Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow.

2 posters

Go down

A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow. Empty A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow.

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:08 pm

I really hope there is someone on here who can help me. Even if its just an estimate.

For a rabbit who is on a pellet free diet and eats only food which has been foraged and fed fresh/dry, how much should a rabbit need to eat to maintain their weight - roughly? Im writing about alternative diets. Wave
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow. Empty Re: A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow.

Post by Jay Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Umm, I don't know TBH, but a really interesting question. Just as I was reading it, Anne phoned, so I put it to her. There's no definitave answer I'm afraid. However, rabbits spend 70 - 80% of their waking hours forraging and eating.

In the autumn/winter, they are likely to eat more, because the quality of food is much reduced, so they are eating scrub, but they need to eat more of it to get nutrition.

In the apring/summer, they eat much better quality, and divert some of the grazing time to mating and lactating/feeding. As the available food is more nutritious (if they live in a temperate climate), they eat less of it.

It also depends on where they live. If they are in Spain, for example, there is generally less quaity food, it being a much drier country, so they will eat more.

Hope that helps, although it doesn't answer your question, as such.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow. Empty Re: A pellet free diet question. For college. Deadline tomorrow.

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I love how your always on hand when i really need help, Jay! Smile
I didnt think there would be, i just said 2-3 varied handfuls along with their usual hays/grasses and explained that the aim is to maintain weight. I guess its all i can say really. I have to evaluate two ways of feeding once im done, so ill just mention the fact that the pellet free diet may be difficult to calculate and will take time to get right. On the other hand, it seems to have worked wonders for a lot of stasis buns.

Im also comparing the RAW diet and dried food for dogs.

I get my results for the behaviour assignment next week Very Happy ...Ive also been told off by the librarians for hogging Annes book Laughing I keep referring back to it, but im not allowed to take it out anymore Sad Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Laughing No worries, glad to help. I'd have a read through my response to this as well, intersting stuff from Frances H - Brown https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t14174p10-our-vet-with-more-interesting-findings#175312

In HM this edition, Anne answerd a couple of questions about pellets that may help too
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down