Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buzzards again - West Sussex

+2
jolovesbunnies
RWAF
6 posters

Go down

Buzzards again - West Sussex Empty Buzzards again - West Sussex

Post by RWAF Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am

Another warning following the first alert of yesterday.

In response to the recent message about Buzzards. I was in the garden last Sunday with one of my rabbits who was roaming free (safely). She suddenly became very frightened and froze. I desperately was looking around and could not see what was upsetting her. I then heard a vulture-like cry and looked up to see 2 buzzards circling above the garden. They did not seem frightened of me at all, even though I was standing right next to her. I brought her in and only them did the birds disperse. Very worrying.

Sue Aburrow

Ashington, West Sussex .
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Buzzards again - West Sussex Empty Re: Buzzards again - West Sussex

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Yes it is love and I am glad you spotted it in time.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Yes it is love and I am glad you spotted it in time.

Hugs

Jo xx

Hi Jo

What I posted was a quote from a message sent to us by a RWAF member. It's so fortunate that she was alert to her rabbits' fear and able to get them indoors without there being any problems.

We've had another report which I'll post today
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Because I live in an area with a high population of buzzards, I am aware of their presence and can categorically state that my rabbits have never been spooked by buzzards. Buzzards usually circle thousands of feet up riding the thermals coming up from the land. You can tell them by their 'kee kee' call.

It is very unlikely that they are interested in pet rabbits. My rabbits are more scared of seagulls than buzzards.

This is from the RSPB's website

Buzzards principally eat small rodents, but also take birds, reptiles, amphibians, larger insects and earthworms. Prey up to 500g is taken by active predation; anything heavier is usually carrion or seriously enfeebled individuals.

Gamebirds are sometimes taken, though these make up only a tiny proportion of the diet. Buzzards are more likely to feed on carrion.

I can understand people feeling worried when they know there is a bird of prey over their house, but you need to find out a bit more about their habits before you can categorically conclude that they are a threat.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Im hoping to go to the Hawk conservancy in the next couple of weeks and will pose the question.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Rabbits can die from shock alone. While a buzzard may not be able to take an adult pet rabbit (except perhaps one of the dwarf breeds), they could nevertheless inflict terrible injuries. The shock of that may potentially cause the rabbit to die.

Not to pass on these warnings would be most irresponsible of RWAF. If we had one of these stories and didn't pass it on, then heard later that a rabbit had indeed been killed in the area the warning the come from...well, I for one could never forgive myself

We also pass on warnings of VHD and Myxomatosis in various parts of the country. It would be equally irresponsible not to pass those on
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 pm

All warnings are of course important and the information from RWAF is always appreciated.

However, Its also good to get all of the information so that people can make an informed decision before deciding to keep their buns inside.

Katie

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

RWAF wrote:Rabbits can die from shock alone. While a buzzard may not be able to take an adult pet rabbit (except perhaps one of the dwarf breeds), they could nevertheless inflict terrible injuries. The shock of that may potentially cause the rabbit to die.

Not to pass on these warnings would be most irresponsible of RWAF. If we had one of these stories and didn't pass it on, then heard later that a rabbit had indeed been killed in the area the warning the come from...well, I for one could never forgive myself

We also pass on warnings of VHD and Myxomatosis in various parts of the country. It would be equally irresponsible not to pass those on

I completely agree with you and I don't wish to appear rude at all. I admire the work that you do tremendously.

However, if Buzzards are perhaps not something that people see very often in some parts of the country there is a tendency to be scared and over-react when you see them. It is very rare for a buzzard to come within a few hundred feet of the garden. While it may look like they are circling over YOUR garden, in fact they are up to a 1000 feet up.

Buzzards tend to hunt on open ground, hence them flying around the Downs. They would not be attacking rabbits in a garden environment at all as it is too closed an area for them. The circling behaviour is social as well as hunting.

My rabbits get more stressed by seagulls flying low overhead and squawking rather than buzzards who are so high up they don't even notice them. Also, buzzards, like to some Birds of Prey, notably Red Kites are primarily carrion feeders.

I don't mean to be rude, but just feel it is a shame for these beautiful birds to be accused of something that it is extremely unlikely that they will do. I think the warning needs to be kept in proportion.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 pm

No accusations have been made and we're not about to attack any wild animals. We need balance in nature. What we're advising, as we always do, is that owners whose rabbits have outdoor exercise ensure that that exercise is taken in a safe enclosure where NO predators can get to them.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

I have been looking on the internet about Buzzards and came across this below it mentions Buzzards under 'Predators'

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/understand-rabbit-behaviour

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 am

They will predate rabbits but as it mentioned later in the article, they tend to pick on ill and injured wild rabbits. It is a means of expending less energy.

The chance of them coming into a domestic garden is extremely slim.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/feeding.aspx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 am

NickieM wrote:They will predate rabbits but as it mentioned later in the article, they tend to pick on ill and injured wild rabbits. It is a means of expending less energy.

The chance of them coming into a domestic garden is extremely slim.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/feeding.aspx

I don't think a Buzzard would swoop down into a domestic garden either as they like vast space to land and take off again and I think a garden would be far to small an area for a Buzzard.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:52 pm

I was reading about Buzzards & Buns in Anne's book 'Rabbits & Hares' a couple of weeks ago, it's quite interesting.
Nickie, what the RSPCA quote omitted was this "The diet of young nestling Buzzards is composed almost exclusively of rabbits."
I suspect that like foxes, they are opportunist, and Buzzards living in more urban areas will pose more of a potential threat to pet buns than those living where they have nearby access to heathland and/or agricultural land.
We have 2 Buzzards living in the small woods behind us. There's no bunnies here, but plenty of gardens, and they do fly lower than the ones that I see on the Downs. Whether or not they come into gardens I don't know.

When Myxi was first introduced, the number of Buzzards reduced significantly, but more significantly, the number of eggs they produced per season went down drastically. "One population of buzzards which had regularly produced 28-33 chicks a season pre-myxomatosis, reared none in 1955 and only 7 in 1956."

In this respect I can see how it could happen. They are capable of lifting small to medium buns, but given the choice, I suspect it's unlikely that they would come into a garden, but if there is a shortage of other prey/dead food due to extreme weather, for example, then Buzzards, like all animals, will do whatever it takes to get food for their young.
There a bit more info on it here http://www.wbrc.org.uk/WorcRecd/Issue10/buzzard.htm

So I guess some people living in certain environments should know about it and think about taking precautions. I spoke to a Twitcher friend of mine about it this morning, who said it was a very likely possibility, but not common.

I also am thrilled to see the return of this beautiful bird, there's quite a few round here now, I lay out on Southampton Common watching the glide around, so tranquilising Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum