Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I add him to my group??

+2
KatieB
Kate7590
6 posters

Go down

Should I add him to my group?? Empty Should I add him to my group??

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Right...I have a predicament [sp?]

Not sure how much you know, but this is my set up...I have 3 girls and 1 boy living together here with me, all nuetered.
I also have 1 un-nuetered boy living at my parents house.

The group have a very big space.
Should I add him to my group?? 001-1

and I feel have lots of enrichment, I feel and hope they enjoy their life, they have much more room than most pet rabbits.

Bramble also has a very large living space, but its inside..
He has a huge run in my parents barn, run measures about 4ft X 20ft and 3 ft high.
Because my dad looks after him he doesnt go outside at all [my dad is 70 and doesnt feel confident picking Bramble up]
but he does get alot of attention..dad sits and talks with him while Bramble eats his breakfast Smile

Bramble is about 7 or 8 yeras old now so thats another point I dont know about...

Basically I am wondering wether to try and introduce Bramble to my group, where he will have much more enrichment, he'll have friends aswell.
I think hes too old to nueter???? So would this make things harder?
Hes not at all badly treated at my parents, but I see what my group has and wish Bramble could have the same...I really dont know what I should do??
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Should I add him to my group?? Empty Re: Should I add him to my group??

Post by KatieB Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm

I dont think Id know him well enough to even suggest what bramble might prefer hun.

I dont know about the neutering either Im afraid, I imagine the risks there may be slightly increased as he is an older bun.

Perhaps it might be worth giving him a trial to see how he gets on, be there at the ready in case anything kicks off?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm

The other thing is, he is 80miles away from me, so Id have to work out how we are going to bond them, it will probably be easier to do it at my parents and put them in the conservatory. We are going there on friday for a long weekend, so maybe we could try it then.

Thanks for your reply Katie Smile

Any other input appriciated xx
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:49 pm

you would have to chat with your vet about if he is healthy enough to be neutered. We had a 7 year old bunny go under aesthetic and come out fine, but i know some don't and there are great risks.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 pm

id really rather not risk having him nuetered tbh. Would he not get along with the group if he were not nuetered?
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm

I doubt it, if he was older he might have less hormonal instinct than say a younger bun but in reality he will still be hormonal. I wouldnt hink adding an unneutered buck despite his age, would work at all.

Its a shame because like you say he could have a great life with your other buns. I would have a health check done on him and see what some vets think, some buns are just as healthy at 8 as they are at 3 or 4! But if he has compromised health then I can see why you wouldnt want to!

its a tough decision x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 pm

You could run the risk of destabilising your existing group if you put in another male and an intact one at that.

You don't say why you are considering taking Bramble, but would it be possible for your parents to get a companion rabbit for him or is that out of the question. If you are taking Bramble because your parents can no longer cope, then you might have to let him live alongside but not with the other buns and just see how things go.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for all your replys guys.
To be honest there is no real reason I want him here other than I think he would like having this environment and having friends....

However he has lived where he is now all his life and seems happy with his home, my dad also looks after him very well, offering Bramble a huge variety of veggies every day.

I think the reason I have been thinking about bringing him here is that at the moment my parents are on holiday, and we are going there for a long weekend on friday til monday, and my gran [who lives next door to them] is looking after Bramble, so he wont have much company..... sounds very silly when I say that but my minds been all over the place lately and I just want him to be happy.

To be honest I didnt think about it upsetting my group, thats a big thing to consider, seeing as I really have no other option for them, ie housing them seperatly.

I think Iv made my decision, Ill leave Bramble where he is, afterall hes happy there Smile

Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for your input Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I think that's a wise decision. Single rabbits can be happy on their own if they get some quality interaction and it sounds like your dad does that. It might be a very upsetting thing to take him from them and his own territory and parachute him into an area reeking of strange rabbits. They are such easily upsets little things that if he is the age he is, you are better leaving well alone.

It was a really kind thought and maybe a companion might be something for your parents to consider.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

Bless him he sounds happy. I know you have made your decision but just for reference I had an 8 year old male castrated. He was fine. It would be nice for Bramble, but as Nickie said it may upset the apple cart in your group. Yur set up lis so fab btw Very Happy
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down