Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wish me luck please - UPDATE

+5
becky
Catsknickers
Kirsty&Lola
NickieM
Sixer
9 posters

Go down

Wish me luck please - UPDATE Empty Wish me luck please - UPDATE

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:43 am

So, Chris's work partner's 9 year old son has been hankering after a rabbit for his birthday. Chris has done his bit and gave Alan lot's of 'negative' info about rabbits so Alan put his foot down and said no to a rabbit. However the wife went behind Alan's back this week and was due to collect a 6 week old rabbit yesterday HBWS - on a bonfire night, with not having arranged any accommodation HBWS

She emailed Chris for advice, which he passed on to me. Thankfully she listened when I said poor baby bun was too young to be taken, but I have not said (yet) that someone who was prepared to let a baby bun go on a fireworks day does not have the rabbits best interests at heart. I spent a long time on the phone giving her info but she is just not listening to the fact that a bun is not a suitable pet's child or that a lone rabbit outside is bordering on cruel. I have also sent her the links to RWA, Rabbitrehome, MMC and Kay at Bunnyhops rescue but son the has set his heart on baby Daisy. The son has her convinced that he can offer all the love that a rabbit needs No and he won't take no for an answer.

They are coming up on later today to see my sheds and I will do my damndest to try again to talk her out of taking on a lone rabbit, or preferably not obtaining a rabbit at all. If I can catch Gabe, Rolling Eyes giving said child him to hold may be good as he wriggles and nips!

I will also suggest that maybe she could pass on the info I gave her gets passed on to this person who 'has lots of rabbits'.

Wish me luck

Last edited by Sixer on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wish me luck please - UPDATE Empty Re: Wish me luck please - UPDATE

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 am

Oh that is brilliant idea. Hopefully, Gabriel will do his bit.

Sounds like a thoroughly spoiled little boy and shame on his mother for letting him play them off each other. You should emphasise to mum how much work SHE is in for when little boy gets fed up and it is coming into winter and dark mornings and nights.

Maybe you could suggest a hamster as they can handled a bit more and are easier for a child to look after.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:32 am

i hope you can get through to her...sending naughty vibes for Gabe! Laughing
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Go Gabriel, do your work. Bless you for doing this Vanessa. I just don't know what it is with people. I have just had a bun handed over this morning who has lived on her own for 2 years and before that had a guinea pig friend Rolling Eyes I just give up sometimes.

Lets hope you and Gabe work your magic.

Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Well I wasn't able to catch Gabriel - Chris is insulating his wendy house so Gabriel has a lot more open run space than usual. Chasing him round to pick him up was not fair on Gabe who gets stressy about being picked up at the best of times.

However I did demonstrate Rosie, Hollie and Noo as my 'you can look but not touch bunnies'. Hollie stamped her feet and Rosie did her panicky look in my arms as I carried her to her run. She is better than she used to be but patently doesn't enjoy the experience.

So I think I may have got through a wee bit to the mother but I got the impression that the son has set his heart on this particular baby rabbit only, he showed very little interest in my six. He didn't want to hear what I was saying and although to be fair, he is only 9, I had hoped he might show some glimmer of understanding. I also got the impression the son is rather indulged and the mother was waiting for the son to agree that having this baby rabbit is not the right thing to do.

Anyway the mother has got Kay from Bunnyhops Rescue phone no, Kay is to return her call and speak to her later so hopefully between Kay and myself the mother may just put her foot down with the son.

I do hope so, at least I tried.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Well done for trying hun, I hope they do listen

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprite Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Seems to me rabbits are branded as an "ideal" pet for children - I understand children love them but actually they are a LOT of hard work to look after to properly. Not to mention expensive.

I love the two I've now got to bits but frankly I dont love the cleaning out or being outside in the cold/wind/rain/dark feeding and fussing them, or coughing up money for the hay,straw, treats, woodshavings and vet treatment.

As already pointed out, when this little boy decides he's not up for the work, Mum will end up doing it all. Or not doing it all, and bunny will get neglected.

I regularly go into Pets at Home and over to the adoption corner or whatever its called to see rabbits in there - usually by a sign saying "owners could no longer keep them" and identifying them as circa 10-20 weeks old. Which says it all.
Sprite
Sprite
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Good Luck hun. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

I really hope someone can get through to her.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:49 am

Well done for trying Vanessa, lets hope the mother sees sense and puts her foot down. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 am

It's so difficult isn't it? I hope you got the point through, well done for trying Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm

I have spoken to the Mum today and they have decided not to get the baby bun. After a long talk with the son, he admitted he really wanted a dog Rolling Eyes

However, poor baby bun and siblings will be off to the local petshop - from what was said I understand the owner of the baby is a regular supplier Mad

I had already been to this petshop with RWA leaflets, and they listened with polite disinterest. I wish I could do more to stop the selling of rabbits. I wish I could save all these buns. It is heartbreaking Crying or Very sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Well done on getting a result hun.

I know exactly what you mean. I have trouble even going into the shops that have buns it because it breaks my heart.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down