Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I contact the RSPCA?

4 posters

Go down

Should I contact the RSPCA? Empty Should I contact the RSPCA?

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 am

Hi, I would like some advice/opinions please

AS you know I got Hazel and Faline from a lady who had free range rabbits and a group of them were bullying Faline and esp. Hazel. Iam thinking of contacting the RSPCA due to the nature of Hazels injuries and evrytime I cuddle her I notice new scars and scabs that happened to her in her previous home. Now, should i contact the RSPCA? I think Yes because the woman didn't intervene early enough and I assume wasn't aware of Hazels bitten privates, or even worse, did know about it but did nothing. She should have protected Hazel much earlier than she did by looking at the age of the scabs and scars and missing fur.

I think No because as far as I am aware Hazel and Faline were the only two being bullied and the other rabbits are uninjured but i couldn't be sure. The rabbits did have plenty of freedom and were fed and watered and put safely in a garage overnight. The woman wasn't cruel to the rabbits, just ignorant and preoccupied with her dogs, house DIY etc...

I don't want to get her in major trouble or receive any hate texts (luckily she doesn't know where I live). I did think of contacting her myself but i should have done that as soon as I realised the state of Hazel. I don't know what to do....
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Should I contact the RSPCA? Empty Re: Should I contact the RSPCA?

Post by KatieB Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:28 am

ooo thats a tricky one hun.

It may be that if the buns are largely ignored that there my be other buns with injuries etc that are going un-noticed.

Im not an expert but I once reported an neighbour for neglecting her cat and the RSPCA turned up didnt give my name or anything but they checked the cat and gave her a month to improve things.

So from that respect I dont think anything bad will happen - and she wont know its you, and if there is nothing wrong with the buns then nothing lost. If there is - they will hopefully get any treatment they might need.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with katie. The RSPCA are there to educate. Removal of animals is usually due to extreme neglect/abuse, however, they how have tougher legislation behind them to require people to make changes or else they will remove the animals, and then potentially prosecute.

It's not an easy decision to make, however, your concern is with the welfare of the rabbits, as should hers be. I would do it for them.

I'm sure things have just got a little too much to handle TBH, it doesn't sound as if she has malicious intent there. Calling her yourself may end up with a you getting a load of abuse, and then not being able to vall the RSPCA, as it will be obvious who has done it. This is what they are here for, although, that said, I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't act on your complaint. It seems to depend on which branch it is, and their policies.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 am

Yeah just explain that you are concerned to the RSPCA about these rabbits and you want them checked to make sure they are all ok.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down