Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?

3 posters

Go down

Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?  Empty Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?

Post by Dawnbunny Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Has anyone had an Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear to help ongoing ear infection ?

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?  Empty Re: Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 pm

I was just thinking in relation to the other thread Dawn - are you a RWAF member. If so has your vet consulted with Richard Saunders for you?

Back to top Go down

Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?  Empty Re: Ear wick or beads placed in a dwarf lop ear ?

Post by Dawnbunny Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:35 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I was just thinking in relation to the other thread Dawn - are you a RWAF member. If so has your vet consulted with Richard Saunders for you?

Hi,

My vet has worked with bunnies for 20 yrs and is happy to consult with other vets , those vets are all just so far away, we are in suffolk and the experts are all down south or in the west country, it really doesnt seem fair ... Sad

I will give RWAF a call tomorrow... I can see that Aidan Rafferty gave a talk on ear disease at their recent conference.

Many thanks for the info...

Dawn

Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 am

I've heard of vets using antibiotic beads in ears of rabbits with infections and I have put this link on as it is about ear infections and their treatment if you scroll down the page you will see treatment by antibiotic beads and Ear Wick.
Hope it is of some help to you.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/s/00dis/bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 am

Dawnbunny wrote:I will give RWAF a call tomorrow... I can see that Aidan Rafferty gave a talk on ear disease at their recent conference.

He did, and it was very enlightening. He suggested the use of ear wicks to treat infections, depending on where they are. The wick is like a sponge, you put medication on it, then inset it and it fills the middle ear canal, treating it locally. He was also talking about how you can perforate the drum to treat inner ear problems, and showed us x-rays of the wick in place and also surgery beyond the drum.

The notes fer the conference are going to be sent out in the post this year, so hopefully we should have them soon, but I'd contact the RWAF and see if they can help.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Jay,

Spoke to Anne today, she said she met you at the conference.

The vet papers are ready and Ive ordered them. Anne was so helpful... doesnt seem to be a mention of the wick in the paper notes .... its mainly diagnosis and surgery ref Eric P Chow paper which we already have..

Would have liked to have seen the pics of the x ray with the wick in place... as surgery(resection) doesnt seem an option.. already worried if he will make it through anesethetic on Wednes for the wick.

Anne did say that other RWAF members had used the wick with good outcome ...

Will see what the vet comes back with... its so strange there are only posts/papers on cats/dogs having used the wick and not buns .. probably hasnt been used enough..

thanks so much for your help Jay.

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:13 am

Pleasure, glad you'll get the notes, it was a very interesting conference. I'm going to type my notes up this week-end and post them on here.

I got on well with Aidan, and I'll be in contact with him with HM, I'll see if I can get some more info Smile

Last edited by Jay on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 am

Jay wrote:Pleasure, glad you'll get the notes, it was a very interesting conference. I'm going to type my notes up this week-end and post them on here.

I got on really well with Aidan, and I'll be in contact with him with HM, I'll see if I can get some more info Smile

thank you so much Jay , its much appreciated Very Happy

Dawn
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down