Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please.

+6
BwfcAngel
isla
Laura
Happy Hoppers
Becca6
Sixer
10 posters

Go down

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please. Empty Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please.

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Have found half a dozen white/translucent worms on the top of BJ's and/or Rosie's poops. They are about 0.25 to 0.5 cm long and are not moving. I could not bring myself to disect poos Sad We did take a piccie but the little blighters are too blurred to see.

I guess they look like threadworms or roundworms. We have inspected bums and there is nothing to be seen. Will Panacur suffice or is a different medication needed.

Have they got them from eating grass?

Will be at the vets at 9am tomorrow.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please. Empty Re: Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please.

Post by Becca6 Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:25 pm

I had this happen with Bella - pretty gross isn't it Shocked I'd been putting off panacuring as I thought it'd be a nightmare doing it, so had the stuff in, but hadn't tried giving it.

As soon as I saw them I started dosing both Bella and Tarquin - a nine day course of Panacur and the blighters stopped appearing after the first few days' treatment. I just gave the recommended nine days and haven't seen any sign of the horrid things since.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please. Empty Re: Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please.

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks for that. Have just realised PAH sell Panacur so I am going to shoot off down there. The sooner the buns get some Panacur into them the better!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:34 pm

It seems to work quite quickly. From what I've read, to be able to see them they've got them pretty bad, and I'm sure by the third or fourth day I couldn't see any more. Yucky things.

And after all that, it was dead easy getting the Panacur into them - didn't even try syringing it into them as I knew that wouldn't work, but put between a couple of banana chips - which they only get as a bedtime treat - and they just wolved them down.

I never found out how they got them - they're house bunnies - but suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you can get rid of the horrid nasty creatures Evil or Very Mad

Good luck - hope you find it easy administering it! Very Happy
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

It's supposed to be 9 days Panacur for these types of worm but rabbits can reinfect themselves by ingesting the eggs so food & water needs to be raised off the floor and hygiene must be stringent regarding the removal of feaces.

If you want to run two 9 day courses back to back it wont do them any harm.

Last edited by Sooz on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:45 pm

The dose often needs to be higher than the normal 20mg/kg too.
My Vet recommends 30-40mg/kg for intestinal worms

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. The litter trays are changed daily so this is the first time we have seen them. Rosie weighs 1.8kg and BJ 2.1kg so they will be getting a slightly higher doseage than recommended by Panacur. Until I am sure the worms have gone I will change the litter tray twice a day. I have also chucked out the carpet the buns sleep on.
Their water bowl is in the corner on the top level of the hutch, as far away from the litter tray as possible and they always have food in clean bowls but I will disinfect these too.
Louise and I were just admiring the size of the poos when we spotted the worms Sad
Fingers crossed we have not found anything in the other rabbits trays, but am off to double check. All of the bunnies have been Panacured in the last three months apart from BJ who had had a 28 day course before we got him.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please. Vomit-smiley-007

worms = sick in my mouth!!

fricking bumbums! Laughing

I did 18 days of panacur, he literally pooped a load out and then they stopped. scratch I couldn't get to the vets Embarassed Ryan's fault with his dumb work.

But he's been alright since. If I see a worm again, he'll be going to the vet!

Ooh, I got a really good worm picture actually!
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Laura, you are a tonic! Your posts always make me smile Very Happy

Please don't go to any trouble finding the worm picture!

Have just inspected the latest poops - no obvious worms Hmmm
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:18 pm

oh no, no trouble at all, get excited! I hope you've eaten!! Laughing

Frickin' bumbums - we have worms too. Help please. DSCF2386
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isla Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Ergh!!! That pic are gross, at least I know what to look out for now though, yuck.

isla
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks Laura so much Suspect

But yep, that looks like our uninvited guests. Have just picked up a stringer with one attached. I hate, hate, hate them. None in the other bunnies litter trays so far (touchwood). Fortunately our three pairs do not share the same spaces so hopefully they will not pass them to each other.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:37 pm

They make me heave and I'm chasing around scooping up any poops before they hit the floor! Laughing
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BwfcAngel Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Laura wrote:oh no, no trouble at all, get excited! I hope you've eaten!! Laughing

PMSL! Laughing Laughing Ha, always wondered what they looked like!
BwfcAngel
BwfcAngel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm

No worms in the litter tray this morning cheers but am not giving the bunnies the all clear yet.

I mentioned our worm problem to my vet this morning (cat in for a check up)and he had no knowledge of lifecycle/cause etc of bunny worms without looking it up. He also doubted at first that we had worms. Laura, I am going to print off your fantastic piccie and let him have it!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Oh yuk that photo is awful!

But actually informative too! cheers Laughing
Kay
Kay
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by HenriForever_ Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:10 am

Laura wrote:

Oh my lord this is what i just found in my little Alfi 30 minutes ago!! I'M MORTIFIED!!! Shocked
HenriForever_
HenriForever_
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 am

Panacur him for 9 days. Get it from your vet or P@H. If you're lucky he will take it from the tube. It has a measured dispenser and you squirt it in. If not, you may have to spread it on a bit of green or carrot to entice them. I have to do mine too, not because of worms thankfully, but I am dreading it. Hope Alfie is clear soon.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:33 am

Vibes for Alfie, hope he's clear soon.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down