Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week!

+6
fiver
Dotdot
Vince the bunny
FluffSlave
Sparky
Tuckerbunnies
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week! Empty Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week!

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Just read in the newspaper that temperatures will be soaring next week to 88F (31C)

Make sure you have a couple of pop bottles with water in ready in your freezer or ice pods that you can quickly replace once they have melted to put in with the buns
to keep them cooler so they don't get overheated.

Make sure you have some fly deterrant spray for the buns to keep the fly's off them, even house rabbits need a spray if you have windows and doors open.

Fill a clean empty spray bottle with water and gently wipe their faces and ears to keep the buns cool if they seem hot and panting ( not the body )

Make sure their runs or hutches are not directly in the sun.

I just want to warn you so you can be prepared .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week! Empty Re: Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week!

Post by Sparky Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks Maysie Thumbs Up

I don't like hot because it makes my nose worse Sad so Humum will have to take extra special care of me...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week! Empty Re: Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week!

Post by FluffSlave Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Where does everyone get their ice pods from the cheapest? I'm not too fussed about Willow having a Snugglesafe unless she was poorly because she is indoors and therefore stays warm, but I do worry sometimes that she is too warm despite having a laminate floor.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:04 pm

A couple of 2 litre bottles of water that take turns in the freezer will be as good as an ice pod.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Pop bottles cleaned out and filled with water ( half fill them because the water expands) are just as good like Cheryl said or the cheapest place for ice pods I think is Pets@Home

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ice-pod-by-scratch-and-newton-37371?freeText=ice+pod&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for that Maysie. Those tips are very useful Thumbs Up
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Maysie!
I'll need to get some fly spray- any reccomendations out of all the brands?
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:08 pm

thanks daisy will get prepared x Thumbs Up

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

[b]Think I will rig up some fans in there hutches allthough with the hutches being in the garage they do stay cool and they have access to that from there runns all the time bet Daisy goes out into the run with his speedos on to get a tan No
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I don't think I need to worry. The forecast here is showing a maximum of 15° Rolling Eyes
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 am

Dotdot wrote:Thanks Maysie!
I'll need to get some fly spray- any reccomendations out of all the brands?

We use Beaphars Fly Free ( 1 week Protection )
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAPHAR-FLY-FREE-150ML-CHEAPEST-RABBITS-GUINEA-PIGS-FERRETS-/150869160417?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item232080b1e1

and Beaphars Fly Guard, both we find are good. ( Fly Guard is £9.99p at Pets@Home you can get it a lot cheaper online ) 3 months Protection.

http://www.thepetmedicinecompany.co.uk/small-pet/fly-control/Beaphar-Fly-Guard-Spray-3-months-Protection-75ml-BEA015.php

We also loved Johnsons Fly Strike Protector and it's reasonably priced compared to most fly strike protectors. ( 1 week Protection )
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Health+%252526+Hygiene.12/Johnsons+Fly+Strike+Protector.513.html

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 am

How does the fly spray work? Don't the buns just groom it away? What does it do? Thanks
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 am

I think I will go with the frozen water bottles if needs be, although the Ice Pod is not a bad price, but it seems silly to spend money when there's a free alternative. Anyway, I looked at our forecast and it's only saying highs of low or mid 20's at the moment.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:09 pm

i've frozen a bottle so far and saving more to freeze Thumbs Up
i've alway's got a couple of bottles of fly strike spray in my buns cupboard and sprayed thier little botties last week so alway's try to keep on top of it. Thumbs Up
i also was lucky enough to buy a mobile air con unit on casters a couple of years ago in a sale for £89.00 and it works perfectly Please Note: It's going to be very hot next week! Shine

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:How does the fly spray work? Don't the buns just groom it away? What does it do? Thanks
I have the beaphar stuff and the active ingredient is ivermectin (sp?)

My understanding is that if flies do lay eggs on a bun, the spray prevents the eggs from being able to hatch into maggots. I could be wrong though Laughing

I haven't sprayed Molly and Junior yet because I know they are going to go mental Hmmm And you have to put 15 sprays of this stuff on each of them, I'm scared of them licking it off. I have no idea how that might affect them pale

Does anyone know?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm

It is a worry about them licking it right off. How does one of them last 3 months?!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Oh nooooooo we dont do well in heat, my hip & pelvis plays up & the animals get grumpy. Other than rudy who will love to sunbathe. Better stock up on ice, and buy kids sime wee bottles of juice so can use empties. Cheers for the heads up.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:
Vince the bunny wrote:How does the fly spray work? Don't the buns just groom it away? What does it do? Thanks
I have the beaphar stuff and the active ingredient is ivermectin (sp?)

My understanding is that if flies do lay eggs on a bun, the spray prevents the eggs from being able to hatch into maggots. I could be wrong though Laughing

I haven't sprayed Molly and Junior yet because I know they are going to go mental Hmmm And you have to put 15 sprays of this stuff on each of them, I'm scared of them licking it off. I have no idea how that might affect them pale

Does anyone know?

I have been using Johnsons and Beaphar fly protector for years and years and used it on loads of bunnies and none of them have been ill or died of it. I have had fur coming off some buns as if they have had a reaction to the spray but I don't think it would be for sale if it was poisonous to rabbits.

Baby Saint who's immune system is so low we use Assisi Natural Grooming spray on her as it seem's to keep the flies away and is natural and we always bought our's from 'Bunny Bazzar' which is now the RWAF shop so that's ever better.
We also use Assisi spray when we groom the buns.

http://www.bunnybazaar.com/RGRSGL/Grooming-/Assisi-Natural-Grooming-Lotion-260ml

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Its possible its not licenced or regulated, bob martin products arent so wont use the flie treatments, many cats have died so wouldnt risk buying them myself for any of my animals.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:37 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Its possible its not licenced or regulated, bob martin products arent so wont use the flie treatments, many cats have died so wouldnt risk buying them myself for any of my animals.

Beauphar and Johnsons products are licensed, and rabbits have to be protected somehow in the hot Summer months from Flystrike especially if they are in hutches outside. Our's are all indoor bunnies but we still use a fly protector spray on them if there are flies about and I can honestly say I have never heard of a rabbit dying from someone using a fly spray protector.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Myiasis/Miyasis_fly.htm

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:54 pm

[b]as well as the protectors I have a fly paper in each hutch/shed and they do trap a lot of flies allthough one day I expect to go into the crazy gangs hut and find the bunns have stuck Daisy to it Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Ruffin wrote:[b]as well as the protectors I have a fly paper in each hutch/shed and they do trap a lot of flies allthough one day I expect to go into the crazy gangs hut and find the bunns have stuck Daisy to it Laughing

The fly paper is brilliant actually, we use to have the long sticky roll fly papers until it stuck to my hair once and that was it Laughing Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Flies are driving me nuts, and the dogs so can imagine how annoying they are to the bunnies.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Flies are driving me nuts, and the dogs so can imagine how annoying they are to the bunnies.

Horses to, my poor horse was plagued with them in Summer but now you can buy fly masks for horses, how I wished there
had been something like that 20 years ago as it would have been so much better for her.

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Horseware_Ireland_Rambo_Plus_Fly_Mask_effective_fly_mask-(2649).aspx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

[b]there the ones I use think there 99p for 5 from B&Q but I havent got much hair but everytime my daughter goes in she manages to get hers stuck to it Rolling Eyes
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next