Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...?

+6
Sixer
Sparky
KatieB
marleyNfriends
Sue_pawz
Thumper2001
10 posters

Go down

The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...? Empty The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...?

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Sorry if this is a monster whinge, I will get to the point, I promise Laughing

After mentioning last week that I threw out a cauliflower because I found 3 little flies in it, I bought another one yesterday only to find 2 massive flies under the first leaf I pulled off. pale

I'm getting really hacked off now.

The only veg Molly is eating at the moment is broccoli because the cauliflowers are rank, as are the carrot tops, there's no kale, she won't eat rocket, spinach coriander, blah, blah, blah, and the veg shelves are bare! I even went to an Aldi yesterday but they had the same ****!!!!!!

She did shock me and OH last night though, by eating a bit of parsley Happy Dance She was a bit horrified though because after she ate it, she wouldn't even touch her broccoli! Silly moo!!! Laughing

They really like it when I make them a bowl of the following, but I don't know if it would be suitable for tea every night??
Readigrass (It's this that worries me!)
Green oat hay
Sprinkles of blackcurrant leaves
Sprinkles of plantain
Sprinkles of dandelion

No good?

Thanks Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...? Empty Re: The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...?

Post by Sue_pawz Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't see why that would be a problem - when I have readigrass in they get a handful every day, and some fresh noms. My pair do seem to have cast iron constitutions though, and will eat almost anything!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...? Empty Re: The veg/herb nightmare - Alternative...?

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

I dont see why not, their poo might go quite dark, but as long as its still a good size and theyre eating their hay.

Im having the same problem, although i would just wash the leaves thoroughly and feed them anyway. Laughing Marley and Dolly are getting a small amount of herbs/veg one night, and some readigrass and various sprinkles the next night because there just isnt much on the shelves and prices seem to have really gone up. Theyve been doing very well on this though Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:I dont see why not, their poo might go quite dark, but as long as its still a good size and theyre eating their hay.

Im having the same problem, although i would just wash the leaves thoroughly and feed them anyway. Laughing Marley and Dolly are getting a small amount of herbs/veg one night, and some readigrass and various sprinkles the next night because there just isnt much on the shelves and prices seem to have really gone up. Theyve been doing very well on this though Smile

Oh, food prices are a nightmare! A few years back we could get a week's shop for the 2 of us for £30, even £20 on a tight week. Now we struggle with £50, and we're not wasteful, we don't buy brands in general, and we look for offers. We don't buy booze, chocolate or biscuits or anything as a rule, and we don't smoke either.

[/rant]
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Thank you, Ladies Smile

marleyNfriends wrote:I dont see why not, their poo might go quite dark, but as long as its still a good size and theyre eating their hay.

So it's not just here then! I don't understand it! The veg quality/variety wasn't this bad even in the dead of winter!

I'm leaving supermarkets in such a rage these days Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:33 pm

The thing to remember is how wet, and then cold the whether has been. Farmers in the UK have been hit hard by the weather over the last year - just look at the problems with hay that people have had.

Nightmare.
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Sue_pawz wrote:The thing to remember is how wet, and then cold the whether has been. Farmers in the UK have been hit hard by the weather over the last year - just look at the problems with hay that people have had.

Nightmare.

This. At the farm were running low on hay, and the quality of most of it is really poor, most of the horses are having to go onto haylage too. If we have any more wet weather, were going to run out of straw too, and the grazing in the fields is terrible. No The poor horses have been stuck in their stables for months, and they arent even bothered about being out in the field as theres just nothing for them to eat. They stand at the gate after half an hour wanting to come back in. If that wasnt bad enough, their all in poor condition because of the selenium poisoning and everyone is having a real hard time feeding them all up.

Just goes to show how much we rely on the weather - Poor farmers have a real hard time!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm

I think that there are vitamins they will be getting from the veg Hun, that they need. I remember talking to JC about calcium in Daisy's wee so was thinking of cutting down in the greens - he quite clearly told me that they needed them!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Sue_pawz wrote:The thing to remember is how wet, and then cold the whether has been. Farmers in the UK have been hit hard by the weather over the last year - just look at the problems with hay that people have had.

Nightmare.
I understand your point totally but the dodgy stuff I've had has been from France. The cauliflowers were fine when they were coming from Spain No
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Katieb wrote:I think that there are vitamins they will be getting from the veg Hun, that they need. I remember talking to JC about calcium in Daisy's wee so was thinking of cutting down in the greens - he quite clearly told me that they needed them!

This is a fair point, Marley and Dolly will eat pretty much anything, so still get a good balance of everything. On the days they get veg, they will have some spinach, parsley, spring greens or cabbage with a bit of broccoli. If your buns are fussy beggars, you might have to find a fresh alternative that they will eat.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Katieb wrote:I think that there are vitamins they will be getting from the veg Hun, that they need. I remember talking to JC about calcium in Daisy's wee so was thinking of cutting down in the greens - he quite clearly told me that they needed them!
That did cross my mind too, Katie.

I'm going to have to hope, for now, that the broc is enough for her. Junior will eat just about anything so he's ok.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:

This is a fair point, Marley and Dolly will eat pretty much anything, so still get a good balance of everything. On the days they get veg, they will have some spinach, parsley, spring greens or cabbage with a bit of broccoli. If your buns are fussy beggars, you might have to find a fresh alternative that they will eat.
Finding something (other than broccoli) that Molly will eat is my problem Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I advise you to persevere with the herbs. They will probably get a taste for them in the end. Don't forget you have lots of salad crops to choose from as well - rocket and chard are both ok. The readigrass would be no worse to feed daily than Kale which is also full of calcium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 pm

You could try them on fresh potted herbs rather than cut ones - when Taffy was very poorly he would often eat them straight off the plant but turn his nose up at what was in the bowl.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Especially if you pretend she's not allowed them!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Have you tried romaine lettuce? Green peppers? BJ and Gabe like radish too.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

I was going to suggest Romaine Lettuce - my pair love it! Green beans are Mojo's very favourite too! Very Happy

I don't think feeding the Readigrass daily is a problem if it's not in huge amounts either. My two have a sprinkling of Readigrass on top of their night time hay every other day on the days they don't have veggies (I feed fresh veg and herbs every other day as Mojo is prone to a sticky bum), and that works fine.

I hope you find something to please the fussy Molly soon! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I advise you to persevere with the herbs. They will probably get a taste for them in the end. Don't forget you have lots of salad crops to choose from as well - rocket and chard are both ok. The readigrass would be no worse to feed daily than Kale which is also full of calcium.
I'll keep trying. They don't get Kale every day, even when the supermarkets do have it Smile

Sparky wrote:You could try them on fresh potted herbs rather than cut ones - when Taffy was very poorly he would often eat them straight off the plant but turn his nose up at what was in the bowl.
I'll give this a go too Smile

Katieb wrote:Especially if you pretend she's not allowed them!
Haha! When she ate the bit of parsley yesterday I said to OH "DON'T LOOK PLEASED!" Laughing

Sixer wrote:Have you tried romaine lettuce? Green peppers? BJ and Gabe like radish too.
I haven't tried any of that. I really don't think she'll eat peppers (they're a bit pungent Laughing) but I can try. Every time I look, they only have romaine hearts, are these ok?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:17 pm

My two eat the Romaine Hearts, Thumper Smile
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:17 pm

FluffSlave wrote:I was going to suggest Romaine Lettuce - my pair love it! Green beans are Mojo's very favourite too! Very Happy

I don't think feeding the Readigrass daily is a problem if it's not in huge amounts either. My two have a sprinkling of Readigrass on top of their night time hay every other day on the days they don't have veggies (I feed fresh veg and herbs every other day as Mojo is prone to a sticky bum), and that works fine.

I hope you find something to please the fussy Molly soon! Hugs
Green beans! I forgot about them! They were suggested last time I asked for suggestions Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:18 pm

FluffSlave wrote:My two eat the Romaine Hearts, Thumper Smile
Thank you Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Our farmers here are having a bad time of it as well. At least where I live has moved down from exceptional drought status to extreme. Our yard is growing dandelions anyway.

gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:28 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I advise you to persevere with the herbs. They will probably get a taste for them in the end. Don't forget you have lots of salad crops to choose from as well - rocket and chard are both ok. The readigrass would be no worse to feed daily than Kale which is also full of calcium.

Nibbler used to be quite picky with his herbs, would pretty much only have parsley and corriander. Then a friend came round to visit him, she brought a load of herbs she had grew herself, ended up pretty much hand feeding him as she was in love him, he ate the lot and since then will eat any herb I give him Smile maybe treating them like royalty and having someone come round to hand feed them will get them to try a few new things? Laughing
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

you could always grow some herbs in a window planter, then 'accidentally' leave it on the floor .... they may like them more if they think they are being naughty Laughing plus they can pick what they like

mine love mint and rosemary. they also go a bit loopy for lavender.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum