Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walk in Run

+2
KatieB
SarahJane
6 posters

Go down

Walk in Run Empty Walk in Run

Post by SarahJane Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 am

My buns have a shed, with a run attached. The run is 5 x 5, although it did used to be 10 x 5 until I had to make it shorter for a few reasons (domino sore feet/then benji arriving and needing the space for his hutch).

I am looking to get a walk in run to replace their run as I am really struggling with my health to clean them out. They do a lot of poop and mess in the run and climbing in on my hands and knees is a real struggle. It also makes it hard to spend time with them as the shed is too dusty and full of fur/hair that flies around and i cant sit in there. The best option I have is a walk in run, which will be airy and then i can just walk in and sit with them and it would be so much easier to clean out.

I guess I want something about 6 foot so its the same length as the shed and then about 5-6 foot in length. My buns are getting older and they dont run around like they did so theres no point getting really long like 10 foot again, especially when I am on a budget.

Making my own isnt an option as Dad has had knee surgery although i could attach mesh to a frame.

Option suggestions? thank you!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Walk in Run Empty Re: Walk in Run

Post by KatieB Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

My guys boarded somewhere locally last week and they had walk in runs....about the size you are talking abount and they were just fab. They had used a strong mesh frame with a door in.
I thought this morning how much easier it was as I was climbing into the run practically on my hands and knees in the rain to jostle Charlie into the shed so I could capture him for meds!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am

A walk in run is something I am definitely going to have when I move out! I don't know why I thought making it so low was a good idea Laughing

Caroline, who I adopted Jeeves from, uses both these companies for the walk in runs/ aviaries at her rescue.

http://www.westhagleyaviaries.co.uk/menu/menu.htm
(This one is pretty cool as you just buy all the panels seperately!)

And then there is this one who will pretty much build it however you want it http://www.aviaries4u.co.uk/index.htm

Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm

You can buy aviary panels from garden centres etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 pm

This is a great idea Cheryl love and I am relally sorry to hear you haven't been well. You know where I am if you need me.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 pm

We have decided to take apart the run they have and use the spare panels too and make our own.

Going to make it a frame with three sides, and then only panel two of them. One side will be against the wall secured - no need for mesh, and the other side is against the shed. So in theory we only need two sides to be mesh paneled. The run they have is 5 x 5 x 2 so if I stand the panels on their sides they will be 2 foot a piece.

Will put them next to each other and give them 6 foot x 6 foot hopefully! Smile

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Yep, it's an aviary you are looking for. They do come up used on eBay, or separate panels so you can put them together the size and shape you want are readily available Thumbs Up

ETA - should have read to the end before posting Embarassed
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Aviarys are great, I built one to put the hutches in. It is sooooooo much easier to clean the hutch out when it's raining/windy if you are inside something instead of out in the elements. My runs have removable tops so I can step inside them. Luckily, my buns are quite tidy with their runs, so they only need sweeping around a couple of times of month whereas the avairy hutches and playhouse need doing every other day.

I'd love to see a photo when you have done yours Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down