as fast as he could away from me and her, did his little "I'm scared" sound and thumped his foot several times. I divided the breakfast and coaxed him out with food - and then she ran at him and nudged his bum with her head again! He got quite upset and hid. While she didn't bite him, her body language/behaviour was quite aggressive. I chased her away and told her firmly "no" and that she was a bad bunny.

I waited until they were settled down and acting normally before I left for work.

What's wrong? Surely Josephine is not starving to death that she can justify being aggressive to him? He is a chubby bunny and she is lean (but not underweight - I have checked with the vet). I'm really concerned and upset because my two love each other so much normally! Could it be hormones? But they are both desexed. Was she just particularly hungry this morning? I feel like such a bad bunny mum leaving them alone all day in case poor Bruce is terrorised again - although in my (rational, not anxious about my bunnies) opinion it is brought on by me giving them food.

Any advice, help or explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Smile
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Help please - potential bonding split?  Empty Re: Help please - potential bonding split?

Post by KatieB Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 am

Sorry I cant give any practical advice hun, but Im sending Josephine some "behave yourself" vibes and hoping that her bad mood settles soon without any more incidents.

Nose rubs to them both, hope you are okay and I hope they sort themselves out very soon.

K x x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down