Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just picked a baby bun up off the road

+3
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
Thumper2001
7 posters

Go down

Just picked a baby bun up off the road Empty Just picked a baby bun up off the road

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 pm

We were on our way home and spotted a little ball in the middle of the road at the last second, goodness knows how many people have driven over the top of him/her Sad It was right in the middle so tyres would have passed either side of it Sad

OH picked it up with his jumper and we checked him/her over and he didn't seem to be injured. I think just stunned a little. Bless, he/she had a bit of grass in its mouth. What a cute little face Very Happy I really wanted to take it home and keep an eye on it over night but my FIL pointed out that I really shouldn't, although Molly and Junior are vaccinated, it would be silly of me to put them at risk.

We found some really long grass (thank you to the council for being lazy sods Thumbs Up) and hid it well.

I'm hoping he'll be ok. I'll maybe take a walk over tomorrow and see if it's gone.

Does OH have to bin his jumper? We've left it in the car just in case.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Just picked a baby bun up off the road Empty Re: Just picked a baby bun up off the road

Post by fiver Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm

i would stick it in the washing machine and put some anti-bacterial soap and soap powder and wash it Smile
i think it would be ok after that..

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Just picked a baby bun up off the road Empty Re: Just picked a baby bun up off the road

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Awww!

OH had the right idea though. There shouldn't be any issues with the jumper but if you want to be cautious stick it in the freezer for a week before washing. It will kill of any fleas etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Awww!

OH had the right idea though. There shouldn't be any issues with the jumper but if you want to be cautious stick it in the freezer for a week before washing. It will kill of any fleas etc.
can just see the fleas now one saying bloomin ell this british summer went quick it's bloomin xmas Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Oh Bless him I wonder if he had been hit by a car and had trauma we are forever picking them up of the country lanes round here
and they have usually been clipped by cars and look ok but they are usually so stunned they just sit there in the road. We carry
a spare collapsible pet carrier just for wildies that are usually hurt or traumatised.

Hope the little fellow is ok.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks Very Happy

What was really random was, my FIL (who found Thumper) was waiting to come out of a junction a little bit further up the road because he had passed it and was coming back to do the same thing we were doing Shocked

Thankfully he hadn't driven over the top of it because he was in the other lane.

I thought it was really strange, he doesn't even live up here, he must have just been passing through Shocked

I really wish I could have taken it home to keep an eye on it but he wouldn't have been safe in our garden, what with next doors cats.

I can only hope we've given it more of a chance than it had in the middle of the road.

*feeling guilty for leaving it* Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 am

Thumper2001 wrote:Thanks Very Happy

What was really random was, my FIL (who found Thumper) was waiting to come out of a junction a little bit further up the road because he had passed it and was coming back to do the same thing we were doing Shocked

Thankfully he hadn't driven over the top of it because he was in the other lane.

I thought it was really strange, he doesn't even live up here, he must have just been passing through Shocked

I really wish I could have taken it home to keep an eye on it but he wouldn't have been safe in our garden, what with next doors cats.

I can only hope we've given it more of a chance than it had in the middle of the road.

*feeling guilty for leaving it* Sad

Thumper you did the right thing, they are a little bit like cats when they have been clipped sometimes by cars they will sit there in shock and then suddenly take off ( a bit like a bird flying into a window and stunning itself, after a few minutes it's head goes up and it takes off) .

You actually saved it's life as most bunnies that get clipped by cars and survive are just stunned and sit in the road but then die when car's drive over them. Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 am

Thank you Maysie Hugs You've made me feel much better about it Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 am

You did good! You removed it from danger and placed it in a safe place for it to recover from the bad fright it had. Hopefully the little wildie wasn't injured and was just scared. We can pray it scampered happily off into the countryside and realizes that the grass is not greener on the other side of the road! Smile
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 am

Give it a few washes, use antibacterial 1st then a normal wash, it you have something like F10 you can soak it in diluted basin then put it through a rinve normal wash then normal.
You will feel good you cared and stopped very few folks these days do. We have a roundabout outside of town and every evening there is always a dozen or so bunnies all munching away on the grass, only ever seen 1 on the road but it was to late for him/her, its a very busy roundabout so they probs know not to go near the edge.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 am

[b]I really hope the bunns OK should be when I took daughter to Manchester airport this week I came back over the snake pass about 5 in the morning I have never seen as many wilde bunns especialy at the bamford cross roads I had to stop there were 4 of them in the road playing or maby the counil have taken them on to inspect the roads probably cheaper. On the jumper wife says if that was us she would keep the jumper and bin me Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:55 am

Ruffin wrote: On the jumper wife says if that was us she would keep the jumper and bin me Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Ha ha!!!

The poor little love, it is a good job you saw him and were able to help. I am sure the little chap is fine; thank you so much for what you did hun.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down