Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope..... U/D Saturday. WE GOT POOP!!

+8
icedancer
gentl
fiver
wizbit
woodwench
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
FarplaceRescue
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hope.....  U/D Saturday.  WE GOT POOP!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hope..... U/D Saturday. WE GOT POOP!!

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Shes still not eating or pooing. We are off to the vets for a 3:30 appointment. Blizzard conditions out there, so we are having to take it really steady. She's got a Hottie Bottie and her blankie. fingers crossed xx
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Hope.....  U/D Saturday.  WE GOT POOP!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hope..... U/D Saturday. WE GOT POOP!!

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Shes still not eating or pooing. We are off to the vets for a 3:30 appointment. Blizzard conditions out there, so we are having to take it really steady. She's got a Hottie Bottie and her blankie. fingers crossed xx

Oh dear, hope it's nothing serious Jan Bless her xxx

and just be careful as you go it's bad enough when there isn't snow up there xxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Just got back. Got 2 lots of meds (can't remember what) to get her gut moving. No sound at all from her tummy. Still no poos, still not eating. I have got her some herbs (all sorts!) to add to her dish, but she's so far not interested.
Should I continue to syringe-feed? or will it be dangerous while her gut is not moving at all?
I have been warned that she may not make it.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm

That will no doubt be metroclopramide and zantac that you have been given. The metroclopramide and Zantac are both gut stimulents.

Has the vet not said about syringe feeding Jan?

I would be apt to keep syringe feed her but I would like to see what other members think. Mike said if it was us he would syringe feed but we don't want to go against your vet's who obviously know more about her than we do. To me Bless her she has gone into shock.

Oh Jan I do wish you were a bit nearer as I we could pop round.

Come on little Hope please eat something Sweetheart xxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 pm

In our experience, the gut motility meds should help make her feel hungry.

I'd definitely be syringe feeding her if she wasn't eating on her own, but just very little and often and stop as soon as she protests. Keep going if she is taking it well. Having a little something in her system might help stimulate her to start eating on her own.

Vibes for the gorgeous girly Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Im going to be continuing with the syringe feeding. The good news is that she has eaten a tiny piece of fresh dill and moved about some of the other herbs, so she's showing SOME interest.
All she wants to do is sit on her heat pad and not move. She is surrounded by hay and has her food and water nearby.
I was wondering about her spay wound. It seems to be huge compared to what I normally see. It's about 2 inches long, which looks huge on her tiny body. It is clean, not red, not bruised. Vet said it was fine.
They said she was well enough to be spayed and to have her myxi jab. Would it have made any difference if I had left it another week or two? or might she have still been the same?
I feel this is all my fault. Did I try to rush things too much?
Jan x
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Don't worry, some buns take longer to get back to normal. Especially girls, obviously, as it's a bigger op.

When did she have the painkillers? They can take a while to take effect, although normally they're quite quick in bunnies.

Did she have the myxi jab at the same time as being spayed?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:00 pm

She had the metacam at 11am. Yes, she had the myxi jab at the same time as the spay. I asked the vet if this was ok for her, and I was told there was no problem and she will be fine.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Some buns can be a bit off-colour after a myxi or VHD jab anyway - understandable seeing as they work by causing an immune system response.

I don't think that you rushed things or should blame yourself, especially as you were going by the vet's advice, but it might be better not to have jabs done in future when the rabbit's system will also be trying to recover from an op.

Maybe it's just going to take her a bit longer to feel like eating properly. As long as she is getting some food and fluids, she might be a bit brighter in another 12 or 24 hours.

Are the boys ok?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes both the boys are fine now. Still a bit sleepy, but eating, drinking, pooping as normal.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Im going to be continuing with the syringe feeding. The good news is that she has eaten a tiny piece of fresh dill and moved about some of the other herbs, so she's showing SOME interest.
All she wants to do is sit on her heat pad and not move. She is surrounded by hay and has her food and water nearby.
I was wondering about her spay wound. It seems to be huge compared to what I normally see. It's about 2 inches long, which looks huge on her tiny body. It is clean, not red, not bruised. Vet said it was fine.
They said she was well enough to be spayed and to have her myxi jab. Would it have made any difference if I had left it another week or two? or might she have still been the same?
I feel this is all my fault. Did I try to rush things too much?
Jan x

Has she had her Myxi vaccine as well as her spray Jan. if she has no wonder she is poorly Bless her as the myxi vaccine can make them poorly sometimes. I am most surprised the vet gave her a myxi jab as well as spay her Shocked

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:30 pm

FarplaceRescue wrote:Yes both the boys are fine now. Still a bit sleepy, but eating, drinking, pooping as normal.

I said they would be Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 pm

I questioned the myxi vaccine at the same time as the spay, but was told it would be fine. The boys got booster myxi jabs, but Hope has probably never had a vaccine.
I was worried it would be too much, but I was assured it was the best thing to do. I of course want her fully vaccinated, so went ahead with their suggestion.
This is a new vet practice, and i dont know them very well. My "old" vet was wonderful with bunnies (and others) but Gaz has had an argument with the "good" vets. I now have to travel 50 miles instead of 15 miles........
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 am

FarplaceRescue wrote:I questioned the myxi vaccine at the same time as the spay, but was told it would be fine. The boys got booster myxi jabs, but Hope has probably never had a vaccine.
I was worried it would be too much, but I was assured it was the best thing to do. I of course want her fully vaccinated, so went ahead with their suggestion.
This is a new vet practice, and i dont know them very well. My "old" vet was wonderful with bunnies (and others) but Gaz has had an argument with the "good" vets. I now have to travel 50 miles instead of 15 miles........

I'm quite shocked that the vet would think it fine to spay a rabbit and give it a Myxi vaccine as well to be honest Jan especially a rabbit that is not well in the first place and then they tell you she might not survive...I'm not surprised!, could Gaz not apologise to the "good" vets and you could go back there Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FarplaceRescue Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 am

Just a few hard tiny poos. But I'm so happy! She was also fighting her medicines. And she's eaten all her herbs. Happy Dance cheers Happy Dance
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 am

I've just popped on to see how Hope is and Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Isn't it funny how we can be so excited over 'bunny poop' Laughing Mike came dashing in from the garage when Kenzo was out his in playpen shouting "There's Poo, there's poo" and I can remember thinking besides 'Thank God'....only another bunny owner would know what we are going on about.

I think now Hope is eating she will start to improve...Metacam does give them an appetite and I do think sometimes without it things would be so different when it comes to GI stasis.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

wooo to poo!! cheers Happy Dance

Possibly the only time you can say that!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Go Hope!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Yay! Two bunnies pooing Happy Dance

I think there might be a christmas song in there somewhere.....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Sparky wrote:Yay! Two bunnies pooing Happy Dance

ROFL ROFL

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm so pleased to hear she is on her way to recovery.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Sparky wrote:Yay! Two bunnies pooing Happy Dance

We'll leave you to write it Sparky!!!

Happy Dance to Hope
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Thank goodness for all of the pooing bunnies, come on guys, keep it coming!!

You are so right in what you say, we are all obsessed with poo. My hubby gets bored of me saying "oooh they are some good poo's" and asking him to come and look !! Laughing

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:59 pm

How's Hope doing today Jan, I keep coming on to have a look

Hope she is improving Bless her xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Yay! I'm so pleased to hear the poo news - must be a big relief for you Very Happy Happy Dance

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next