Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric!

+2
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
6 posters

Go down

Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric! Empty Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric!

Post by gentl Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 am

My precious fluff-head has started chewing holes in fabric! He started by chewing that hole on the sleeve of a shirt. I thought I must have gotten something tasty on the shirt. But now he is chewing sheets, towels and other clothing. He has things to chew on. A willow wreath, apple wood twigs, wooden block toys and ALL the cardboard and paper he can hold....and he holds a lot! Ideas on how to get him to stop?
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric! Empty Re: Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric!

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 am

The thing is Holly rabbit's are natural chewers it's what they do and it doesn't matter how many natural chew toys you have, twigs, edible mats they will still nibble furniture and shoes and clothing if they get the chance.
If I catch any of our gang nibbling at a chair leg or digging at the carpet I just clap my hands and say 'no' and give them one of their own toy's to play with straight away Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric! Empty Re: Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric!

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I don't know if you already know, but Thumper had a blankie and she loved it. The whole reason we gave her it was because she was chewing my mum's curtains and the back of the sofa Embarassed

After we gave her it, she never chewed the curtains or the sofa again! cheers Poor blankie was chewed to death though Laughing

I would highly recommend you giving it a go. But be warned, it will be peed on and it'll never be out of the washing machine Laughing I had to have a spare so I could wash it but she was never as keen on it.

This is her with her much loved blankie Love
Need advice on stopping my bunny chewing holes in fabric! IMG_3342
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Oh naughty Thumper!

I would agree with Thumper2001, one of Daisy's fave things to play with is a T-towel, he digs it chews it and throws it.

k x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm

When Florence was spayed I gave her a towel to lie on which I washed daily. I now have two towels with lots of holes in Laughing

She also used to eat clothes, the sofa and various other things, and the only thing that stopped her was getting Dougal! I know that's quite a drastic solution, but it is noticeable that she has never chewed the sofa throw, or me, since he moved in. It may have been that it was coincidence with her hormones clearing up after being spayed, but she's definitely less destructive. Not that I'm encouraging you to get Thumper a friend!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 am

Aww Thumper is sooo cute with her blanket! Love That is a really good idea, I should probably get Nibbler one as he loves to have a go at my blanket (which I think would be a bit too big for him!). I gave him one of my socks a while ago, he loves to run around with it chucking it about & pulling on it. Got a cute video of him doing it, I will have to share it when I can upload it Smile
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks for all the advice! I'll find something cotton with short fibers so if he ingests them there won't be a problem. I can't believe he has started this after all this time, but I guess habits can change! Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down