Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damp problem - what should i do with the buns?

+2
Tuckerbunnies
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

Damp problem - what should i do with the buns? Empty Damp problem - what should i do with the buns?

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:36 am

Urine is getting under the lino in the playhouse, and its not getting chance to dry out. If i leave it its just going to get worse, and the wood will start to rot.
The only thing i think i can do is remove the lino and let it dry out, but at this time of year, i have no idea how long its going to take. I dont know what to do with the buns while it dries out though, it may take days-a week or more. They only have this one outdoor set up, if i had a small hutch i could put them all in the run for a few days, but i only have 1 shelter and its not big enough.
Does anyone know what i can do? Or if they will be ok in the house for a week or 2 and then going back outside? :S Im just worried about them going back out into the cold.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Damp problem - what should i do with the buns? Empty Re: Damp problem - what should i do with the buns?

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 pm

If you can get somewhere to put the buns take the lino up and put a small electric fan heater in the shed that should dry it out quicker and when you put the lino back down if you can get some silicon sealer to seal the lino round the edge so the wee doesn't get underneath and then you need to get some wood beading to put around the edge so the bunnies can't get to the silicon. This is what we do and it stops the wet getting underneath the lino.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Damp problem - what should i do with the buns? Empty Re: Damp problem - what should i do with the buns?

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:If you can get somewhere to put the buns take the lino up and put a small electric fan heater in the shed that should dry it out quicker and when you put the lino back down if you can get some silicon sealer to seal the lino round the edge so the wee doesn't get underneath and then you need to get some wood beading to put around the edge so the bunnies can't get to the silicon. This is what we do and it stops the wet getting underneath the lino.

Thanks Maysie, ill look into it. I dont have a fan heater though, just the fresh air, so the buns would have to move out for a while until it dries. Is it too cold now to bring them in and then put them back outside again?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Do you know anyone with a dehumidifier? That would also speed the drying process.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:If you can get somewhere to put the buns take the lino up and put a small electric fan heater in the shed that should dry it out quicker and when you put the lino back down if you can get some silicon sealer to seal the lino round the edge so the wee doesn't get underneath and then you need to get some wood beading to put around the edge so the bunnies can't get to the silicon. This is what we do and it stops the wet getting underneath the lino.

Thanks Maysie, ill look into it. I dont have a fan heater though, just the fresh air, so the buns would have to move out for a while until it dries. Is it too cold now to bring them in and then put them back outside again?

Is there anyone you know who has a fan heater that you could borrow? or any members that live nearby that could lend you one. I don't know if we have one I will ask Mike.
I can't see where it will hurt the buns to be indoors for a few days while you do that I don't think you have any option really. They can always come here and I can put them in the boarding shed if you are worried about them while you do it. (free of course)

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm

[b]Think I am going to have to put a new floor in the shed for the same reason I put litter trays in so the dopes pee at the side of it I move it so do they the shed is only 6 month old Rolling Eyes
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]Think I am going to have to put a new floor in the shed for the same reason I put litter trays in so the dopes pee at the side of it I move it so do they the shed is only 6 month old Rolling Eyes

Laughing Its typical isnt it!? Mine do pee over the litter trays sometimes, but it doesnt go under the lino. This is from when I had the playhouse penned off and they only had newspaper and hay ontop of the lino. It should be ok if it dries out I seal it.

Thank you for your kind offer Maysie. Im off week after next, so I should get time to sort it all out, and at the same time i can finish getting it ready for winter. Hopefully it wont be too cold by then, but the playhouse should be a little more snug for them when they go back in. Smile Ive spoken to Dad, and he said he can silicone it all and put some beading down for me.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:01 pm

[b]We could allways get the bunn nappies Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]We could allways get the bunn nappies Laughing

I have read newborn huggies are the best fit Laughing

(i really have read that)

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:59 pm

ROFL Dolly would look cute in a nappy...but its not happening. Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Could you use a hairdryer?????? Might take a while but better than nowt.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 pm

^ yeah better than nowt! just leave it runnin on the ground x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 am

Personally I would get rid of the lino completely. Its a great idea but I've always found it gets damp underneath, and have never had much luck. My hutches have both got damp/leaked this past week - the weather has been horriffic. I emptied them & left them open for air to circulate, you'll probably find it dries quicker than you'd imagine. Then on the small bits that are still a bit damp, I'd get the hairdryer on them. Its so annyoing isnt it!
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Becki wrote:Personally I would get rid of the lino completely. Its a great idea but I've always found it gets damp underneath, and have never had much luck. My hutches have both got damp/leaked this past week - the weather has been horriffic. I emptied them & left them open for air to circulate, you'll probably find it dries quicker than you'd imagine. Then on the small bits that are still a bit damp, I'd get the hairdryer on them. Its so annyoing isnt it!

I really dont want to get rid of the lino, it makes cleaning so much easier usually! They were very well litter trained before bonding the trio, not they do where business where ever the hell they feel like! Rolling Eyes Hopefully they will retrain themselves eventually.

As for the hair dryer idea, dad wont let me. The other one burnt out and we only have one now. Ill just bring the buns in and leat it air out for a few days, then maybe use the hair dryer to dry out the last bits. If I seal the edges, it shouldnt be a problem Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down