Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Binky's Little Shadow

+5
Thumper2001
marleyNfriends
KatieB
Sparky
Big Ears
9 posters

Go down

Binky's Little Shadow Empty Binky's Little Shadow

Post by Big Ears Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:15 pm

It makes it all so real writing this but the little guy deserves a tribute, so here goes.

Binky's Little Shadow PICT0004

Shadow and his brother Binky came into my life in early January 2011 alarm was raised on another internet community I belong to. Two nasty little hutches were being sold on ebay with 'free rabbits' being offered - with the finishing line of 'if they are not gone by Friday they are going in the pot!' Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad The listing on ebay was removed and the work in the background began. Emma (forum name on here), 14 at the time got permission off her mum to take the rabbits on a temporary basis as long as they had a permanent/foster/rescue place to move on to. Emma was only about 2 miles away from the person who as 'getting rid' of these beautiful rabbits.

So, I said I would take them to foster - get then neutered, vaccinated etc and rehome them, I didn't intend to keep them (yeah, right). When Emma got them a few days later and posted pictures of them I got a bit worried that they had bad dental problems, and likely snuffles, as expressed by various forum members, as they had weepy eyes and wet noses, and sadly instead of staying with Emma for a week myself and friend Jenny went over for them after a couple of days as I wanted FHB to assess them as soon as possible.

Neither had infections, and it turns out Binky didn't have dental problems and after a tear duct flush his eyes haven't been weepy and he's been doing great. Shadow, sadly from the beginning I was told that his teeth were awful and he's had a few bouts of not being able to maintain his weight. An x-ray last year showed he had a tiny liver and there was a suspicion that there was something more serious wrong with him but he was managing to keep at a reasonable weight with care and always, always bright and enthusiastic for food.

Binky and Shadow had the most incredible bond, they were always grooming each other and snuggling. When begging for treats Shadow would always climb over his brother's head and back and there was never a cross word between them.

I noticed that Shadow was having even more trouble chewing than usual on Tuesday morning and gave him several Carroty treats to watch him closely, it took him ages to eat then and he was doing something strange with his tongue, within 45 minutes he had FHB examining his teeth. It was decided the best thing to do was remove his incisors. There was also something bad going on at the back of his mouth that she needed a better look at. On Wednesday he got through the GA and dental okay, he just remained subdued afterwards and then quietly, peacefully passed away. FHB wanted to understand why he never thrived so investigated and told me she found that the most of blood vessels that were supposed to go to his liver by-passed it, this was supposed to be how the nutrition was absorbed but as the blood vessels were in the wrong place he just wasn't getting as much of the nutrition from his food as he needed, which by two and a half years old had made him too poorly to cope. It also explains why his teeth were so awful. It would have been inoperable, even if we had known what was wrong. The poor babe didn't really stand a chance. Crying or Very sad

You were such a sweet little lad Shadow, never difficult, always such a treasure to care for, sometimes you managed to groom me as well as your brother, I'm sure as a single bun you would have become exceptionally close to me but the bond you and your brother had was all you needed to make you happy.

I so, so wish we could have made you better Shadow, you obviously loved life to live as long as you did with something so badly wrong with your construction. You stayed with me rather than being rehomed when I realised you were health-compromised, so you could get the best vet care there is but sadly there are some things even the best vets can't mend Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sadCrying or Very sad

You go into the next world with you teeth newly fixed, so hopefully you'll be able to eat well at the Rainbow Bridge, hopefully your body is strong as your spirit now. Both Binky and myself got chance to tell you we loved you and how much we will miss you. We were so privileged to have you in our lives. I'm trying to be happy you were here rather than sad you have gone, but I think it will take a while yet. I'll take great care of Binky for you, as he took care of you.

Binky's Little Shadow Th_PICT0014
This Video is the boys newly re-introduced after neutering. I take comfort in how well Shadow (dark one) looks in this.

Sadly, I don't spend much time taking pictures, so I don't have a huge selection of them, but will post some more when I can see through the tears.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Binky's Little Shadow Empty Re: Binky's Little Shadow

Post by Sparky Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:41 pm

What a gorgeous guy he was, and a miracle he made it so long with the problems he had - no doubt due to the wonderful care you gave him. Thanks heavens he was removed from his previous 'home' and had a chance of happiness.

Binky free, Shadow Love Love Love

Your Humum and brother will miss you horribly Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm so sorry. What a lucky boy to have had you, and to have known what it was to be loved xx

Have fun at the bridge gorgeous boy, you will be missed xxxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Oh no Crying or Very sad Im so, so sorry Sad
I remember these bunnies from when i was on the other forum, and i also saw Emma's video of them. They were so lucky to be rescued, and to have found a home where they were properly cared for and Shaddows health was properly managed.

Im do terribly sorry for your loss, i know how hard it is. Binky free at the bridge Shaddow Love Hugs to your hoomin and noserubs to Binky. xxxxxxxxxx

PS - I didnt realise it was you who had taken these lucky lads on!! Thank you for giving them a wonderful home. Hugs
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm so sorry that you lost gorgeous Shadow Crying or Very sad

He was so lucky to have found you. After a horrible start in life, he found happiness and love. It's so sad that his time was cut short Sad

Sleep well Shadow, you'll be very much missed x
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks everybody Love

marleyNfriends wrote:Oh no Crying or Very sad Im so, so sorry Sad
I remember these bunnies from when i was on the other forum, and i also saw Emma's video of them.

It was actually Emma's videos of these two together, getting along so well unneutered, that made me decide they should be rebonded once they'd had the snip. I had originally intended to rehome them separately as I thought they'd stand a better chance of being rehomed quickly singly. i would also have been too scared of keeping two males together. You can learn a lot from 14 year olds if you are prepared to listen! Emma also considered adopting them at the time - if she had she would have lost 4 bunnies in one year Crying or Very sad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Big Ears wrote:Thanks everybody Love

marleyNfriends wrote:Oh no Crying or Very sad Im so, so sorry Sad
I remember these bunnies from when i was on the other forum, and i also saw Emma's video of them.

It was actually Emma's videos of these two together, getting along so well unneutered, that made me decide they should be rebonded once they'd had the snip. I had originally intended to rehome them separately as I thought they'd stand a better chance of being rehomed quickly singly. i would also have been too scared of keeping two males together. You can learn a lot from 14 year olds if you are prepared to listen! Emma also considered adopting them at the time - if she had she would have lost 4 bunnies in one year Crying or Very sad

Shes had a tough time of it too, loosing both Jasper and Blossom and Mischeif No The world seems to be a very sad place for bunnies at the moment Crying or Very sad She is a fab example for young bunny owners though. Its a shame she doesnt use this forum much.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm so sorry for yours and Binky's loss, it sounds like they had a wonderful life with you.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks again so much everybody. I was on automatic pilot for quite a few days and then it really hit me when I wrote Rainbow Bridge for him.

I've just collected his ashes Sad

The crematorium experience was actually very comforting, I've never used one before but the lady there is excellent at what she does. It was good to be able to spend time with him and then to take him there rather than just collect a box of ashes from the vets in due course.

Before I took him there I cut a small collection of his fur so I have a little box of his lovely brown fur to remember him by. It's so hard to think that he was still alive this time last week and it never crossed my mind that I'd lose him as he had GAs before and coped well.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm glad you have him home now where he belongs. I hope you are ok Hun xxxx

How is Binky doing?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Katieb wrote:I'm glad you have him home now where he belongs. I hope you are ok Hun xxxx

How is Binky doing?

Thank you.

Binky was like I was for the first couple of days - he seemed to be coping. I really think he knew his brother was quite poorly because he had been overgrooming his ears, something I didn't see as significant until after the event Crying or Very sad

Binky has been a lot quieter for the last few days, on the first day home he was living up to his name and really Binkying about Shocked I kind of think he was 'proving' he was alright ... maybe he's felt the stress of looking after his sick companion, even though I didn't realise the extent to how sick he was. Binky actually looks quite scruffy from his moult today. I haven't put him back in the hutch they shared but I've put him in my fostering hutch so he can see Barnaby and Eloise, which I'm sure is helping him. It was my intention to bond Barnaby and Eloise but I'm now wondering if I should introduce her to Binky as his need is greater. (Barnabub is used to being single).. then find a companion for Barnaby when I can face the search.

I got a vaccination reminder card with just "Binky" on it today, which was upsetting. I'd already got it booked so cancelled Shadow's but it's hard seeing one name without the other Sad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

Big Ears wrote:maybe he's felt the stress of looking after his sick companion, even though I didn't realise the extent to how sick he was.
Jack was the same - with Mrs D he was very quiet for a long time. It was only after she died that we realised she had been poorly for longer than we had appreciated, and he was always by her side. Now he is with Layla, he is completely different - it is like he is free to enjoy being a bunny again. Tough as that whole period was for him and us, and much as we still miss Mrs D, things seem to have worked out for the best for us. I hope they do for you guys too Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:15 am

Only just seen this I'm so sorry Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Sparky wrote: Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

Big Ears wrote:maybe he's felt the stress of looking after his sick companion, even though I didn't realise the extent to how sick he was.
Jack was the same - with Mrs D he was very quiet for a long time. It was only after she died that we realised she had been poorly for longer than we had appreciated, and he was always by her side. Now he is with Layla, he is completely different - it is like he is free to enjoy being a bunny again. Tough as that whole period was for him and us, and much as we still miss Mrs D, things seem to have worked out for the best for us. I hope they do for you guys too Hugs Hugs

Hugs to you also.

Yeah, it looks like they knew more than we did. I just wish he could have told me then I could have spoilt him a bit more. I've only just realised now how much of my routine was based on his special needs. He drank and peed gallons so I was always topping up the water bowl and had to spend a lot of time cleaning up. Chopping cabbage took a lot longer than just giving him half a leaf as I do the others. I always popped out to give them a Carroty treat when making a brew, just to make sure he could eat it okay. I've been punishing myself for neglecting him that I didn't notice but maybe they are just too darn good at disgusing it. I suppose if FHB checked him over before GA and didn't consider him at too high a risk then a layperson like myself couldn't have been expected to see he was so ill.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Goodness me - the last thing ou should do is punish yourself! You are sooo knowledgable and your buns have best care that here is.

It was just his time Hun xxxxxxxxxxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 am

Shadow was such a handsome boy, so sorry for your loss. Sleep well Shadow xxx
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was beautiful and sounded like such a sweet bunny. Love

Do not blame yourself. You took him from a terrible life and gave him the best life he could have with you, which is probably why he held on for so long as a poorly bun. It was not your fault in any way.

Binky free at the bridge Shadow, and nom up all of your favourite things with you good teeth! Smile

Thinking of you at this very difficult time. Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down