Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"?

+2
Jay
icedancer
6 posters

Go down

Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"? Empty Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"?

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:50 am

I've got a bit of a strange worry with Dougal. I totally adore him, and I wouldn't be without him at all, he is a sweetheart. Everyday he does something to make me melt a little, this morning he saw me coming down the stairs and ran over to greet me. But he doesn't feel like "mine". It just feels like I'm looking after him for someone and its just temporary.

Even hubby is taken by him now, he said last night how annoyed Florence would be if we took Dougal back, and started saying how if something happened to Florence we'd have to get Dougal a new friend Shocked but I can't bring myself to say "come to mummy" to Dougal, but I do to Florence. Yet I love him as much as I do her.

Is this normal with rescue bunnies or am I just odd?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"? Empty Re: Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"?

Post by Jay Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 am

mmm, is the issue that you he doesn't feel like yours, or that you haven't accepted him yet? There is a subtle difference I think.

Stewie didn't feel like ours for a few months, but that was cos I was struggling with accepting him after Bertie's loss. Is there a reason why you may be doing the same, or even that something he does makes ytou feel like it? Clearly he wants to be with you and sees you as his - running to greet you is a special thing I think Very Happy

I'm sure that it will pass in time, and I woudln't worry about it, as you say, you love him lots Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"? Empty Re: Rescue Bunnies - do they ever feel like "yours"?

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 am

I'm sure its that he doesn't feel like mine, although I do still feel guilty that I chose him over the original bunny I went to see (especially as he is still waiting for a home).

Dougal loves us, if he's in the house when we come home he's straight out to greet is, and he's started getting excited when he sees us. He's settled in really well, although is still a stroppy bun if we try and do something he doesn't want to do, like a brush.

Its odd. Maybe its because I've never had a grown animal move in before, only babies.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 am

It is a time of adjustment for you, your OH, Florence and Dougal. Don't be hard on yourself and let it all come naturally Smile

You have given that little man a new start, even if you never bond to him quite as much as you have with Florence, he is still very lucky and much loved!

I'll never bond with another bun in the same way I did with Thumper, but I don't suppose that means I wouldn't love them in a different way. I hope.

Sorry, I don't think that was of much help Embarassed
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 am

I'll never bond with another bun in the same way I did with Thumper, but I don't suppose that means I wouldn't love them in a different way. I hope
I can completely understand this - my bond with the bear is not the same as that with Bertie, not even close, but I love him just as much Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 pm

I don't feel I own Florence but that is because she is such a free spirit rather than because she is a rescue bun. I also think that when you have a second bun the bond to you is not instantly as close as the first. The first bun only bonds to you to start with and so you are close. The second bun needs to bond to the first before you so your relationship with them may take a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Our only adoptee is Rosie. Humum says that even before she was home, during the cooling-off period, there was no question Roo was her bunny. For all the buns she has cooed over and thought about how lovely it would be to give them a home, she's never been affected in the same way she was when she first saw Roo and just knew she was supposed to come and live with us.

icedancer wrote:I do still feel guilty that I chose him over the original bunny I went to see (especially as he is still waiting for a home).
Don't feel guilty. Unless you're planning to become a multi-bun household, you rescued as many as you could. I know you would hate to think of your Dougal being back in rescue...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 pm

I think he would stage a protest and refuse to move. He's got his paws firmly under the table Laughing

I did slip up tonight oddly, I can't remember what I was saying but I was talking to Dougal and I did refer to me as Mummy. When I look at him I do feel love and affection for him, but it just feels like I am looking after him for a friend. I don't think he feels that way, he's here with his slippers and pipe!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh bless, don't worry, I think it will take time. I am more fond of some of my rabbits than I am of others, I treat them all the same and love them all, but two of them hold a special place in my heart.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm

I have days when I cant quite believe they are mine. But im not sure if thats because I wanted more buns for so long that I can hardly believe they are here.

Other times I feel like they are completely mine. I was worried that they hadnt accepted me as their mummy, that they perhaps just thought of me as another rescue worker but when I took them for their Myxi the other day Charlie snuggled right into me bless him away from the vet. They come up to me and nudge me but when I try and stroke them they run off, once captured though they do seem to enjoy a good cuddle.

I dont have the bond with them that I do with Daisy - but then I didnt expect to as what I have with Daisy is spesh, but I do love them both to bits and would move the world for them if I needed to.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down