Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny not drinking

+2
JoeyBunsMum
icedancer
6 posters

Go down

Bunny not drinking Empty Bunny not drinking

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:43 pm

As I think you know, Florence was spayed yesterday. She has been eating today, ok not as much as usual but if you offer it to her she mostly takes it and a little while ago she did eat from her bowl by herself Happy Dance

However she hasn't drunk anything. I've offered her her bottle a couple of times but she hasn't accepted it. I've given her cucumber and also wet grass to give her some fluid, but should I syringe her some water? If so the only syringe I have is for her Metacam, can I use that?

I've thought about giving her a bowl, but where she hasn't been eating from her bowl I'm not convinced it would make any difference. She's mainly been eating hay and veg, only a few pellets this afternoon.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Bunny not drinking Empty Re: Bunny not drinking

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Try the bowl - Joey didn't like the bottle and wasn't eating pellets out his bowl but he loved drinking from the bowl of water!

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Just gave her a bowl, she decided to thank me but showing me her scar again pale She seems to be getting off on the fact it makes me feel ill!!! I should be happy that she is flopping out this afternoon, but I wish we wasn't doing it quite as dramatically. I've had to leave the bowl in there until she gets up again, which is really asking for trouble as it's only light!

I wish I wasn't so much of a wuss Embarassed
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh don't worry, I'd be the same if I had a girl bun! Just avert your eyes!

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Yup she's definitely enjoying doing it, it's everytime I go over now!! She does one of those happy flops to do it. I feel ill pale

I've left the water bowl in a corner, so hopefully she can't knock it over. She did just do a massive wee so I'm hoping she isn't dehydrated. She wasn't very interested when I showed her the bowl, but then I don't think she's ever seen water in a bowl.

I'm slightly concerned too that she doesn't appear to have done any poos this evening, so I'll get more herbs into her too. I've just given her more hay so hopefully that'll help. Where she had some sticky poos earlier it hasn't helped my neurotic mother state, but sadly she didn't fall for the Pro-C sprinkled on grass trick. Damn!

She is acting more herself tonight which is good, and looks brighter. She also tried to get out but I told her that's a no go at the moment.

icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Do you have pro-c in the water bowl?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Do you have pro-c in the water bowl?

Yes, not much because it's only a small ramekin bowl so I just sprinkled a little bit into it. She's now started eating by herself (before I had to offer it to her, but now she's helping herself) so I'll sprinkle some into her bowl too. I might give her some dried herbs and sprinkle it on there too. I'm guessing you can't overdose them on it.

She has taken a few licks from the bowl, but is still too obessed with showing me her scar No I text my mum, who is as squeemish as me, to warn her when she comes over on Saturday Florence will show off her scar. She wasn't impressed either Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:08 pm

While getting the Pro c into her is a brilliant thing to do, be careful its not putting her off eating and drinking as the most important thing is to get the water and food inside her.

If you make sure the herbs and veg are wet thats a good way of getting water into her and also if she is doing a wee, then it does mean she is getting fluids going in.

A water bowl is a great idea because it is easier for them to drink from it.

She sounds like she is doing really well though, she is lucky to have a mum that loves her so much x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Katieb wrote:While getting the Pro c into her is a brilliant thing to do, be careful its not putting her off eating and drinking as the most important thing is to get the water and food inside her.
Katie I was kinda thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure how to word it Embarassed

My thinking was that maybe she can't smell it when it's in the bottle but can from the bowl. But didn't want it to sound stupid Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 pm

She's been licking the Pro-C off of pellets, and helped herself to some spring greens. But the no drinking, and the fact she's done no poos since this afternoon some time is bugging me now. I think I'm going to have to pick her up and check her bum, which I was hoping to avoid.

I'll give her some wet fresh herbs now, I went to Asda especially for her today!

She's become obessed with washing again, and she tried to jump out of her house, so I'm guessing she's starting to feel better and I'm just being neurotic!

Thanks Katie and Thumper!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm

If she hasnt done any poo's try getting her to move around - just a little, we dont want her to overdo it because of her stitches, but a little movement might help get her guts moving.

If she is eating this is a good sign because she is not in Stasis. Does she look uncomfortable or anything??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

No not at all. If I put my hand in she asks to be stroked, and is currently washing. I had the door open a little while ago but was texting and she started to come out.
She's acting near enough normally now, and keeps doing happy flops, although sadlt that involves showing me her tummy. She's eating by herself now too and not waiting for me to offer it which I'm very happy about.

I dunked the herbs in the water bowl and she scoffed them down, then went to sniff the water bowl. Wet parsley really doesn't look attractive either!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm

She sounds like she is doing okay hun - keeping my fingers crossed for poo soon x x x

Keep us updated x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Try her with a bowl of water minus the Pro C

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Well that's the water bowl knocked over No Offered it to her again and she just got it in her teeth and chucked it. I did have a suspicion that might happen, which is why I've never given her a bowl before. I've taken it out and will see if I can find something heavier.

However, it does show she is a bit happier if she's lobbing things about!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Agree about the bowl! When Luna was spayed she wouldn't drink out of a bottle any more and actually prefers it since that day. Fingers crossed it works x
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Make sure she drinks some water it is so important and the more water they drink the quicker the painkiller works if she is on pain relief Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:10 am

Happy to annouce that there were lots of poos during the night, and more wees, the newspaper was soaking. I can't wait until she can have litter again, I'm running out of newspaper now!!

She still doesn't appear to have drunk anything though, but she is back to her normal happy self. When I cleaned her pee corner she was over straight away being nosey to what I was doing, plus periscoped when I gave her more dry food and is happily eating that from her bowl herself Happy Dance She's also begging to come out, but she is such a jumper I'm not risking it.

Hubby just told me though that she went for him last night when he touched her towel, which I'm a bit concerned about as she is a softie, so not sure what happened there. I can take anything off her and shes not bothered, so I need to keep an eye on that.

I am still worried about the not drinking. Think I will try her with a bowl again this morning. I am at the vets this evening so I'll get a better idea of her health then.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

icedancer wrote:Happy to annouce that there were lots of poos during the night, and more wees, the newspaper was soaking. I can't wait until she can have litter again, I'm running out of newspaper now!!

She still doesn't appear to have drunk anything though, but she is back to her normal happy self. When I cleaned her pee corner she was over straight away being nosey to what I was doing, plus periscoped when I gave her more dry food and is happily eating that from her bowl herself Happy Dance She's also begging to come out, but she is such a jumper I'm not risking it.

Hubby just told me though that she went for him last night when he touched her towel, which I'm a bit concerned about as she is a softie, so not sure what happened there. I can take anything off her and shes not bothered, so I need to keep an eye on that.

I am still worried about the not drinking. Think I will try her with a bowl again this morning. I am at the vets this evening so I'll get a better idea of her health then.

Just came on to check that Florence had drank so glad to hear she has because they become dehydrated so quick and go down hill. I will always remember the difference a couple of syringes of water made to Baby Saint when she arrived at our home that day after being dumped at the roadside with her Mum it was like it gave her life.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 am

icedancer wrote:

sensible girl that one

If she is peeing well then it stands to reason that she is drinking enough. My pair go through phases of not drinking much then drinking loads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down