Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow and my DH

+2
Jay
AprilGirl
6 posters

Go down

Shadow and my DH Empty Shadow and my DH

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:02 am

Hi everyone

Shadow and my Hubby don't get on, I'm wondering if it's a hierarchy thing and Shadow is trying to be the alpha male. He is so loving to me, grooms me, runs the circle of love constantly, nudges me for nose rubs and always bows his head to me, he's great with the children (James is 9 and Amelie is 3) doesn't really take them on but doesn't attack them BUT DH he does attack. DH is always first up and with Shadow being in the kitchen at the moment obviously has to dodge around him while getting breakfast and lunch ready before work, almost every morning Shadow "goes" for him Shocked apparently this morning he actually jumped up and bit his leg Shocked DH (Mark) doesn't feed him in a morning and I've said maybe he's trying to get attention for breakfast but he doesn't do it to me if I'm first up (very rare) and don't feed him straight away. It's now got to the point that Mark has TOLD me that Shadow has to go back out into his hutch Crying or Very sad which I'm worried about as he's been inside since November when the cold and snow started and I'm scared that he'll not be able to adapt back with being acclimatised to the central heating. Mark won't budge on it and has said he wishes he'd never agreed to me having Shadow as he thinks I'm being devious and going behind his back to make him a house rabbit when he insisted he'd be outside. I'd ALWAYS said I wanted a house rabbit especially when I learnt they could be litter trained.
Mark hates the mess in the kitchen and I agree that it's not exactly hygienic but he won't let me buy an indoor cage. Shadow isn't a difficult rabbit, he's great he doesn't chew things (much Laughing ) and he's adventurous (goes upstairs alot) Mark left me a message on the blackboard in the kitchen this morning saying SHADOW MUST GO OUTSIDE TODAY, what can I do? What do you think?
Help
E x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Shadow and my DH Empty Re: Shadow and my DH

Post by Jay Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am

Oh sorry to hear that. I really wouldn't put him outside yet, if you say to Mark that he'll most likely end up with a load of vets bills if you do, it might sway him. Shadow could well end up with respiratory illness and cold if he does.

It sounds like a fairly common behaviour issue. I suspect that Shadow simply knows that Mark doesn't like him there. They do pick up on this. Shadow will be responding to your pheromones and your love and attention.
I would try to get Mark involved. If he starts feeding Shadow little bits of veg, or pellets, and ultimately if he can get him to eat off his hand, that will be the first indication of bonding.

TBH (and I don't mean this disresectfully to Mark) it sounds as if he needs to change the way he thinks about Shadow. Try the little treats etc, and who knows, he may weeble his way into his affection.

It's not an uncommon situation, but I'm sorry you're having this, it's difficult.

I cannot reiterate enough though, Shadow must not go outside until the weather has warmed up. It sounds a bit strong, but would he put one of your children out there? No, he wouldn't. Rabbits need a thick coat to survive, and Shadow won't have this until he has lived through an autumn.

however, if there's a shed he can go in, perhaps that you can heat, that may be ok.
Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 am

Thank you Jay.

I needed someone to tell me in black and white that my Boy shouldn't be going outside yet.

Mark does feed him when I'm out but obviously I don't know if he talks to him etc, I imagine that he just puts the food down and walks away. He never takes him on while I'm around and even when I'm fussing Shadow in my arms I'll say to Mark to give him a fuss all he does is rubs him with one finger then walks off, he's a stubborn hard headed b****er. I did notice the other day that Shadow was licking Mark's slippers but Mark didn't take him on, Shadow once ate the bottom of his jeans as he didn't know what he was doing and that hasn't gone down very well.

Will try and get round Mark (pointing out what you said about the vet bills) and see if he'll try to bond, thing is Shadow's a glutton for his food (as you'll know our Rexes love their grub Laughing ) so will take from anyone, how else can he bond with him?

Thank you again, I hate the thought of my boy out in the cold!
E x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am

Ooh another question....
Would Shadow be ok, outside in his run for a short time during the day? Obviously not if the grass is wet but just to get a little exercise and fresh air (and knowing Shadow to eat lots of brambles and grass and pear branches and anything else that happens to get in munch distance)

Then I could give the kitchen a jolly good clean as I can't leave him alone in the front room while I do it!

E x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 am

[b]If its not to rude what does DH stand for when I first got ruffin she used to bite my wife it didn't last long when she started feeding her and giving her treats Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 am

Sorry DH=Dear Husband
Mark does occasionally feed Shadow, wonder if he fed him in the morning it would make a difference, I have said if he fed him then he wouldn't be trying not to stand on him as he'd be in one place eating and not interesting in trying to savage his leg Laughing
E x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am

paul gets up before me, and him and Stewie have their brekky together. he gives him his pellets by making him stand up for them, just a few, but it's a little ritual that they have in the mornings.

Paul's allergic to buns, so can't make lots of physical fuss over him, but this gives them contact time Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am

AprilGirl wrote:Ooh another question....
Would Shadow be ok, outside in his run for a short time during the day? Obviously not if the grass is wet but just to get a little exercise and fresh air (and knowing Shadow to eat lots of brambles and grass and pear branches and anything else that happens to get in munch distance)
E x
you have to asses the temperature. If it's cold, frosty or snowing, then only for short periods. The biggest problem is repeatedly going from cold to warm to cold etc. if you're gonna leave him out there for long, then make sure he has somewhere snug to go in, a big cardboard box with a blanket and hay in it, or if you have a hutch, insulte it with cardboard and lots of hay.

As soon as we're over the worst of the winter, it'll be ok for short spells, but not in and out all day.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 pm

[b] Jay how did you get away with calling your rabbit Stewie I wanted to call our first bun Stuart shortened to stew but got a whack round the head from my wife Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b] Jay how did you get away with calling your rabbit Stewie I wanted to call our first bun Stuart shortened to stew but got a whack round the head from my wife Laughing
Laughing Always best avoided, that Wink

When he was found wandering the streets he was 5 weeks old, and the rescue he went to called him Stuart, after Stuart Little - him being tiny and white. We did think about changing it, obviously, but then I figured it was a part of his past that was important, and that we should keep, if only to remind us of his poor start in life. He gets 'Stuart' a lot at home, but he's Stewie Bunsta really, and I think it suits him completely, so can live with it Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Why not put hubby in the hutch outside?!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AprilGirl Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Nice idea, see how he likes it! Would actually suit me better, prefer Shadow's company sometimes Laughing Laughing
E x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I know just what you mean!!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Why not put hubby in the hutch outside?!!

Jo xx

Sounds like the perfect solution to me ROFL Thats exactly what I would do with my OH if he suggested my Roo go outside!

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Why not put hubby in the hutch outside?!!

Jo xx

lol Shadow and my DH 811805 Shadow and my DH 811805 Shadow and my DH 811805

sometimes my house soooooooooo manic with a 5 year old, 4 year old and a 20mth old, I feel like living in the hutch myself!!!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down