Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"

3 posters

Go down

Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"   Empty Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"

Post by jalith3 Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 pm

I posted in mid October (Bonding new rabbit to existing pair) and have had pointers and encouragement from members - thanks!
Four weeks on we have kind of reached a plateau and are not moving forward.
A real turnaround - my very aggressive young new rabbit has worked out that violence doesn't pay and that the other two are really in charge!
They are in a big pen, which is divided at night and when we cannot be close by.
However the bonded pair are not interested in him, they frequently chase him away when he gets too close and sometimes the teeth are chomping at his rear end too!! Fortunately they are unlikely to hurt him, they normally lose interest and get on with the business of eating and grooming and he can run like lightning. That said - he is permanently watchful and scared of them.
He really wants to be accepted - he sleeps close to the wire barrier at night, as close as he can to them and several times when I have been stroking my big male rabbit he has crept very close and put his head very low in a submission.

Maybe this is the time now for an extended car ride... or multiple car rides - over the next few days??
Any other ideas welcome....I need to have things "up my sleeve" if this fails.

Thanks very much

jalith3
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"   Empty Re: Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm

It sounds like you have reached the point where you just have to wait. Disinterest from the pair is good - just keep doing what you're doing.

Back to top Go down

Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"   Empty Re: Bonding continues ..." You are not welcome here!!"

Post by KatieB Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Perhaps the car ride will help.

I would worry about the little chap spending his time frightened of the other too and not able to relax though, especially as he clearly so wants to be accepted.

How long is it since he had his neuter now?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 pm

When a rabbit presents its head low it isn't in submission, it is asking to be groomed and in effect, demanding that the other rabbit does it a service. That is the action of a rabbit wanting to be in charge.

I think your bunny would maybe be happier with a partner of his own. A nice placid girl bun would be perfect. Your other pair do sound very happy with their own company.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down