Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Litter Tray/Hay Rack Advice

3 posters

Go down

Litter Tray/Hay Rack Advice Empty Litter Tray/Hay Rack Advice

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Ok here's one for you!!

In the rescue, Dougals litter tray had hay in it. Florence doesn't eat hay from a hack rack. So I'm getting Dougal not using the litter tray and using the hay instead, and Florence not eating the hay because Dougal has peed and pooed on it!

Any ideas?!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Litter Tray/Hay Rack Advice Empty Re: Litter Tray/Hay Rack Advice

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm

So, where do you put the hay at the moment?
I would put some in a rack that isnt too compact/with quite wide bars so she does have some clean hay available. You could also buy a lunch box sized tub that Dougal cant fit into so that florence has some hay that she can easily munch on.

I have another idea too, but cant explain it. Its something designed for horses, but you could probably do it for bunnies too. Bare with me while i find a picture/link.

ETA: Have a look at these, do you think shed prefer something like this to a hay rack? Im sure you could fashion something similar Smile
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=the+hay+bag&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3772l4790l0l5357l11l7l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=636&wrapid=tlif132820184336210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=e8AqT4OzGYj_-ga7teirDg
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 pm

In the indoor cage, half is the litter tray, which has shredded paper in it, and the other half is newspaper with hay on top. Which worked fine when it was just Florence, but Dougal is assuming that's where he is meant to go to the toilet! He also digs out the shredded paper, but that's not so much of an issue.

I've tried putting some of the posh hay from hay for pets in the hay rack, as I'm not having him weeing on that, but I think she's ignoring it. Do you think if I don't put hay on the floor, instead shredded paper all over the bottom, to try and retrain Dougal?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 pm

icedancer wrote:In the indoor cage, half is the litter tray, which has shredded paper in it, and the other half is newspaper with hay on top. Which worked fine when it was just Florence, but Dougal is assuming that's where he is meant to go to the toilet! He also digs out the shredded paper, but that's not so much of an issue.

I've tried putting some of the posh hay from hay for pets in the hay rack, as I'm not having him weeing on that, but I think she's ignoring it. Do you think if I don't put hay on the floor, instead shredded paper all over the bottom, to try and retrain Dougal?

Im not sure really. All three of mine had it down to a fine art until i bonded them and it hasnt been the same since. However, when i bonded marley and dolly, it took a while for them to settle down as they had different habbits. One liked a hay rack, the other liked hay in the litter tray. Now both bunnies will do the same thing. I tend to put some hay in their litter tray, but put most of their hay in a big home made rack. Its difficult really, I would train them to do what you want them to do - easier said than done i know, but its just been trial and error for us until we find something that suits everybun.

Sorry, i know i wasnt much use!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I can see her disgust when she goes up to the hay and sniffs it!! Lol. I think she's still using the litter tray, but I can't actually tell because Dougal is digging in it No I've asked her to have a word with him!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:14 pm

icedancer wrote:I can see her disgust when she goes up to the hay and sniffs it!! Lol. I think she's still using the litter tray, but I can't actually tell because Dougal is digging in it No I've asked her to have a word with him!!
Bless her.
Mind you, now the honeymoon period is over, its all downhill now! What did she expect, hooking up with a big burley bloke Wink Theyre messy beggars!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 pm

You've got a good point there!! Its the same as leaving the toilet seat up isn't it!!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm

icedancer wrote:You've got a good point there!! Its the same as leaving the toilet seat up isn't it!!
ROFL
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about peed on hay. Bruce and Flo have their hay in a large litter tray with just newspaper underneath. They have tended to pee towards the back and eat from the front. Poos are certainly not a problem as they do not contaminate the hay. I just change the tray every evening and all is fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 pm

She turns her nose up at it though Laughing

I put some of the Hay For Pets into the hay rack with it hanging over, and she has shown some interest. She's nowhere near munching it as much as she did when it was on the floor though.

They are also now both pooing in the playpen No I know it's both of them, as his are larger Laughing It looks like I'm going to have to re-litter train both of them. Florence litter trained herself so I'm not even sure where to start. I think I'm going to have to lock them both into the house overnight to try and remind them both. I just feel so bad doing it.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm

After yet another wee in the dog bed (DOUGAL!) I've taken drastic measures. I've got a second litter tray to go at the end Dougals been using, and now the whole of the cage is covered with shredded paper. They've also been shut in the cage tonight, which I feel awful about, but I've got to do something, they are both losing litter habits, and Florence isn't eating hay if Dougal has peed on it!

She was so well litter trained before I'm a bit confused, but I suppose if she was peeing on hay too she might be confused.

Once they are litter trained again, hopefully I can address the hay problem. And they can then have the playpen back at night.

Poor bunnies
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Lots of buns like to have hay in their litter tray. Mine all do and luckily none of them do their business anywhere else. Its because most buns like to eat while they "go"

They all have megazorb and then a layer of hay on top.

Daisy also has a teeny plastic dog bed which I put his eating hay in.

Pic 4 in this post

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t11109-this-is-where-i-live#136926

This really helps as its soo much tidier than a hay rack - he hops in, eats his hay and hops out again, the hay doesnt get everywhere so its not messy. I only put the hay in a pile in one end so that it doesnt look the same way his litter tray does so that there is no confusion......

Just an idea hunni x x x

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down