Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday?

+6
Vince the bunny
jolovesbunnies
Sixer
Rachel&Nibbler
Thumper2001
Zo
10 posters

Go down

What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday? Empty What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday?

Post by Zo Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am

I'm finding the choice and knowing what to feed him quite overwhelming, at the moment Hector has green beans and mint, he has rejected red pepper and parsley. Help Please!!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday? Empty Re: What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday?

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Molly and Junior are fussy gits but they love carrot tops!

I feed them daily, but not too much Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday? Empty Re: What veggies/herbs do you feed your buns everyday?

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I think buns have their own tastes and you've just got to try them with different things to find what they like. For example Nibbler refuses to try strawberry which I know others here are crazy about. Herbs are unusual tastes but they seem to be a popular thing with a lot of buns. It's certainly what Nibbler will go for first (unless there's some carrot of course). His favourite herbs are parsley, basil, coriander and mint. What I have fed Nibbler before is: brocolli, cauliflower (esp the green leaves, he loves them), beans (green and mangetout), celery (was a staple favourite then he went off it), cabbage, range of herbs, carrot tops, brussel sprouts, cucumber, romaine lettuce, peppers, radish tops, dandelion. I've probably tried him on more things but just can't remember at the minute.

There's a lot of sites that contain lists of what is safe and what is not safe to give to your buns. I've just gone from lists from reputable places (there's a few lists which seem to contradict each other I discovered) and picked out something new and got Nibbler to try a little bit of it. (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm is one of these lists for example)

However, I say this without any real knowledge of young buns so I'm not sure if what to feed him when you've started feeding veg is affected by their age. I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to comment.
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Ours get a mix of spring greens, romaine lettuce, savoy cabbage, broccoli, peppers, kale, rocket, celery (chopped into small pieces), radish, carrot tops, cauliflower leaves, brussel sprout leaves and assorted herbs. They also get bits from the garden such as hawthorn leaves, dandelions, plaintain and their current favourite ash leaves. They are allowed a little carrot a couple of times a week.

Just try Hector with one knew item at a time, and a small amount to start with to make sure it doesn't upset his tummy. You can then introduce another item a few days later. You will hopefully then end up with a range of food that he likes. Mine get a combination of the above in small amounts a couple of times a day.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Mine love carrot tops too but always leave the carrot. Rocket or watercress is given most days along with a slice of cucumber which I have discovered Binks has to be in the mood for; guinea pigs love it. He loves peach and apple not to mention banana but he doesn't have them too often. Everyone loves parsley and I am so sorry to hear that Hector didn't like it. I have also discovdered that Binky loves kiwi fruit.

There is a super choice and it is lovely trying him with different things.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm

I would try again with the parsley. Parsley is a strong smell and flavour and it often takes a while for rabbits to get the hang of it. Herbs are less likely to cause stomach upsets in rabbits and are easy to grow in the garden. I grow herbs front and back at my house. In the back garden they grow between the flowers. Favourites not readily available in the shops include lemon balm, fennel foliage, celery leaf, oregano, chervil, tarragon and mint.

I tend to favour green leafy veg as I think they are more natural for buns. Mine love rocket, parsley, basil, coriander, greens, and fennel bulbs.

They also adore bramble canes, rose cuttings and rose flowers and of course dandelions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Mine get whatever is on special buy at my local supermarket, that way I can give them a constant supply of fresh greens even if it doesn't vary to much. They have savoy cabbage and celery and a couple of times a week I chop up some apple, carrot, peppers and sprouts in there too for variety.

I grow herbs in my garden and every now and then I pick a few leaves and share them amongst the buns. They also liked eating a rose tree before I chopped it down ( it was damaging the roof of the rex's play house) and they eat the apple tree offcuts too, plus this horrid prickly shrub that grows in the corner behind Vince's run.

They also love banana but only get a slice occasionaly. They like parsnip, celery, broccoli.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Temperance gets dill, mint, basil and coriander (varying combinations depending on what i have picked up).

Her favourite is coriander and she grunts if you don't give it to her quick enough or touch her while she is eating it Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Ours have very little spring greens, but they have chopped celery, carrots of course, flat leafed Parsley, a little broccoli, rocket, coriander, a little Kale sometimes a little Spinach and we put a little bit of banana on their breakfasts but no apple as I find a lot of them had tummy upsets with the apple.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot of ideas, I'm trying to start him off on things that we eat, so there's no waste, it will be a lot easier next year when my allotment gets going, because I can just pick what I need! I'll try him again on parsley for now, then after his neuter we'll try carrots, broccolli, celery, maybe radish tops, lettuce, and rocket, phew!
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 am

Oh and if hector already has dried dandelion, do I need to introduce the fresh or will it be ok?
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:41 am

We have always started our rabbit's days with a bit of carrot for brekkie. I now know about the sugar content being high...but in moderation they have seemed to thrive on it. Then they have gotten a mix of what we call Spring Greens here. Actually it is a mix of baby greens that varies a bit during that year but always has romaine, arugula, and other broad leafed greens. Also for a snack a small chunk of apple or dried cranberries(for vitamin C).

Thumper would mug me for peanut butter! Not that I wanted him to have it! It was all natural, made from just peanuts and nothing else. The vet said he was in perfect health except for his teeth spurs.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Willow gets Romaine Lettuce and Spring Greens as a staple every day, and then I add to that Coriander (which she loves!), Celery, Cucumber, Carrot Tops, Green Peppers, Radish Tops, Green Beans and Baby Carrots (in moderation, about once a week) to one of those.

Mr Mojo will get the same but I might see if he likes any coloured veg - the only non-green item that Willow likes is carrots Laughing

I want to try some more herbs soon too Thumbs Up

Both of mine despise banana scratch
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum