Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent

3 posters

Go down

Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent Empty Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent

Post by RWAF Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:47 am

This is a message received from one of our RWAF members- as below.

-+---------------------------------+-

I have just been working in the garden in MAIDSTONE just south of the North Downs . I have been watching a pair of BUZZARDS circling high above. They will eat lots of things but rabbits are a favourite. Could you please advise all members to be very aware. According to my bird book they are steadily moving eastwards. Regards Dave Gomar
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent Empty Re: Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am

Buzzards oh no! Shocked

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent Empty Re: Danger of buzzards in Maidstone, Kent

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:27 am

I think this is a little alarmist. Buzzards are mainly carrion feeders.

We have woods at the back of us which are filled with buzzards. I often see them circling high above. What they are doing is riding the thermals to get high to look for prey. It is true that they take rabbits, but to take a healthy adult rabbit is rare. They tend to look for sick, injured or young rabbits. This time of year there will be plenty of rabbits on the downs just coming out of their burrows.

In the five years that my rabbits have been loose during the day - along with other neighbours who keep rabbits - none of them have been in any danger from buzzards.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down