Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should i scatter feed now?

+2
Rachel&Nibbler
marleyNfriends
6 posters

Go down

Should i scatter feed now? Empty Should i scatter feed now?

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 am

I couldnt help but notice that Dolly has gained some weight, not a lot, but its noticable when i just pick her up. Weighed them both the other day, Dolly had gained a bit (and i think she has been slowly for a few months) and Marley has maintained weight.
Im just wondering if instead of feeding their pellets in a bowl, i should be scattering them in their forage box or on the floor? I dont want to cut down on their pellets, because Marley is doing ok, and Dolly certainly isnt over weight, so what do you think?

They get half a cup of pellets between them (ss and excel sensitive) and then they get 2 cups of veggies on an evening and i also scatter wild forage in their digging box to get them to eat more hay.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Should i scatter feed now? Empty Re: Should i scatter feed now?

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 am

I always put Nibbler's pellets in a treat ball to encourage some exercise for them, though I don't know if that would work with 2 bunnies unless they had one each or you could end up with 1 getting them all & the other missing out.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

Rachel&Nibbler wrote:I always put Nibbler's pellets in a treat ball to encourage some exercise for them, though I don't know if that would work with 2 bunnies unless they had one each or you could end up with 1 getting them all & the other missing out.

Im not worried about them exercising, they never sit still Laughing They do use a treatball with apple snacks in, but its only a treat. They dont fight over it, but even if i give them 2, they both want what the other one has anyway. Laughing Dolly usually gets most of the food out anyway, and i dont want to make it any harder for Marley.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 am

i put 80g in a bowl for my 2,iam slowly going to reduce it,as i think mine are a bit big,i dont know what amount they should have but also wondered if i should split that to a morning feed and a night feed,when its tea time for them,its like they have never been feed,any thoughts ladies?
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 pm

We all get our pellets split into two feeds - at about 6.30am and 6.30pm.

Humum has cut our pellets down massively since winter (by about a third, very gradually) - it was noticeable that the outside buns needed more over winter to maintain weight. Also the brand of pellets seems to matter - she couldn't keep weight on them with A&P so we get a mix of Excel and SS.

It is noticeable that since cutting the pellets back, everybun is eating a lot more hay. She frets about Jack a little as he has gone from being a very stocky buck of almost 3kg to a lean boy of about 2.4kg - she wouldn't want him to lose any more, but she thinks it's because he is far more active now and has more competition for pellets in the shape of Layla the food-hoover Laughing

I don't see any reason not to reduce the pellet ration and keep an eye on them - Humum says we can eat hay if we are hungry* No

*although to be fair there are at least 7 varieties of hay in the house at the moment Embarassed
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

mine have a mixture of SS and Excel too,i will start to split the food up from tom' then i think,get them used to that,and then i will reduce it by 5grams every 3-4 days i think
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

I scatter the pellets for my trios, always have, it makes them work for them a bit. Sometimes I use the treat ball, they have one per trio, one pushes the ball around the other two hoover the pellets up Laughing

I feed them Allen & Page and it says on the packet 50 to 80 grams (grams i think) per bun but I feed them 50 grams betwen three, they all eat stacks of hay and wild forage that I collect on the way home from the school run.

Fallen Angel, just cut the pellets down and stick with the one feed a day. They will get used to it, just give them more hay. A bit of tough love is for the best Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

VTB-there cage is full of hay,so i dont think i could improve on that Laughing there bedding is just paper and lots of hay on top,might start to reduce the food tom,i feel so mean but there chunky monkeys and i cant use "its winter fur" excuse anymore Laughing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm

My lot are constantly on the scrounge but I'm a mean bun mummy and just give them a nose rub instead Laughing It's for the best for them if they need to lose a bit of weight Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 pm

I had problems maintaining their weight on just the SS, but they are doing fine since having a mix between excel and SS. I had been thinking about cutting their pellets down, but i wouldnt go below a third of a cup between them. They do eat a lot of hay, but they havent held their weight when ive removed pellets in the past.

I think ill scatter them in their forage box and see what happens...
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 am

I would scatter them in their forage box, we have took most of our buns off dry pellets now but we do scatter a few now and then on top of their hay and let them forage for them Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down