Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sore Hocks

5 posters

Go down

Sore Hocks Empty Sore Hocks

Post by wizbit Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi everyone

Recently my vet diagnosed Daisy as having sore hocks. I have been putting sudacrem and aloe vera gel on her feet alternately morning and night and we have bought some foam tiles for the floor of their pen. Her feet are quite sore but I'm hopeful the flooring will help.

This evening though, I have discovered that Oscar seems to have sore feet too now. I rescued him at the end of last year from a tiny hutch in a garden and he now lives in the house with us. I feel so guilty that he has sore feet now though Sad

Does anyone know, does the fur on the bottom of their feet ever grow back once they develop sore hocks?

thanks.

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Sore Hocks Empty Re: Sore Hocks

Post by KatieB Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Hun

We have a few people her who have experience of sore hocks. Hopefully someone will be along soon,

Sorry I cant help with this one.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Ahhh thanks, I hope you don't have to experience it, it's a nightmare trying to get something soft for them to stand on that they won't bite and chew! Also, as soon as I put the cream on her feet she tries to lick it off....

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I know that one of our members used foam tiles when her boy had sore hocks and it did really help?

What other flooring are they on? It may help.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi tracey it's meeee! I'm away at the moment but will be on here properly tomorrow Smile xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Now if anyone knows about sore hocks it is this lady. You are most definitely in safe hands now. Hope things get better.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 am

SJ knows loads about hocks Smile in the meantime you may get some info from this thread
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 am

Hi SJ - I've sent you a couple of texts - Oscar now has sore heels too... Crying or Very sad

Thanks Jay for the thread - I was actually reading your posts a few weeks ago as Daisy had just been diagnosed then.

I have taken SJ's advice and bought some foam tiles which Daisy has now been on since Sunday evening so I guess I just need to be patient and hope. She's not overly keen to sit on it and keeps sitting in her tray of hay instead Rolling Eyes

Oscar is more of a problem - I put a couple of the foam tiles in his pen and got home last night to find that he had chewed them to bits.... So, I tried a thick cotten bath mat last night but he started to pull that to bits too. I have left him today with a layer of hay over his carpet. I just feel so bad that they are all getting sore feet... Embarassed

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Hiya Tracey, sorry didnt reply I had no signal while I was away.
Are Oscars sore or is it that you are noticing because of Daisy? Try not to get too worried as sometimes Jelly/Domino get red feet and then its fine, but you are naturally noticing more because you are having problems with Daisy's feet if that makes sense?

When you come to me if you can hang around for a bit thats great if not maybe come down half hour earlier so we can have a chat and a look at her feet together as i know that will ease your mind a bit.

If Daisy is sat in her tray then thats fine - because its thick hay. The problem is Daisy doesnt help herself i.e she nibbled and she even ate carefresh, which would be a good bedding for her, so it is difficult. Is she still having shavings in the tray?I would get rid of that and just give her hay, because shavings can really irritate hocks, I would layer newspaper and then hay. as long as she wont eat it!!

Its not your fault, we dont cause these things. The problem with Jay's Stewie is that his feet are too long, Peanut had a slipping leg, and okay you get the same symptom - sore hocks, but it doesnt always come from the same reason to begin with.

I hope the foam tiles help Daisy, I think they will.

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi SJ

Thanks for your reply - I wondered if you were away or something as you hadn't responded. I think maybe I am a bit paranoid now about their feet but Oscar's are definitely quite red although as Darren pointed out, it could be normal for him.

Daisy is gradually getting used to the foam tiles and she has only been on them since Sunday night so I guess I am being a bit impatient expecting her feet to have improved since then. I might try her on carefresh again as she was quite tiny when she used to eat it and I will put a layer of hay over the shavings for now.

We will be able to stop for a while when we come to you and it would be good to get your opinion. Thanks for your advice as always, this is causing me a real worry.

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down