Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

charlie just went for me

4 posters

Go down

charlie just went for me Empty charlie just went for me

Post by dizzylynn Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Went to get charlies bowls so could get him fed. Opened the door and went to give him his morning clap, he went for me and growled, so I smacked his nose (Not hard just to say oi thats not happening) then noticed he was extremely jumpy, its the bleeding cat, she's jumping over the play huts trying to get someone to play with her, so it must have spooked charlie making him attack teh 1st thing he seen when his door got opened. Hopefully this is a one off, dont want him to turn nasty as the kids go out and see him all the time, last thing want is him biting one of them in the face. He loves the attention from them as long as they dont pick him up which is the rules. They sit at his doorway talkign to him and pet him or play with his wee weights and tubes with him, which one of the tubes seems to be gone dogs must have stole it when cleaned him out the other day. Do you think it was the cat making him stressed, she got chased away.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

charlie just went for me Empty Re: charlie just went for me

Post by FarplaceRescue Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:13 pm

It could be as simple as the cat spooking him.... but it's possible he is in pain. Dental perhaps? Is he eating well?
Does he have a partner / wifebun? If so, has anything changed?
I had a bonded pair, Marley and katie. Marley was neutered, katie wasn't, and they were happy. I got katie spayed, and Marley hated it. Keeps attacking her and stopping her getting to the food bowls.
After a couple of weeks of trying to sort it, i have had to separate them, as it is all getting too volitile.
Marley has also started attacking me and being very territorial about food dishes and litter trays.......... he growls and stamps and bites.
If nothing else has changed, and he goes back to behaving nice, it was probably the cat.
FarplaceRescue
FarplaceRescue
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2011-08-16

http://www.farplace.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:02 pm

He knows the wee ones are next door, but he cant get to them, it may have been the cardi I was wearing he could smell them off me but he didnt get a chance to sniff me opened the door and it was instant, no other changes have happened but he was hour late in getting fed, I had a long lie lol something I NEVER have so he was probs in the huff with me lol. I have been out so havent went back out and hubby had fell asleep (hangover) so he didnt go out and let him out to play, its getting dark soon so will get him out for while in 10 mins.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Well just went to see him, he seemed better still didnt trust him so didnt let him near my face. He got out for a wee run about while I had a nice hot cupa sitting on the step with him, he had a play with bonnie. If feel its not tooo cold will get rosie out then smokey if not have to wait till morning if gets to dark.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Normally buns get agressive because, they are not getting enough exercise, or they are in pain.

Is he getting out as much as he used to?? What is his diet at the moment? Is he eating normally??
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 am

He's eating fine, his hay, fresh daily, variaty of veg and his dry food. But he hasnt been out in the garden as much, the bad weather and home improvements left it in a bit of a mess, I felt it wasnt safe for him, but he has a big enough house its a kids play house with a level plenty room to jump up and down in and hop at least 3 times, he stretches out infront of the window, and still has tones of room on the level so its not space, think it was a cross between the cat bugging him and me being late with his feed. Went out this morning and he was fine. cuddled into me too, its really cold again.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Only comment I would make would be about your reaction when he nipped you. You shouldn't smack a rabbit when it attacks you because it is a instinctive reaction and by smacking it, the rabbit associates you with fear. If a rabbit nips you, express pain but don't smack. Rabbits don't have the cognitive ability to associate a smack on the nose as just desserts for having done something wrong. They just learn to be wary of you. I know it was probably the shock that made you do it, but I just wondered if you realised how the message come over to Charlie.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks nickie, I think it was an automatic reaction if you know what I mean, ive never done it before normaly go ouch if he actually does bite, or make a funny noice at him when he goes to it, he stops and just looks at me as if am daft then gives me a cuddle. I was trying to tell the cat to go away thats probs why i tapped him (wasnt a smack just a wee tap on the nose) he gave me a huffy look then turned his back on me. cheeky. totally dismissing mummy, I left him for min and chased the cat into the house. He was fine after that and I had food so he was sookie, today he was fine I got my cuddles and his play yesterday helped. He loves playing with the wrapping paper tubes. Spins them so belt me or roll towards me so I roll it back.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down