Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi

+5
Velvet.Tears
Josephine
NickieM
Big Ears
NSD
9 posters

Go down

myxi - Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi Empty Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi

Post by NSD Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Excuse me everyone, but i'm really angry and upset right now.

As some of you may know, in Australia the vaccine for myxomatosis is an illegal substance in Australia. The consequences of importing it are the same as importing proper drugs (such as cocaine) and vets cannot administer it under any circumstances. If you take your rabbit out of the country, you're not allowed to bring it back into Australia - in case you got your rabbit vaccinated while you were overseas.

Because of our torrential rain, we've been having swarms of mosquitos and there has been an epidemic in rabbits dying because of myxi.

This situation of itself already makes me angry, and then this article was on the front page of today's paper: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/mosquitoborne-epidemic-bumping-off-backyard-bunnies-20110108-19jgl.html

The ban on the myxi vaccine is barely mentioned! And the illogical reasoning behind banning the myxi vaccine in Australia is not even touched upon! The government actually thinks that if domestic bunnies are vaccined, they'll escape into the wild and spread their vaccine to the wild rabbits! Not only is that impossible, but wild rabbits have already developed an immunity to the milder forms of myxi, but our domestic bunnies don't have it at all!

I'm just so frustrated. Bunnies are dying because there is no vaccine and because their owners don't know how to protect them properly. I'm also scared that a mosquito might slip by my defences and kill by two babies. Sad

On the plus side, it did mention that people should keep their rabbits inside, but it's not a well researched piece at all.

Sorry I'm just in a bad mood.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

myxi - Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi Empty Re: Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi

Post by Big Ears Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 am

That's just heartbreaking. I can't bear the idea of being late with or not vaccinating my bunnies, it must be really hard knowing there is a vaccine but you can't use it. Crying or Very sad

I really hope they change the law soon. There's loads of wild rabbits round here and myxi is rife so vaccinating domestic rabbits doesn't seem to be making a lot of difference to wild rabbits.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

myxi - Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi Empty Re: Getting so frustrated with our government and stupid myxi

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 am

It did mention that rabbits were becoming more popular and that more adults were keeping them. That means that hopefully, adults will be more vocal about their own bunnies than they would have been if they were just pets for their children and there little depth of feeling for them other than to just please the kids.

You never know, this might be the start of a backlash against the vaccination ban. Maybe you should contact the paper and talk about your experience as it might spark others to do so too.

At least there are some precautions you can take, but it must be so worrying for you. I hope your pair are safe until this bad weather passes. Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:39 am

Poor bunnies, it is heartbreaking to think of how those infected with myxie are suffering.
There is a positive message there though,about rabbits being the third most popular pet and also being kept indoors by adults rather than for children. Lets hope people see this and act upon it. Not that I think rabbits should be kept indoors all the time, I let mine out for a run around when the weather permits.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks guys Hugs I know I'm overreacting a bit about this, and ignoring the small good points about the article, but I'm just getting very frustrated at the moment.

I made my dad read the article, as he thought I was being over paranoid by ensuring the doors are closed by mid-afternoon so mosquitos can get in. He seems now to understand how important it is. As if i'd make it up! HBWS
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Aww thats terrible, why don't you start a petition to get people to sign so that they can see how important the vaccine is?
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Sad Awful, the Govt. are appeasing farmers with this nonsense, but it's based in no fact at all. As Nickie said, I hope a movement can take place to get this sorted out, based on science not politics. Hugs I can't imagine how frustrated you must be.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:21 pm

God, thats awful.

Im not surprised you are worried hun. Hugs

Like Nickie said - is it worth contacting the Paper with some further information?

At least there is some positive stuff in there which I hope people will take the time to read.

I really hope that a change can be made.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am

Heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking, sending you masses of hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks guys. The lady I adopted bruce from wrote into the paper. I know I was overreacting but the stress of summer with these two is getting to me.

You're right Jay, it's all about the farmers. It's ridiculous, given the amount of tax breaks etc they get, and since PET rabbits never hurt their farms.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:09 am

I don't know if you've seen this already Nic, but there is a website from the House Rabbit soc. of Australia that is campaigning for the vaccine.
Here's the link**Contains upsetting images**

There doesn't seem to be a facebook site for them though, perhaps you could get this going for them, I think it would reach a bigger audience.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Why is it that where ever you live, the law is an ass?!!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Jo, the law is made by politicians who need to pander to "interest groups" (in my case, farmers). Politicians don't want to lose their next election, so they pass laws such as this.

Thanks for the link Jay, I just signed the petition. I know this sounds bad, but I have always dismissed their website because of its 1990s layout and design. It's not well written either. Hmmm maybe I should get involved, at least help them get the basics of a good web presence.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 pm

I think you would be perfect to help them out. Def worth contacting them!

Good Luck honey. x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 pm

[quote="NSD"]Jo, the law is made by politicians who need to pander to "interest groups" (in my case, farmers). Politicians don't want to lose their next election, so they pass laws such as this.

How very true.

Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 pm

NSD wrote:
Thanks for the link Jay, I just signed the petition. I know this sounds bad, but I have always dismissed their website because of its 1990s layout and design. It's not well written either. Hmmm maybe I should get involved, at least help them get the basics of a good web presence.
I know exactly what you mean by that, it does look amateur and lacking presentation. Perhaps you could show them the House rabbit soc's site and Rabbit welfare assoc's site to push them in the right direction, but I think they'd be really glad of any help you could give, and us lot could chip in too if needed. I build sites, (in an amateur kinda way) make films and can make Flash animation as well, I built Theo's site. It's worth a try Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:41 pm

It is very confrontational and that is a bit off-putting, even though I agree with what they are doing. I want a web-site to be rational and well-balanced so that the facts speak for themselves without a lot of emotional rhetoric.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:15 pm

NickieM wrote:It is very confrontational and that is a bit off-putting, even though I agree with what they are doing. I want a web-site to be rational and well-balanced so that the facts speak for themselves without a lot of emotional rhetoric.

Here here Nickie. That's a reason why I am put off by many animal welfare groups, especially at uni. They're extremely emotional.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down