Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do rescues charge for adoptions?

+13
DixieLuBun
4390evans
Josephine
Catsknickers
Sue_pawz
Ruffin
alicia
NickieM
Vince the bunny
LilyGrace
Josie
KatieB
willowholly
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How much do rescues charge for adoptions? Empty How much do rescues charge for adoptions?

Post by willowholly Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:00 pm

An RSPCA site was stating they charge £20 for a single bun,£30 for a pair-& astonishingly this jumps to £100 for a single giant & £150 for a pair of giants-is it me or does this seem a little unreasonable if they are charging so little for other buns? Hmmm
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

How much do rescues charge for adoptions? Empty Re: How much do rescues charge for adoptions?

Post by KatieB Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Perhaps they are trying to reflect the extra care a Giant needs? Or perhaps mirror selling prices in the shops?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

How much do rescues charge for adoptions? Empty Re: How much do rescues charge for adoptions?

Post by willowholly Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:39 pm

What extra care do giants need apart from accomadation?B gets exactly the same treatment & care as Dill.If I was a newbie to buns & given the choice of a petshop bun or a rescue bun for the same price I would go for the cute baby in the petshop,because me,being a newbie,probably wouldn't know about having buns vaccinated or neutured so wouldn't take that into account when looking at a rescue.
I just thought the RSPCA would have more attractive prices to encourage people to adopt not put them off.
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I have never understood the premium price on giants - their life expectancy is so much shorter than your average bun. The RSPCA here in cornwall charge £15 for one bun and £20 for 2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:11 pm

My Flora was £35 from our local rspca, only had small buns in anyway so not sure about bigger ones, didnt have bonded ones in either.
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Do giant rabbits cost more to have neutered? If so then maybe that is why it's so much:/...other than that I can't think why...

I know sometimes dogs and cats can cost around that much to adopt...and in some rescues kittens cost waaaay more than an adult to adopt, it's a bit crazy really and I don't really understand that either.

However, going on the price I've spent on my buns so far myself, I'd go for a rescue bun next, even if it was 60 pounds each...because both mine had complications during neutering and the cost went through to about £100. If someone was a newbie and didn't do their research properly, of course they would go for the cute baby...it's the same with any animal. Perhaps email the RSPCA and say you are just curious about how they work out the adoption fees for the rabbits? Only way to get a clear answer and it might make more sense then, there must be some reason for it.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:35 pm

The giant breeds are always very pricey in petshops too, maybe they are deemed more desirable than your average lop or lionhead as there are plenty of those around? Maybe they charge 3 or 4 times a smuch cos they are 3 or 4 times bigger?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:16 am

It is probably to deter people from taking on a giant when they don't have the commitment to really look after it.

My buns from the SSPCA have always been about £20 each, but none of them have been neutered and I must say, I'm not sure they were vaccinated or not. However, it is something I will check before I get my next pair when I am ready.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:29 am

Archie and Molly were £35 each from the rescue and they were neutered/spayed and both had their myxi vaccinations when I got them Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 am

[b]It would seem a bit funny that I think I have said before on anouther post that in my opinion the RSPCA and some other rescue organisations are pushing people into the hands of the pet shops with there stingent box tick rules and now again possably priceing.
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willowholly Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]It would seem a bit funny that I think I have said before on anouther post that in my opinion the RSPCA and some other rescue organisations are pushing people into the hands of the pet shops with there stingent box tick rules and now again possably priceing.
Here here Ruffin.My friend whom ive known for over 20 years & has never left her dog alone,as goes to her parents when shes at work,but was refused a dog from the RSPCA as she works full time. Rolling Eyes
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by willowholly Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:35 pm

LilyGrace wrote:Do giant rabbits cost more to have neutered? If so then maybe that is why it's so much:/...other than that I can't think why...

No,the same & if anything should be less as they are less fiddly than a dwarf say.
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Well I dunno then lol, as I say..perhaps ring/email them and ask, no harm in finding out if you are interested.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Pawz For Thought, the charity I'm helping ask £40 for a single bun, or £60 for a pair. Neutering is included in this.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]It would seem a bit funny that I think I have said before on anouther post that in my opinion the RSPCA and some other rescue organisations are pushing people into the hands of the pet shops with there stingent box tick rules and now again possably priceing.

It has certainly struck me that my local RSPCA charge £20 for a pair of rabbits neutered and they generally do not have many sitting in their pens awaiting homes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

willowholly wrote:An RSPCA site was stating they charge £20 for a single bun,£30 for a pair-& astonishingly this jumps to £100 for a single giant & £150 for a pair of giants-is it me or does this seem a little unreasonable if they are charging so little for other buns? Hmmm

Willowholly, I suspect this is our website for the Lincoln and Mid Lincs Branch. ALL in our rabbits are vaccinated against Myxi neutered and microchipped before they leave us. The cost for neutering a Giant Rabbit is vastly different to that for a regular sized bun. The pain relieving drugs that they then leave the vets with, are based on weight measurements and are therefore again ALOT more expensive for giant rabbits than for regular sized rabbits.

We as a rescue have disappointingly found over the last few years an increasing number of people obtaining giant rabbits without prior thought or attention to their needs and requirements. Our price does not only reflect the costs we have incurred but also is designed to ensure that the people enquiring about Giant Rabbits are serious about providing for their life long needs.

The condition that most of these rabbits arrive in, particularly giants, is often quite shocking. They are often kept in substandard accomodation ALWAYS too small for them. This leads to health problems that we then need to sort out before they can even go up for adoption.

If you were to go to Pets at hHome a giant would cost you £69. This is without neutering, vaccinating or microchipping. Therefore I think you will agree that our price is very competitive. We are already at a loss with our re homing price. As you will notice our regular sized buns are £20 for a single and £30 for a bonded pair. Again we are not able to ask for more as no body would come to us when they can get rabbits for free or from pet shops for alot less. We are again at a loss but choose to do this to ensure that our animals find the loving homes that they deserve.

I hope that this has answered your questions and please feel free to ask me any more!

x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by willowholly Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Thankyou.Giants are £120 in our pets at home which I fully agree with to put idiots off.Ive had 2 french lops spayed myself so am aware of costs they incure-I just couldn't work out the big jump in prices.Thanks for explaining. Very Happy
willowholly
willowholly
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 pm

No worries Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:57 pm

The other thing i was going to say was that we have also had to have purpose built housing made for them in which they can periscope etc. Again that is huge cost!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am

I got Mindy (a french lop) from a 'rescue' three years ago and paid £80. It was about £70 to have her neutered and vaccinated. I was really annoyed when I realised that she was actually bred at the 'rescue' and not the result of an unwanted litter. To me that just goes against everything that a rescue is about. At that time Pets @ Home were charging £130 for giants and you had neutering and vacs on top of that.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Its the same with dogs hun, a few years ago when we went looking at a rescue for a dog it was 70-100 for a dog not a puppy or anything, a dog! with no background info etc. I refused to pay it, then they brought out our star and because she was in such a state they wanted £15. We took he anyways cos she was soooooo fat and snorted like a pig im sure if i pulled her tail she would have squeeled like one also. She was the best dog we ever had. Mick says they charge so much because if people pay so much for a animal they are less likely to abuse or mistreat it. I disagree!
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm

[b]Good job they wernt charging by the Kg then Laughing I understand what Cats is saying but I think they need to get the message accross so as others understand the reasons and dont think they are being overcharged
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 pm

My local RSPCA for a period had links with a company who made big hutches and had a set up there so you could see what they were asking for. But the company went bust (they weren't charging enough) and the link went. I often wonder whether rescues - or at least the bigger ones - could sell flat pack hutches that meet their requirements if the households do not have an appropriate set up or do learn how to build your own days. Something that would benefit the animals and the rescue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Good job they wernt charging by the Kg then Laughing I understand what Cats is saying but I think they need to get the message accross so as others understand the reasons and dont think they are being overcharged

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk/rspca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=14
I think you will see from our website that it is all explained. Infact the veterinary costs have risen since this publication.

With regard to comments made about price reflecting whether someone will mistreat an animal, this isn't the case.No price tag can guarantee an animals welfare, however we feel that the price not only in some way goes towards reimbursing our costs, and enables us to then go on to help more rabbits, (when you consider it is £53 to neuter a standard male rabbit and £82 to spay a standard female, plus £18.95 for their vaccinations and therefore alot more to neuter the giants, you will see we aren't making any money) but also reflects the ongoing costs a giant will bring. Their accomodation will cost alot more as it needs to be alot larger, food will cost more. Any further veterinary treatment will be more than a standard rabbit again, owing to their size. Therefore the price of a giant should reflect the cost implications an owner can expect to incurr in future.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 pm

[b]Yes thats what I was trying to say if people realised this but the trouble is they dont
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next