Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Readigrass, good or bad?

+2
NickieM
thumpersmum
6 posters

Go down

Readigrass, good or bad? Empty Readigrass, good or bad?

Post by thumpersmum Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm confused whether we should be feeding bunnies Readigrass and would like to see your thoughts and opinions. I've heard people say that it is high in calcium and therefore could cause bladder sludge, and also that it is possibly fattening due to the protein content. So should we give it to our bunnies?

I'm keen to get your thoughts and experiences, and I think some of you may have spoken to other experts as well so any input would be welcome.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Readigrass, good or bad? Empty Re: Readigrass, good or bad?

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm sure there was something recently that said it was OK, but I can't remember where I saw it.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Lynne Wave

I found this previous thread which has some useful info on it -

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t5650-hay-grass-and-readigrass

Hope that helps - it's something that I'm always confused about too.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I seems it's one of those unproven facts that gets perpetuated. Big Ears's research into it was really useful - FH-B says it's ok, so I'm happy to go with that Smile Although, I only give a small handful a day, and only on days when I can't get standard grass (the edible variety...)

When Bertie was having stasis bouts, I used to soak it for 1/2 an hour and give him it re-hydrated to get water into him, worked a treat Smile

Nickie, the thread you mentioned is here
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Interesting thread because according to the bag it is very low in calcioum? can anyone help please?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Snowy wrote:Interesting thread because according to the bag it is very low in calcioum? can anyone help please?
In the thread Jay quoted in his post, Big Ears says her vet (FHB I think?) says it is 0.8% calcium, so is OK to be fed in moderation, but not in huge quantities. I think that's right if I'm understanding it correctly? Hmmm
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Rosie Rabbit wrote:
Snowy wrote:Interesting thread because according to the bag it is very low in calcioum? can anyone help please?
In the thread Jay quoted in his post, Big Ears says her vet (FHB I think?) says it is 0.8% calcium, so is OK to be fed in moderation, but not in huge quantities. I think that's right if I'm understanding it correctly? Hmmm

Pretty much that yes. I asked specifically if I could give Artie readigrass as he is on a low calcium diet due to his bladder sludge problems and FHB said I was okay to give it in moderation as it isn't high in calcium. She said for rabbits generally if the food was more than 1% calcium to avoid them or give them as a very occasional treat etc but that Artie shouldn't have anything that high. From a calcium and phosphus point of view - grass is the natural food of rabbits and is therefore the right balance in these two items - according to the readigrass packet!! But it sounds right to me. (Rabbits with bladder sludge problems have to avoid high phosphorus foods too).

I've read that rabbits will drink a lot of water to rehydrate after eating readigrass so that is worth bearing in mind, I've also read it's risky for very young rabbits (as it could cause gas).

thumpersmum wrote:I'm confused whether we should be feeding bunnies Readigrass and would like to see your thoughts and opinions. I've heard people say that it is high in calcium and therefore could cause bladder sludge, and also that it is possibly fattening due to the protein content. So should we give it to our bunnies?

I'm keen to get your thoughts and experiences, and I think some of you may have spoken to other experts as well so any input would be welcome.

Just reading back the bit there about fattening. Esme is overweight and in conversation I mentioned to FHB that I gave her readigrass as a treat and she said if she eats hay happily there is no need to give her readigrass... as she would be better with the less fattening hay. So, yeah, avoid it if the bunny is already overweight would be good as well.

Last edited by Big Ears on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added other comment)

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I looked on the packaging for readigrass and this is the information

calcium 8g per kilogram (so 0.8% as mentioned above)
energy 12/13 mg per kilo
fibre 32%
oil 2%
protein 15%

If it is the protein then at what level is it high and therefore fattening? I've been looking round the internet and it's starting to confuse me as Timothy which is considered low protein, depending in when it is cut can be 11% protein.

The same with Calcium. what is a high level? Kale is considered high calcium at 130mg per 100g which is 0.13%

I'm confused, I wish owning bunnies was simpler!!!!!!!!

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm confused, I wish owning bunnies was simpler!!!!!!!!
I think we all feel that Lynne, there just doesn't seem to be the definitive answers out there, but there is a lot of speculation and non-proven info that gets perpetuated without the research to back it up.

I don't know what a safe level of calcium is, but as for protein, it is confusing. SS has 14% protein, which is quite high, I think, but don't know that it's too high. To me, all this just adds weight to the argument that rabbits should have pellets only as a supplement, and not as a staple. If you're feeding high protein hay and pellets combined, then IMO, hay is the better option.
After lots of convo's with Anne about diet, I'm certain that pellets are not good as a meal, but in small quantities, infrequently, are a sufficient dietry supplement. Buns should have low quality herbage, that is what they're designed to digest. Now that Stuart's past 6 months, I'm gonna be weaning him off pellets, and he'll just get them as a treat. By Spring, I'm hoping to be feeding him a lot more grass and leaves, and smaller amounts of veg. He'll only eat Timothy hay, and a lot of it, so I'm happy that he'll get his protein needs from that.

Hope you get some answers, it's a good thread you've raised Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down