Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what age is a rabbit fully grown?

5 posters

Go down

At what age is a rabbit fully grown? Empty At what age is a rabbit fully grown?

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Does anyone know? I keep getting asked about Florence and I have no idea!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

At what age is a rabbit fully grown? Empty Re: At what age is a rabbit fully grown?

Post by LilyGrace Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Hmm I'm not sure, mine seemed to stop growing at about 8-9 months. I'm sure at one stage every time I saw Thistle he had gotten bigger!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

At what age is a rabbit fully grown? Empty Re: At what age is a rabbit fully grown?

Post by Jay Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 pm

I think it depends on the breed, but roughly between a year - 18 months. Stewie has def stopped growing, and did at about 14 months, berts took a bit longer. I wouldn't know about dwarfs and giants.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Alaska is a dwarf lop she stopped growing at about 9 or 10 months I think.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by nethie Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:25 pm

some say 6months onwards but then they fill out more after that

nethie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2334
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:29 pm

so i think we can agree that there's no definitave answer Laughing

I did (this sounds so nurdy) keep a record of the bear's length, weight and girth for a few months, as I wanted to see if the filling out thing was relevant. For him, it didn't really happen, he's still very slim. (Bertie deffo filled out, but that was before I knew about a good diet!)

What was weird though was that I thought he'd stopped growing at around a year old, didn't grow any more for 6 weeks, then all of a sudden there was quite a dramatic last spurt, and he got an inch or so longer Shocked
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Jay wrote:so i think we can agree that there's no definitave answer Laughing

I did (this sounds so nurdy) keep a record of the bear's length, weight and girth for a few months, as I wanted to see if the filling out thing was relevant. For him, it didn't really happen, he's still very slim. Bertie drffo filled out, but that was before I knew about a good diet

What was weird though was that I thought he'd stopped growing at around a year old, didn't grow any more for 6 weeks, then all of a sudden there was quite a dramatic last spurt, and he got an inch or so longer Shocked

That's not nurdy at all I wish I'd done that. It's only looking at photos of Flossy from when I first got her that has made me realise just how much she has grown. She was a diddy little thing.

That is useful though guys, so long as she doesn't grow into some fatty heffer I'll be happy Laughing Only joking Florence I'll love you even if you get fat like your mummy!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Thank-you I feel less nurdy now Embarassed Wink

Try and keep her slim, obesity is a really big health issue for buns, as I'm sure you know already. It is difficult, and I think some buns are more prone to it than others.

Being part Belgian Hare, I don't think the bear could actually get fat - his frame is so slender, he eats like a starved bunny, every day, but doesn't put on a dot.

Bertie (mini rex) was much more prone to getting bigger, but then he had an arthritic spine, so wasn't as prone to doing exercise.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:46 pm

I think she does too much bouncing around for it to be to much of an issue at the moment, she just loves jumping. But once she's over her spay I am going to reduce pellets a bit, although that's what's getting ignored at the moment so I should take advantage now. I probably actually under feed her than over (other than hay), which sounds so mean but it's an attempt for her not to be a dental bunny. She always has loads of hay, but other than at the moment she gets limited veg and a small amount of pellets once a day.

Stewie is gorgeous. Last night I watched one of the handling videos with him and Anne, I was in hysterics when he jumped over the pen! Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down