Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing...

+6
Jay
KatieB
NickieM
Indie22
Velvet.Tears
Sprite
10 posters

Go down

Introducing... Empty Introducing...

Post by Sprite Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:45 pm

...our new little girl!!! Very Happy

This little fluff ball arrived at the weekend. She's roughly 13 weeks old and a Rex.

Have been meaning to get a companion for our Marley since we got him in the spring, and felt I now know enough/am comfortable enough to take on the responsibility of a 2nd little one.

Soooo here she is. And she's GORGEOUS Love the photos don't do her justice. So flully and small and just a little cutie!!

Introducing... Dsc09310

Introducing... Dsc09410

Introducing... Dsc09311

Introducing... Dsc09411

Introducing... Dsc09412

Introducing... Dsc09413

Introducing... Dsc09414

Introducing... Dsc09415
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Back to top Go down

Introducing... Empty Re: Introducing...

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 pm

awwwwww Love she is beautiful
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 pm

those ears!

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 pm

She is stunning. What a beautiful rabbit and those ears Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 am

She is absolutely gorgeous. Love
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 am

Aww, she's gorgeous Love Marley will be well impressed you got him such a cutie Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Ahh she's sooo cute ^_^ looks a lot like my Thistle Love
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks guys... yeh shes so cute, I havent got over it yet I get all silly over her every time I go out to see to them Laughing

She feels quite thin to me so I'm attempting to feed her up a lil and get a bit more padding on her for the cold winter months Wink

She seems to be growing in confidence in the week we've had her... however shes a bit skittish tonight with all the fireworks Sad x
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:16 am

What a beauty. No Photo ever does Rex fur any justice either x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:51 pm

No it doesnt - I keep saying to people look at how beautiful my new girl is and they hardly glance at her photo! But the ones who've seen/held her cooed over her. Very Happy Happy Dance
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:37 am

Wow! she is a beauty. Love
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 am

Thank you Very Happy

She's always putting her little feet up on her food bowl in her excitement to get to the food, like in the last piccy Laughing

xx
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi All,

I have some very sad news. We no longer have Lady.

She had seemed fine - lively, playful with Marley - eating and drinking fine, etc. Right up until late night when we last went out to feed and see them. Both were tucking into their food - Lady in particular as I remember her attacking a piece of cauliflower almost the side of her head! She was fine.

When we first got her she felt thin, and had very thin fur, and living outside I set out straight away to encourage a bit more weight on her so she wasnt too cold etc. And I'd said only last night to my partner that I was pleased at how her fur seemed to be thickening, but that she didnt seem to have put on any weight and still felt very thin in comparison to Marley - they had the vet's this evening so I said I'd query this with the vet when we saw him.

This evening I came home from work and thought I'd go out and fetch the cat carrier from the shed as they both had an appointment for their myxi. On my way to the shed I glanced at the hutch and immediately saw something was wrong - Lady was on the ground floor, laid on her side. Normally they both jump about when they see me step out as they think its food coming, but she was laid still. I ran over and knew something was very wrong - there was no blood or any sign of injury but she was laying as though unconscious and very slow and shallow breathing.

I called the vet and explained she was ill and asked could I bring her in straight away - they said yes but I think the receptionist felt I was a bit of a drama queen.

In all honesty, as there was no signs of any injury I thought she'd probably fallen through from the top floor as she was laid at the bottom of the ramp and fell through when we first got her. This in mind I was worried about lifting her because I thought if she'd hurt her back I'd hurt her even more - but having no choice in the matter, I got her into the carrier.

Seemed to take me a lifetime to secure the hutch (Marley still being in there) lock up the house and drive to the vet. Naturally I got stuck behind several old people determined to drive far too slow. The whole process was awful. Even when I got to the vet the receptionist made me join the queue behind a couple paying the bill, then answered the phone before she'd help me HBWS I was nearly in tears and how I didnt scream at her I dont know. When she was good and ready I hurriedly announced who I was and she glanced into the carrier and decided actually it was urgent after all (!!!!) and got a vet nurse to take me straight into the examination room.

The nurse got her out (not before getting her lovely little ears caught on the door Sad) and laid her down, saying straight away that she was too cold and too thin. She looked at the basics (listened to heart, etc) and said she'd get a vet to look at her but that it was probably not good news. This I'd known since I saw her laying there but it was still very hard to hear.

On her return the vet had decided that it was unclear what was wrong - she was in severe shock, and that I could either wait and see if they could revive her by warming her up, giving fluids, trying to put some weight on her, but that I'd be looking at spending at least £300 and frankly they didnt feel there were any guarantees. Alternatively they said I could just wait 24 hours to see how it went, and make a decision then. Or "end it", as the nurse put things.

An awful decision as always - I knew that financially I couldn't do too much, plus the nurse said it would be "intensive" treatment long term which sounded traumatic for her. I did consider for a minute giving it the 24 hours to see how things went, but actually having seen her it really felt that she was in a bad way and suffering and I didnt feel it was fair to keep her like that for 24 hours for selfish reasons, especially as the outcome was still unlikely to be good.

So I made the hard decision to have her put down Crying or Very sad

I just feel awful because of things the nurse said to me - saying she was too cold and too thin, I cant help but wonder if I didnt look after her well, but having spoken to OH now he assures me she seemed perfectly warm before this. And as for her weight, I didnt go before because she was eating so much that I didnt see it could have been a problem...

I was also asked if I wanted to be with her and declined (as I couldnt have coped well with that) but then immediately feel awful for leaving her with strangers in her last minutes.

I think I made the right decision, but its hard not to worry that I've done wrong by her. We'll never know exactly what the problem was now, or how long she was laid there in the cold.

So feeling a big rubbish this evening Crying or Very sad we only had her 15 days but I'd become very attached very quickly to this little one as she was such a little darling xxx
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Oh Sprite Hugs I'm so sorry, poor little girl. She won't be suffering anymore, you did the right thing. Lots of love to you, I know how it feels to lose something so precious. Sleep tightly little lady and have fun and the bridge xxxx
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 pm

So sorry to hear that, I feel very sad after reading this, god knows how you must be feeling. Big hugs sending your way. Maybe there was something underlying which caused this, I think you made the right decision as it sounds like the intensive treatment would have been very traumatic for her when she was already in shock. Sad Take care xxx
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm

What a dreadful shock for you. You must have been so worried about her.

None of us can say what you should have done because you were there and we weren't. All you can do at the time is to listen to the vet, trust your eyes and instincts and make a decision based on those.

Try not to blame yourself too much as these decisions are always the hardest and most painful to make. xx Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:17 pm

That's so sad Sad Sometimes they are just beyond what we can do without causing more grief. She knew love for the time she was there, from you and Marley Hugs

Sleep tight Lady x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind words. Hugs

Obviously it's been a difficult few days for us. My OH has also been quite upset, but I have taken it a little harder I think as I am finding it hard not to keep thinking about how she looked, acted etc when she was in that poorly state.

Now that I've had some time to reflect on things, I realise that we probably did the right thing throughout her short little life. It's easy to think that if I'd known how little time she had I'd have done this or that for her, or that if only I'd taken her to the vet the previous day or she'd lasted a few hours longer, things would have been different. But they weren't. And hindsight is a wonderful thing - having talked to OH we feel confident that we did all that we could for her at the time, to make her life as happy and comfortable as possible, and that I made the right decision when I suddenly found myself in that horrible position. (Again, it's too easy to think "what if I'd given it 24 hours", etc, but we will never know, but at least I know this way she hasn't suffered any longer than she has to.)

We have discussed getting a new little companion for Marley, (who must be a tad confused, poor little man) and will definately do this, but not just yet. It's now quite cold out, and it wouldn't be fair to get a new little bunny and take her straight out into this cold. We also need some time to get over the horrible shock and loss we are feeling at the moment.

Again, thanks for the support - it's been nice to come online and read responses from people who understand, when most people seem to feel she was "just" a rabbit and not worth being upset about. x
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 pm

What you lose someone you love, be it a person, a pet or 'just a rabbit', you grieve. Feeling guilty and wishing you had done things differently is part of the process and very normal. You did what you did for the best of reasons and gave her a happy, loving time while she was with you.

XX
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 am

Im so very sorry to hear whats happened.

You made her little life happy in the time you had her and no bun can ask for more than that.

Thinking of you and Marley.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm ever so sorry for your loss, she was a real beauty. I am confident you did the right thing for her and that you cared for her in the best way possible, Marley is evidence of that Introducing... 901982
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks guys Smile x
Sprite
Sprite