Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I doing the right things?? ETA picture

+2
Catsknickers
Kate7590
6 posters

Go down

Am I doing the right things??  ETA picture Empty Am I doing the right things?? ETA picture

Post by Kate7590 Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Riight well Im just after a bit of advice really coz Iv been hearing conflicting advice about lots of things lately :S

Well Iv got 4 bunnies, all living together harmoniously [sp?] in a large shed.
Iv heard for a pair of bunnies they should have a 6X2ft hutch..well the shed they are in is nearly 4 meters X 3 meters..Im not sure how that equates in ft ?? :S
They have a large litter tray which they all use well.

But iv heard that they should have one of each thing per rabbit, so 4 of everything for mine...well Iv only got 1 Xtra large dog bed, turned over with a blacket on so they can hide in or lay on, and they only have 2 tunnels not 4 :S they have 3 food bowls, 2 herb bowls and 1 treat bowl, so 6 bowls in total.
They have 3 water bottles too, but they usually just share one :S

And now for outside, iv heard said that they should only have a couple of hours max per day on grass..but I usually open their shed at about 10am and they come out and go in whenever they want until I lock their shed at about 9pm...am I doing the wrong thing here? I dont want them to be really bored being shut in their shed all day and thought the more enrichment they could have would of been better, but im starting to doubt myself.

I can get pictures of their set up if you cant visualise what I mean Smile

I just want some black and white, dont do this or do this etc etc...

Thanks in advance everyone xx

Last edited by Kate7590 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Am I doing the right things??  ETA picture Empty Re: Am I doing the right things?? ETA picture

Post by Catsknickers Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Will reply when I get in hun - just at work now.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Am I doing the right things??  ETA picture Empty Re: Am I doing the right things?? ETA picture

Post by Catsknickers Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Got 5 mins so will reply now, - Right it sounds to me as if you are doing it all perfectly. I have never heard that grass rule? In the wild bunnies are on grass all the time and all my friends have their bunnies out pretty much all day too.

If they aren't fighting over bottles and bowls then why worry?

I think you are all ok hun xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:Got 5 mins so will reply now, - Right it sounds to me as if you are doing it all perfectly. I have never heard that grass rule? In the wild bunnies are on grass all the time and all my friends have their bunnies out pretty much all day too.

If they aren't fighting over bottles and bowls then why worry?

I think you are all ok hun xxx

Thanks very much for your reply, I cant remember which site I read about the grass thing, I thought when I read it 'what about wild rabbits' but thought id check just in case. They difinatly arent fighting over anything, they get on really well.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Smile x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Sounds to me like they have a fab life. I think stick to what you are doing. The more time they can spend outside the better!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Kate, when you get these confusing things, like you, I used to just think 'what do wildies do?' and go with that, buns love grass, It sounds to me like you're doing everything just fine Smile

One caveat though is that if you have a bun not eating/pooing etc, it can be hard to know what's going on if the tray/food is communal. Some people create a separate area, in that instance, allowing contact, but removing the bun from the group so you can monitor intake/output Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaT Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm

They sound like very lucky buns Smile Would love to see photos of your set up Smile

I can only echo whats been said. Weather permitting all our rabbits are out all day, so I think youre doing the right thing Smile

Kate7590 wrote:Riight well Im just after a bit of advice really coz Iv been hearing conflicting advice about lots of things lately :S

Well Iv got 4 bunnies, all living together harmoniously [sp?] in a large shed.
Iv heard for a pair of bunnies they should have a 6X2ft hutch..well the shed they are in is nearly 4 meters X 3 meters..Im not sure how that equates in ft ?? :S
They have a large litter tray which they all use well.

But iv heard that they should have one of each thing per rabbit, so 4 of everything for mine...well Iv only got 1 Xtra large dog bed, turned over with a blacket on so they can hide in or lay on, and they only have 2 tunnels not 4 :S they have 3 food bowls, 2 herb bowls and 1 treat bowl, so 6 bowls in total.
They have 3 water bottles too, but they usually just share one :S

And now for outside, iv heard said that they should only have a couple of hours max per day on grass..but I usually open their shed at about 10am and they come out and go in whenever they want until I lock their shed at about 9pm...am I doing the wrong thing here? I dont want them to be really bored being shut in their shed all day and thought the more enrichment they could have would of been better, but im starting to doubt myself.

I can get pictures of their set up if you cant visualise what I mean Smile

I just want some black and white, dont do this or do this etc etc...

Thanks in advance everyone xx
AnnaT
AnnaT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm

AnnaT wrote:They sound like very lucky buns Smile Would love to see photos of your set up Smile

I can only echo whats been said. Weather permitting all our rabbits are out all day, so I think youre doing the right thing Smile

[

LOL that made me smile, even thought they can get in whenever they want, Charlie still chooses to stay and play outside in the rain! He sits under the willow tree then goes nuts binkying around then flops in the bit of garden at the end by the shed [where my OH is TRYING to grow grass seed lol]

Will get pics asap Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Thought id take a qiuck piccy out the window of the garden, the shed at the bottom and the bunsters. Will defo get some better pictures soon of their shed, and of each bunneh but thought this would give everyone an idea of where they live now Smile

Am I doing the right things??  ETA picture IMG_0536

PS- sorry about the state of the garden an the broken slabs, weve been in the house 4 weeks and unfortunatly the garden isnt a priority to get tidy atm lol
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaT Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Lucky bunnies. All my bunnies want to know when they can move in.
AnnaT
AnnaT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Total ********!

Mine are out of the hutch at 7.30 - 8.00 am and back in at 9.00 or when it is dark. They hate being stuck in their hutch and are always sitting looking out waiting to escape.

They don't have a bowl as I scatter their meagre supply of food straight onto the floor of the hutch. They have a bowl for water that they share and a water bottle in the hutch for during the day. They don't fight or scrape over them and are completely happy.

Your buns have a lovely garden and look completely happy. Don't worry about it.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Lucky bunnies Thumbs Up x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down