Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VHD Myxi Combo.

+9
Rachel&Nibbler
dizzylynn
Dotdot
Tuckerbunnies
fiver
KatieB
Vegan_bunny
marleyNfriends
Catsknickers
13 posters

Go down

VHD Myxi Combo. Empty VHD Myxi Combo.

Post by Catsknickers Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 am

All our foster rabbits have started to have this. And my Lily is due her jabs so will be having it next week. No ill effects so far, touch wood.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

VHD Myxi Combo. Empty Re: VHD Myxi Combo.

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 am

I love it.
All mine have had it now and there were no ill effects.
My friends buns went a bit quiet and fussy with their food for a couple of days, but they were fine afterwards. They have always had quite sensitive tums though.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 am

Does anybody know if this new vac is meant to be more effective? Have rabbits still gotten myxi when had this vac? I haven't heard much about this but obviously it's not been available for long.
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:42 am

Daisy had it - even though he couldn't have the normal VHd. He was totally fine.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:35 pm

mine have all had the combi and it was fine for them, it's supposed to be as affective and contains a "live" vaccine Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Our's haven't had the new combo vaccines yet they have all just had the old vaccines but our vet's have now gone on to the VHD Myxi Combo so they will be doing and it will be a little bit cheaper for us as you can imagine how much it cost's us to get all our buns vaccinated.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Mine haven't had it either but I think they will be having it the next time round. They're due their myxi very soon but not sure how far ahead of vhd they can have the combined vaccine as it's 6 months too early.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Still waiting on ourvet getting it in, they ordered it but theres a prob with supply shortage, typical.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Dotdot wrote:Mine haven't had it either but I think they will be having it the next time round. They're due their myxi very soon but not sure how far ahead of vhd they can have the combined vaccine as it's 6 months too early.

I had this problem with Marley and Dolly and i was told that it wasnt an issue having the combined vaccine, before they were due their VHD.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Nibbler had this last time and he's been fine. Though I have some concerns now I've moved accommodation and there are a lot of other animals around as my vet basically said he needn't come in for a 6 month jab as he was an indoor bun that didn't interact with other animals. He's not interacting with the other animals around and I've not exactly been stroking them but it worries me a bit now that she said that! Calling my vet to ask if other injections would be needed or not.

Edit: called the vet, to my surprise they didn't give him the combination jab like I thought they had, I think I must have gotten confused as she was telling me about it then said he needn't come in for the 6 month jab and to only have it yearly as he's an indoor bun. He's actually due for his 6 month jab around about now and as he will be experiencing some fresh air in the not too distant future he's off to the vets on Tuesday to get the combination jab VHD Myxi Combo. 913859
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:40 pm

fiver wrote:mine have all had the combi and it was fine for them, it's supposed to be as affective and contains a "live" vaccine Thumbs Up

I thought this vaccine did not contain a live vaccine. I didn't have Fiver vaccinated against VHD because of the way it was created but I was told this vaccine does not contain a live vaccine and so no rabbits are killed in order to create it.
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 pm

It's good to hear positive things about this jab. Willow is due her VHD booster in September (like Nibbler, I was advised to just give her a yearly Myxi vaccine instead of six monthly as she is an indoor bunny and doesn't come into contact with the other animals), and she will be getting the combined vaccine this time round. It sounds quite good so far! Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Vegan_bunny wrote:
fiver wrote:mine have all had the combi and it was fine for them, it's supposed to be as affective and contains a "live" vaccine Thumbs Up

I thought this vaccine did not contain a live vaccine. I didn't have Fiver vaccinated against VHD because of the way it was created but I was told this vaccine does not contain a live vaccine and so no rabbits are killed in order to create it.

My understanding is that it is a live vaccine. On the balance of the animal testing/non testing argument I find it hard to ignore the potential harm to my buns and not give the vaccine. My neighbours lost a bun suddenly with no warning about 18 months ago and so I am unwilling to take the risk of leaving mine unvaccinated. The balance of the need for medication to prevent and cure illness versus the want to eradicate animal testing is a difficult one.

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Temperance got the combined vac earlier in the week Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:
Vegan_bunny wrote:

My understanding is that it is a live vaccine. On the balance of the animal testing/non testing argument I find it hard to ignore the potential harm to my buns and not give the vaccine. My neighbours lost a bun suddenly with no warning about 18 months ago and so I am unwilling to take the risk of leaving mine unvaccinated. The balance of the need for medication to prevent and cure illness versus the want to eradicate animal testing is a difficult one.

I'm not sure if my understanding of live vaccine is the same as you guys but with regard to the new vaccine:

The myxi part is made of real myxi, so I believe that is 'live' rather than synthetic. The VHD part is not made from infecting rabbits with VHD and using extractions from the victims - it IS an ethical vaccine. Or at least all of this is my understanding from what I've read from extensive discussions.

This vaccine *in theory* is more effective against myxi. When I last discussed the vaccine with FHB she hadn't heard of any bad feedback. One bunny at her surgery had gone on to contract myxi even though vaccinated with the new vaccine but this rabbit had had a lot of strain on their immune system at the time of vaccination so was not a good representation to rate the vaccine.

All of mine have had the vaccine so far except Tink as she hasn't yet been due for vaccine. All have done well including Artie who is nearly eight, has EC and only one kidney Thumbs Up

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 pm

It certainly is difficult, but I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if anything happened to my angels and I knew I could prevent it.

Ive probably missed what was discussed regarding this matter, but Was there a rumour that if buns had already had the individual jab then a portion of this wouldn't work?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Big Ears wrote:The myxi part is made of real myxi, so I believe that is 'live' rather than synthetic. The VHD part is not made from infecting rabbits with VHD and using extractions from the victims - it IS an ethical vaccine. Or at least all of this is my understanding from what I've read from extensive discussions.
I can't find the information to link to now, but that was my understanding too. The former VHD was 'grown' in live rabbits with one rabbit providing enough vaccine for so many hundred doses, but the 'donor' rabbit obviously did not a) have a particularly nice or natural life, or b) survive. The new vaccine does not rely on live rabbits for its growing media. So yes it is a much more ethical vaccine.

Dotdot wrote:Ive probably missed what was discussed regarding this matter, but Was there a rumour that if buns had already had the individual jab then a portion of this wouldn't work?
Only in the rest of Europe, where their former vaccine was based on a live vaccine. UK buns who were formerly vaccinated with the UK 'synthetic' vaccine will have full protection from the combi vaccine. I'm not sure about buns who have actually suffered from myxi and survived though, I *think* there is some doubt over whether they would receive full protection.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I think that they have to have 2x the dosage and are then thought to be fine Sparky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegan_bunny Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Big Ears wrote:My understanding is that it is a live vaccine. On the balance of the animal testing/non testing argument I find it hard to ignore the potential harm to my buns and not give the vaccine. My neighbours lost a bun suddenly with no warning about 18 months ago and so I am unwilling to take the risk of leaving mine unvaccinated. The balance of the need for medication to prevent and cure illness versus the want to eradicate animal testing is a difficult one.

I'm not sure if my understanding of live vaccine is the same as you guys but with regard to the new vaccine:

The myxi part is made of real myxi, so I believe that is 'live' rather than synthetic. The VHD part is not made from infecting rabbits with VHD and using extractions from the victims - it IS an ethical vaccine. Or at least all of this is my understanding from what I've read from extensive discussions.

This vaccine *in theory* is more effective against myxi. When I last discussed the vaccine with FHB she hadn't heard of any bad feedback. One bunny at her surgery had gone on to contract myxi even though vaccinated with the new vaccine but this rabbit had had a lot of strain on their immune system at the time of vaccination so was not a good representation to rate the vaccine.

All of mine have had the vaccine so far except Tink as she hasn't yet been due for vaccine. All have done well including Artie who is nearly eight, has EC and only one kidney Thumbs Up

This is also my understanding although I didn't know that the myxi part was live.

I have no problems with this vaccine, my 2 were done as soon as I could get it done simply because Fiver was not vaccinated against VHD. My problem is not the animal testing part as this is impossible to avoid in any kind of medication (animal or human). It was the fact that in order to make the vaccine a rabbit had to be infected with this awful disease and then killed, not to mention the disgusting conditions that they are kept in at the lab. I couldn't see how it was fair to say that a "pet" rabbit had more right to live happily and healthily than a lab rabbit. These are my personal views and I have never discouraged people from getting the vaccine, but now I recommend the combi vac because it seems more effective and more ethical than the old vaccines...plus it usually works out cheaper!
Vegan_bunny
Vegan_bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down