Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice

+7
JoeyBunsMum
Felix&Willow
Dotdot
Sparky
NickieM
KatieB
icedancer
11 posters

Go down

How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice Empty How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:08 pm

As title really. I'm looking at play pens for Florence to increase her living space, but I'm struggling to work out how high she could jump! I know she can do the 50cm high sofa from the sofa to the top of it, but I don't know if that's the angle of it. I obviously don't want it so she can jump out. I'm also planning on using it when she is in her play area of the hallway and kitchen to stop her opening the door if I can, but that would obviously give her a good run up.

The one I'm looking at comes in heights 60cm, 76cm, 91cm and 107cm. Her current house is about 40cm with top and side door and she has never jumped out of the top, and it's always open when we are home. It's something along these lines, but not necessarily that one as they are different prices for different sellers and prices so will depend what size I go for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Play-Run-Cage-Pet-Dog-Puppy-Pen-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-Cat-Black-New-/120803041981?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item61ccfd7c3a

Or has someone got something that is better?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by icedancer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didn't post link!)
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice Empty Re: How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I would always go for the tallest - but then Florence has got out of a run that was about 135cm tall and have had to take precautions to ensure she doesn't go over the 6ft fence again! I guess it is all down to how determined a rabbit is to get out. I know many rabbits never really explore 'up' to much. If she wants to get out she will probably find a way it is a case of finding something she feels is spacious enough for her to want to stay in. I suspect that if I gave Flo and acre she would still want to explore next door!

Back to top Go down

How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice Empty Re: How high can your bunny jump / play pen advice

Post by KatieB Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Daisy has one that is just under a meter high. A couple of times we got home he was on the outside of it! (so we abandoned the pen altogether)

He is very agile though being a dink, . I would go for as high as you can sweet x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:32 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I would always go for the tallest - but then Florence has got out of a run that was about 135cm tall and have had to take precautions to ensure she doesn't go over the 6ft fence again! I guess it is all down to how determined a rabbit is to get out. I know many rabbits never really explore 'up' to much. If she wants to get out she will probably find a way it is a case of finding something she feels is spacious enough for her to want to stay in. I suspect that if I gave Flo and acre she would still want to explore next door!

A 6ft fence?! How did she manage that?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:32 pm

We used to look after some bunnies for friends and they were always escaping. They managed to jump out over a 3ft wall when they were babies. They also tend to jump up as far as they can and then try to scramble up further.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Rosie will escape from anything up to 3' high.

I can be kept in check by 1' high mesh Embarassed
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:54 pm

icedancer wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I would always go for the tallest - but then Florence has got out of a run that was about 135cm tall and have had to take precautions to ensure she doesn't go over the 6ft fence again! I guess it is all down to how determined a rabbit is to get out. I know many rabbits never really explore 'up' to much. If she wants to get out she will probably find a way it is a case of finding something she feels is spacious enough for her to want to stay in. I suspect that if I gave Flo and acre she would still want to explore next door!

She looks for things that she can use to help her. It might be something that you would completely overlook. In the old run she you use the bolts on the front of the hutch to get and extra leg up once she had jumped, or get right on the edge of the litter tray. She is not stupid. With the fence she managed to get on top of the old guinea pig hutch which was double storey and a flimsy fence on top of it to try and put her off the idea of getting up there. She landed on it and collapsed it then hopped over the fence. ATM I have a wire panelled run on top of the g.pigs single storey hutch to put her off then I have draped netting from the fence to the gutter on the house again partially as a deterrent and partially to stop her from being able to get over again. She has been eyeing up the folded down run by the fence for a while now.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:56 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:
icedancer wrote:

She looks for things that she can use to help her. It might be something that you would completely overlook. In the old run she you use the bolts on the front of the hutch to get and extra leg up once she had jumped, or get right on the edge of the litter tray. She is not stupid. With the fence she managed to get on top of the old guinea pig hutch which was double storey and a flimsy fence on top of it to try and put her off the idea of getting up there. She landed on it and collapsed it then hopped over the fence. ATM I have a wire panelled run on top of the g.pigs single storey hutch to put her off then I have draped netting from the fence to the gutter on the house again partially as a deterrent and partially to stop her from being able to get over again. She has been eyeing up the folded down run by the fence for a while now.

OMG! She is an escape master!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 pm

I have had her chipped now just in case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 pm

A 6ft fence? Good lord.

When Tigger does a general binky outside it often reaches heights of 3ft. She has also jumped from the floor into the bedroom of a double tier hutch with no assistance and that was about 2- 2 and a half ft
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Yep willow and Felix can jump out of their 3rd high run and do if I forget to distract them with pellets - Rory however couldn't even jump on the sofa so it would be fine for him Smile
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:03 pm

These stories have made me realise how lucky I am with her really!

I was going to go for the 91cm one, then when I measured it against her current house it looked a bit high, now I'm thinking maybe not. Generally she is more interested in running about rather than jumping, other than on the sofa, but then again I suppose she doesn't really go anywhere where she could jump up.

Flo and the 6ft fence is definitely the best bunny story I've read for a long time! I think my Florence is too stupid for that Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 am

I've bought her one that comes with a net for the top, just in case! I "think" she is a bit too dopey to escape, but I'm not running the risk. She's mastered jumping out of the door of her house as it is at the moment, but only if I'm sat there Rolling Eyes She won't do it if hubby is sat there, or it's just open. Strange animal
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I agree with everyone else, go for the highest! Barney used to be a right little acrobat - he'd jump up onto the worktops and all sorts Shocked Laughing

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 pm

ROFL Oh Cheryl that is definatly the best story I have heard in a while!!

Buttons definatly sticks to the bunny stereotype of likeing staying on the ground! He struggles to even jump up on the sofa, but he is only small so I guess that's quite high for him!! Even his binkys aren't very high either, their more long! He usually ends up crashing into a wall or door!! Laughing

Last edited by lizzi_b on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos!)
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I had a very agile bun called Rosie who would jump on top of the pen panel and balance on it, like one of those high wire walkers you see in a circus. Amazing! It was impossible to contain her in the back room, so eventually she had to go outside in a convetional hutch and run combo.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:29 pm

I havent read everyones responses, but Dolly can do the 2ft pens easily. Im sure most buns can if they want to but the other 2 will only jump out if they have stuff to stand on.

My indoor pen that i use is 3ft high, but my friend also has the same pen in 4ft high. You can also make a roof out of C&C grids if your worried about having an escapee on your hands. xx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:30 pm

icedancer wrote:I've bought her one that comes with a net for the top, just in case! I "think" she is a bit too dopey to escape, but I'm not running the risk. She's mastered jumping out of the door of her house as it is at the moment, but only if I'm sat there Rolling Eyes She won't do it if hubby is sat there, or it's just open. Strange animal

I had one with a net and Dolly stood on those willow log bridge things and chewed her way out. Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
icedancer wrote:I've bought her one that comes with a net for the top, just in case! I "think" she is a bit too dopey to escape, but I'm not running the risk. She's mastered jumping out of the door of her house as it is at the moment, but only if I'm sat there Rolling Eyes She won't do it if hubby is sat there, or it's just open. Strange animal

I had one with a net and Dolly stood on those willow log bridge things and chewed her way out. Laughing

Thanks for the warning! I'll try and make sure she can't manage that!! She will eat anything Rolling Eyes
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I didn't bother to measure how big the thing was, just height. Hubby just did Embarassed Embarassed

I think we might have to either rearrange the living room, or move out and let her have the whole room Shocked
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm sure Florence wouldn't turn down the second option Laughing
Imagine the parties she would host then!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Dotdot wrote:I'm sure Florence wouldn't turn down the second option Laughing
Imagine the parties she would host then!

As long as she cleans up after herself!! I'm not doing it if I can't go in the living room anymore Laughing
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 pm

icedancer wrote:I think we might have to either rearrange the living room, or move out and let her have the whole room Shocked
Use the pen to cage off stuff with cables, and let her have the rest of the room. I'm sure she would let you share Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Sparky wrote:
icedancer wrote:I think we might have to either rearrange the living room, or move out and let her have the whole room Shocked
Use the pen to cage off stuff with cables, and let her have the rest of the room. I'm sure she would let you share Laughing

I'm just glad I didn't get the next height up, which I nearly did do, as it was bigger in size too. Hubby would've had a heart attack and I'm not convinced I would've been able to have watched the TV!!!!

Serves me right for not measuring properly, it's not the first time either. And even when I do measure things I often get it wrong, like when I bought a sofa throw. At least it's one where you don't have to use all the panels, and it was only £25 delivered if it doesn't end up being used for this. I was going to get her an outdoor run for the spring anyway, so if it's a disaster she can use it for that.

On the plus side it would be plenty big enough for a Florence mark 2 Twisted Evil Bet hubby hasn't thought of that one!!! Whereas me and Florence......yeh we have Embarassed
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:43 pm

During his mad half hours Lil Loll regularly leapt an approximate 3ft 6ins and that was while dashing back and forth between the diningroom and sitting room. He was streak in then take off past my ear as I sat in my arm chiar. The power in those hind legs can be astounding.

And as well as leaping high there's the digging deep... working together Toffee and Truffle used to dig burrows at least 10ft deep... or long!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down