Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many bunnies do you have?

+4
marleyNfriends
Sparky
fall3n-ang3l
troop
8 posters

Go down

How many bunnies do you have? Empty How many bunnies do you have?

Post by troop Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

As title really? I have only ever had one or two at a time but as more and more get abandoned im concerned that i may end up with more but i like the idea of them all curled up together .... perhaps mad but im thinking of knocking a hole out the back of the stable so they can have an outdoor run of the garden out back somehow. If there is more space are they more likely to get on or is it just a case of they might they might not?? /mmm i seem to have already added more rabbits before its actually happened Embarassed

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-12-06

Back to top Go down

How many bunnies do you have? Empty Re: How many bunnies do you have?

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:19 pm

ive got 2 mini lion lop bunnies (they dont look mini though Laughing ) called spike and snowflake,also got 3 piggies Love i would love to get more but hubbie would kill me and he wont make anymore cagers Laughing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 pm

We have eleven. We tried the single colony thing, but there was too much bickering for my Hu-parents to be comfortable with. There always seemed to be one 'bottom rung' bunny who got picked on. If that one was removed, another was demoted to scapegoat status.

Ours are now in a four, three pairs and a single (me) who will be looking for a husbun soon.

Maybe if you had masses of secure outside space, and several hutches in it so they could sort themselves out into groups it could work. Or a single litter who grew up together might work.

It's also a lot more difficult to keep an eye on who is eating properly (and pooping properly) in a large group.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I have seen a really lovely set up with bunnies living in a small field about 10 of them and they have individual houses which they go to at night they look like dolls houses its like a bunny village.

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Its a nice idea, but i think it would be much harder to keep on top of health issues and there would be a lot more problems with predators. As domestic rabbits, i think they would be much safer, and possibly even happier with one or two bunny friends living free range indoors or outdoors with spacious accomodation. Thats just my opinion though. Ive heard stories about people who keep rabbits in this way, theyve often lost rabbits and not realised it, found them dead days later, found ill buns that are too sick to save and have also had outbreaks of Myxi.

I have 4 bunnies at the moment. One trio and a single, but the single is just a foster who ill be rehomed when shes ready.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Do they have runs in the field - I wouldn't be comfortable about allowing free run space without supervision. The risks are huge. My pair have free access to the garden when I am home but I need to be around to ward off any cats or birds etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm

My cats are all ok with bunnies we have a kind of live and let live policy which works. The dogs get on with the cats the cats get on with the hens the horses get on with the dogs etc etc.
I dont have this set up im just thinking out ideas for new setups. I would have a kind of covered run i think not an open field like the place im on about. Its a pretty set up though and they have very happy rabbits.

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm

I just have my one bun Buttons! I feel bad sometimes that he is a single bun but we don't physically have space for two (were in a 1 bedroom flat with nothing more than a small balcony outside!)

Sparky - Buttons says he would love to be your husbun!! I said it would be a disaster as your both hyper and norty!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:24 pm

I have 2 trios, they are aware of each other but the two girls in one of the trios don't like the buns in the mini rex trio and the male in the mini rex trio doesn't like the male in the other trio, so no bonding opportunities there Smile They live outdoors on opposite sides of the garden and share the grass which is enclosed within a pen and divided to keep the trios apart.

I don't think all buns appreciate having heaps of running around space tbh, the two girls don't really use the garden that much whereas the rexes are always out, even in the rain. The other girls are more home based and territorial.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I had 7 until yesterday. I now have 6. 2 Netherland Dwarfs, Blue & White Dutch, Lionhead Lop, Dwarf Lop & Agouti Dutch Cross.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm

23 rescue bunnies and if I had the room many more Love Love

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:00 pm

wow thats a lot of bunnies boinging Thumbs Up

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down