Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanting to save every bunny in the world...

+6
NickieM
Rhianna
Ruffin
Catsknickers
KatieB
LilyGrace
10 posters

Go down

Wanting to save every bunny in the world... Empty Wanting to save every bunny in the world...

Post by LilyGrace Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 pm

I wish I had more money and space...although I expect we all do! The petshop where I buy my rabbit supplies sells rabbits...and there's this black pair who have been in there for absoloutly ages now, I feel so sorry for them. And now they have gotten bigger it seems they are less appealing to the public compared to the teeny tiny baby buns who are there. They've even reduced the price of the girls to try n shift them Sad! I was so tempted to ask the shop assistant how long they had been there...and what was going to happen to them if they weren't sold. But I've resisted because I can't afford to keep them at the moment, I just really hope they find a good home and don't end up going to a rehoming centre and moved from pillar to post!
I hate the feeling of wanting to help all these tiny, innocent animals and just not being able to a feeling a bit useless! I'm sure everyone here gets the same feeling, so I just thought I'd share my frustration!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Wanting to save every bunny in the world... Empty Re: Wanting to save every bunny in the world...

Post by KatieB Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I am exactly the same.......if it wasnt for my hubby saying no - id have a housefull!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Wanting to save every bunny in the world... Empty Re: Wanting to save every bunny in the world...

Post by Catsknickers Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I sometimes lay awake at night thinking of all the animals that are suffering that I can't get to because I don't know about them and it really gets me down.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Sad that's really sad, I know what you mean though. I try not to think about it cause if I do I just keep worrying n trying to think of ways I can help, then knowing it's really not practical! But I suppose we are helping by looking after the animals we have got and being aware of the issues that go on...
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:58 pm

My Daughter is officaly banned from going in pet shops now she allways comes home with some four legged furry critter last time she went in she ended up with another guinea pig Daisy to keep her other one company ooopppsss Daisy turned out to be Dave now there are three additions so looks like me and Ruffin looking after Dave now. OHH the pet shop says they will take the babies as it was there mistake good way of cheap breading.
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Yes, there are a couple of agouti buns in a pet shop near me that a member on another forum highlighted and I went to have a look. I did ask what would happen to them and was told they haven't sold as they are 'ugly' and are free to a good home. I wasn't told what would happen if they couldn't give them away.

I will possibly be considering another bun to bond with Furby but I really want a girl and a rescue bun.

If I had the money for the vet bills I would definitely have more - but eight is already more than I had intended to have. I'm lucky to have been able to buy second hand hutches which are a good size and brilliant value.

When I took Furby to the vet for his check up and myxi my vet reminded me I'd said I wouldn't have any more and he said that I couldn't save every bunny in the world!! It doesn't stop me wanting to though!!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:04 pm

You have to keep it in perspective. That is how people end up with a houseful of animals that they can't afford and can't look after properly.

You are better to do what you can by not buying from a pet shop and giving your pets the best life possible. It is impossible to cure all the evils of this world. Doing the right thing in a small way is a step against it even if it doesn't seem to solve anything.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:36 pm

NickieM wrote:You have to keep it in perspective. That is how people end up with a houseful of animals that they can't afford and can't look after properly.

You are better to do what you can by not buying from a pet shop and giving your pets the best life possible. It is impossible to cure all the evils of this world. Doing the right thing in a small way is a step against it even if it doesn't seem to solve anything.

Oh yeah, definately, that's why I wouldn't get any more now! And if I did get another bunny, it'd be from a rescue place..not a petshop..I just felt bad for these guys as they will probably be another two who will end up in a rehoming centre, I hope someone can give them a home before that happens Smile. I would never take on more than I can handle, I know my limits...I just have to keep them in check Wink
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Rhianna wrote: I did ask what would happen to them and was told they haven't sold as they are 'ugly' and are free to a good home.

:O That's so mean, poor things....sounds like they have a great attitude there! Ugly just means cute Razz

Laughing about what your vet said...atleast we know our buns have good homes Love
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:07 am

Agouti buns aren't ugly, thats one of my fav colours!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 am

I know - these buns weren't ugly at all - they were lovely Sad

Apparently the third one was agouti and white and he found a home ages ago.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:56 am

I sometimes get overwhelmed by it all, and last week I truly lost it over the hidden suffering - it makes me so sad and angry and for a couple of days I was really in despair, but that doesn't do or change anything, but it seems to be a process I have to go through to make me take action. I can no longer go into pet shops, unless I'm feeling really strong, and then it's just to check that the animals are being looked after well. I had a blazing row with the manager at a garden centre during my rage - all their buns were in enclosures with guinea pigs. I picked up a book they had on sale about rabbit care, by Virginia Richardson (I 'd already read it) and showed her the page on not keeping pigs and buns together, then threw the book at her, literally, telling her that if she was selling a book on how to care for these animals, she may well be wise to read it and learn something herself Shocked I'm going back in a few days to check on them.

I hope your pet shop buns get the home they deserve, but I feel as impotent about it as you do, it's not a good feeling Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:31 am

Ugly pftt, what do they know. I have well 14 now after Saskia passing 7 cats, 7 rabbits and I ALWAYS make sure they have food before me, they are my priority if I don't have much money they get their food first before I even think about mine.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I can relate to that. I have eight cats and eight bunnies and I noticed the other day that all the healthy stuff in my trolley was for the buns!! I always make sure I have food for them in the house so that if I run out of money at the end of the month I know they are OK. I can eat baked beans on toast but they can't.

I have started foraging a lot more now as it has the win win situation of saving me some money AND being good for the buns AND getting me some exercise at the same time, which is a bonus!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Been there, seen it, done it, got the T shirt. Many years ago I went into a pet shop and saw a black bunny who was obviously older than the others on sale. She looked so sad and forlorn, so I asked about her and was told that she was over 3 months old and would be going to a local rescue the next week. So being a real softie I took her, was charged full price too. I called her Mavis, she was a moody little blighter. I already had four bunnies, 2 males and 2 females. I wont go into the ins and outs, but because of Mavis and the inbuilt ability of rabbits to escape from what we humans think is inescapeable, 14 other rabbits came into the world, 7 from her and 7 from one of her daughters. Although I had 18 rabbits at one point, I will never regret saving Mavis from going to the rescue, but it is not something I would do again, as I would only have rescue rabbits now.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down