Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!!

+4
Sparky
Josephine
lizzi_b
emma.b_90
8 posters

Go down

Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!! Empty Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!!

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

So magnum is growing up fast and has decided he wants to experiment with herbs! Wink He's asking what do his friends like to eat....any recommendations?
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!! Empty Re: Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!!

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:34 pm

My pair eat loads of herbs they eat parsley and coriander most as they come in biggish packs from the supermarket. Rocket. Fennel leaves and bulbs. Chamomile, tarragon, chervil, oregano, mint, lavender. And Basil

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!! Empty Re: Magnum requests herb recommendation from fellow bunnies!!

Post by lizzi_b Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Basil and Parsley are Buttons' recommendations!! Thumbs Up He goes mad for them!! I have been spending so much money on them at the supermarket I have potted some seeds to grow my own, but until they are big enough I am having to carry on buying them!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Coriander, basil and parsley are favourite with my gang. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Coriander and parsley here, mainly because as CBF says they come in the big bags. We have basil occasionally too.

Next year Humum's going to grow some herbs in big pots with mesh over the top, so we can eat them as they grow but not right back to the ground. Also carrots, not for the carrots themselves but so we can eat the carrot tops Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 pm

i am going to be growing herbs in garden too, in the mean time i have seen pots of herbs in tesco for £1.50 each rounds about, and there good size pots. I was thinking of getting a few different 1s to try him on. Also i bought a packet of rocket tonight just put a pinch or 2 in his bowl and he devoured it in seconds!! Shocked Think its safe to say he likes that...now just the waiting game to see if his belly likes it.

Do you think the pots are worth the money or should i just buy the bags?
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

We find that you get more in the bags than in the pots and it doesn't grow back as fast as we eat it...

and of course you only want to be giving him little bits, and one new thing at a time for now Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:54 pm

the pots are good! I bought a basil one from ASDA about a month and a half ago and it's still growing!! I doo keep having to buy packets of basil though to try and let the plant grow back, but it's so far been going strong!! The parsley plant that i bought at the same time however died about an hour after i got it home!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:59 pm

ah ok well bags it is then, thanks Thumbs Up

Also feeding ive read some where you should introduce new foods over a 5-7 day period. And only when you know his stomach can handle it do you then expeiment with the quanity...is that right? Theres so much contridicting information out there you never know whats right! No
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:00 pm

oh pot and bags sounds good to! thanks Thumbs Up
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Coriander, Parsley & Mint mine love.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 pm

yea that's defiantly true! and only introduce 1 new food at a time!! then you know exactly what foods agree and what don't!! It is hard at first if you give them a small bit and they go for it straight away and wolf it down to resist giving them a bit more, but don't! They need introducing to new food gradually!! Thumbs Up
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 pm

so true lizzi, he's sat looking at me now with his big soppy eyes...You can tell he's thinkg 'i know you have a big bag if that stuff, why wont you give me more?' Laughing
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Joey LOVES Rosemary - and if you have a garden you can grow some outside, or in a pot. They great thing about it is it grows really well and lasts well in Winter etc. Free treats!

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:03 am

You get the pots to last longer if you stand them in a dish and put water into that so the plant draws up water. I used to find if I watered Basil straight into the pot, it mouldy and died off.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 am

emma.b_90 wrote:so true lizzi, he's sat looking at me now with his big soppy eyes...You can tell he's thinkg 'i know you have a big bag if that stuff, why wont you give me more?' Laughing

Laughing They do have such sorry faces when they want!! You just wait till he figures out that this stuff is all kept in the fridge, and every time you open the fridge he comes running and begging!! But all you went to the frige for was to get yourself a drink or something!! Laughing

NickieM wrote:You get the pots to last longer if you stand them in a dish and put water into that so the plant draws up water. I used to find if I watered Basil straight into the pot, it mouldy and died off.

Oo thanks for the tip! My basil plant isn't looking so great anymore!! Rolling Eyes
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25 am

That watering from the bottom is a top tip as I have heard herb supremo Jekka Mcvicar say it as well. If anyone is considering starting a herb patch I thoroughly recommend her books as guides. There are some herbs that are sold as seeds which will not come from seed - such as mint. And others which need sowing later than it says on the packet like basil.

On the mint front, buy a nice applemint plant from the local nursery. It is great for having with buns as it is tough as old boots. Flo often sits on mine and feeds it by pooing on it and yet it still grows. But keep in in a pot or it will take over the whole garden. In the autumn pick of all the tips and stick them in pots on the window sill and they will all root and you will have winter supplies plus back up plants should the frost get your outdoor plant.

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:31 am

i will have to invest in her books...deffinately wanting to start a herb garden....dont want anything big havent got the room. Was thinking of doing a little 3' by 2' patch with pots too. Maybe if i get the herbs right i'll go onto veg....

Amazing how owning a bunny turns you into alan titchmarsh! I had no interest in gardening until i got magnum! Laughing
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 am

I have her complete herb book and it is brilliant as a complete reference to growing herbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 am

emma.b_90 wrote:Amazing how owning a bunny turns you into alan titchmarsh! I had no interest in gardening until i got magnum! Laughing

Laughing ditto!! What is the book called Cheryl? I would love to do more but hard when i have no garden!! Will try and get some planters for the Balcony after winter!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:38 pm

We get pots of herbs - corriander, curly parsley and flat parsley

Once they are finished we plant them in the veggi patch and get another crop from them!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down