Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the bunnies today, have a few questions

+4
Tuckerbunnies
Dotdot
gentl
valpal22
8 posters

Go down

Got the bunnies today, have a few questions Empty Got the bunnies today, have a few questions

Post by valpal22 Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 pm

We got them today, both flop eared females that have not been living together. We are their re home from being re homed lol!
Will they learn to drink from a water bottle, they came to us not using one and I prefer it over a bowl of water. They have also been fed what I would call " meat" rabbit food. It's a high protein alfalfa based food. I bought a bag of timothy hay based high fiber rabbit food. I'm not sure how they will take to it.Also what are some good referenced for getting them bonded?

valpal22
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Got the bunnies today, have a few questions Empty Re: Got the bunnies today, have a few questions

Post by gentl Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Hopefully they will take well to the new food. It's supposed to go easier if you gradually transition the food, but I didn't know that in the beginning and never had a problem, so hopefully you won't either. They will get accustomed to the water bottle. I always thought the bottle was best, but after reading here, we now have a bowl and bottle. He drinks more water with the bowl. They have a hard time with the bottle because the ball valve gets cranky and until I was home all day with the bunnies I didn't realize how often it happened. We still have the bottle by his litter box. He doesn't sit in it all that much, but the water is there if he does. Thumper is a free range bunny so there are lots more comfortable places.

Bonding articles:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-4/tough-bonding.html
http://www.myhouserabbit.com/tip_bonding.php
http://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/BondingInfo/tabid/63/Default.aspx

And a DELIGHTFUL site about learning to 'hear' and 'speak' rabbit!: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Got the bunnies today, have a few questions Empty Re: Got the bunnies today, have a few questions

Post by Dotdot Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I would recommend both bottle and bowl. In the summer my two seem to love a bowl, it's easier for them to drink out of when it's hot and it takes less effort, but in winter (and even now) they are still using the bottle and ignoring the bowl.

Regarding food it is worth a slow switch over a couple of weeks. For example 90% old stuff 10% new stuff for a couple of days then 80% old stuff 20% new stuff etc etc.

Have they been sexed yet?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:43 pm

I would put a bunny bottle on the side of their hutch/indoor cage and also give them a dish of water as well, water is so important to a bunny.

There are some good rabbit dried foods out there Supreme Sience Selective or Burgess Excel being the most popular and they will also need unlimited hay which is full of fibre and nutrients to keep their digestive tract healthy.

Good Bonding Sites

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:03 am

Bunnies generally prefer a bowl, it allows them to drink more - however you should make sure that the bowl is heavy!

For the food you should change this over gradually over a period of 10 days.

Remember the most important food the bunnies can have is fresh good quality hay. it should make up around 80% of their diet with veg and pellets making up the other 30%.

if the girls have not been spayed you may find it very difficult putting them together. Bunnies are very territorial and unlike dogs will not work out who is boss and leave it at that - they will continue to fight until one is seriously if not fatally injured.

There are methods of bonding that will bring them together, because ideally no bun should live alone. The links above will really help you.

Please do keep asking any questions you have - we are always happy to help.

Sending nose rubs to your new additions x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 am

I agree with all the above. My drink from both bowl and bottle but drink much more from from the bowl. Change over of food should be slow. And you should be feeding mostly hay. As for bonding it is a bit of a case of playing it by ear. But I would be capitalising on them being in a strange place and getting on with it NOW! Put them in a strange room together and see how they get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I've had a similar experience with Nibbler and his water bowl. I only ever had the bottle but he always pulled at it when he was drinking and I wondered if it wasn't allowing water to come out but my finger was always wet when I tested it. So after reading on here I got Nibbler a ceramic bowl and since then I've not heard or seen him use his bottle, he much prefers the bowl.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by valpal22 Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm

We have a bowl and a bottle in each cage. They do seem to prefer the bowl.They have been sexed and are females. I have been mixing the old food and new food and they seem to only be eating the new food! We are feeding Timothy complete but Kaytee, it is the highest quality food available in our town. It met all the fiber, protein and calcium levels that I have read on many bunny websites. I also put timothy hay and orchard grass in each cage.

Their names are Brownie and Midnight. ( kids named them)

valpal22
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm

valpal22 wrote:We have a bowl and a bottle in each cage. They do seem to prefer the bowl.They have been sexed and are females. I have been mixing the old food and new food and they seem to only be eating the new food! We are feeding Timothy complete but Kaytee, it is the highest quality food available in our town. It met all the fiber, protein and calcium levels that I have read on many bunny websites. I also put timothy hay and orchard grass in each cage.

Their names are Brownie and Midnight. ( kids named them)

Thumbs Up

We need photos next, we love photos on HH Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:42 pm

I was just wondering why we had not seen any photos! Laughing

Mine just have a water bottle, as they tend to poo in bowls. They have also been known to pee in their bowls, and despite me getting the heaviest bowl I could find, Toffee will throw them round all over the place.

She can be a little madam that one!
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Sounds like you are doing a great job Thumbs Up

I can't wait to see them Smile

Sue_pawz wrote:I was just wondering why we had not seen any photos! Laughing

Mine just have a water bottle, as they tend to poo in bowls. They have also been known to pee in their bowls, and despite me getting the heaviest bowl I could find, Toffee will throw them round all over the place.

She can be a little madam that one!
I couldn't have a bowl with Thumper either, she used to paddle in it and everything would end up in the bowl No Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Sounds like they have landed on their paws! Very Happy
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down