Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to use/how to make a run cover???

+6
Vince the bunny
Zo
Tuckerbunnies
Big Ears
Father Jack
KatieB
10 posters

Go down

What to use/how to make a run cover??? Empty What to use/how to make a run cover???

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:10 pm

So Id like to make some kind of Run cover for the outdoor guys, Their run is 6ftx4ft and the right had side of the run is attached to the shed and the back 2ft are already covered as its wooden.

Do any of you creative types have any clever Ideas about how I can cover the run - so that they can still use it in this dreadful weather?

Katie x

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

What to use/how to make a run cover??? Empty Re: What to use/how to make a run cover???

Post by Father Jack Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 pm

You could make a run panel like hudad did. You could hinge it onto the shed so you can lift it up and prop it with a stake. If you got some nice thick clear polythene, you could staple that over the mesh Thumbs Up
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

What to use/how to make a run cover??? Empty Re: What to use/how to make a run cover???

Post by Big Ears Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm just getting some materials together for making hutch covers and possibly some covers for the aviary. I've bought some of this and I'm like a little kid I'm so excited about finding it and how good it is: Embarassed Embarassed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300794532615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

For what you want to make a more rigid cover might be more use but I couldn't resist showing you, as I've spent ages finding the exact right plastic sheeting for my mission Laughing

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm

ooo that stuff looks just the stuff!!!

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm

We are having the same problems but we have been doing this.

What to use/how to make a run cover??? Satphotos001

What to use/how to make a run cover??? 13-5-10001

What to use/how to make a run cover??? 13-5-10004

What to use/how to make a run cover??? 13-5-10005

What to use/how to make a run cover??? 13-5-10006

But we could do with something a lot easier scratch

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Maysie your garden is humongous!!! Shocked
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:08 pm

I think Maysie's buns are having a garden party! Laughing

With the tarps you want to get something underneath them in the centre to get the rain to drain off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

For the rex trio's run, I made the frame for the roof with corrugated plastic sheeting attached. I decided which way I wanted the water to run off and then added more battons of wood to the opposite side to raise the angle of the roof so it wasn't flat. this then allows the water to drain off. Hope that makes sense!

This is Tilly and Herbie's avairy, the roof is piched so the rain runs off and the avairy is covered with a clear plastic. You have to leave ventilation gaps though else it condensates and condensation drips from inside the roof. This is just a large scale of the rex trios run.
What to use/how to make a run cover??? 001

The plastic I used
http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=358

Roof panel
http://www.wickes.co.uk/mini-profile-corrugated-sheet-660mmx24m/invt/240170/

On Vince;s run, it is just tarp over the run and tbh it's rubbish. I put an old peice of twin wall corrugate roofing under the tarp but it's still rubbish No I need to rebuild it and make a slanting roof on a frame with the corrugated roofing on like I have the avairies and rexes run.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Thats brilliant! Thank you!

This weekend is going to be busy!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 pm

I love how you've strategically placed pots of herbs OUTSIDE the run! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 pm

......Walks into thread and feels sheepish that all the girls have outside is some tarp and a piece of wood Embarassed Really need to sort something better! Laughing bless them!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I think Maysie's buns are having a garden party! Laughing

With the tarps you want to get something underneath them in the centre to get the rain to drain off.

I have Cheryl....he's called Mike Laughing Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am

Vince the bunny wrote:For the rex trio's run, I made the frame for the roof with corrugated plastic sheeting attached. I decided which way I wanted the water to run off and then added more battons of wood to the opposite side to raise the angle of the roof so it wasn't flat. this then allows the water to drain off. Hope that makes sense!

This is Tilly and Herbie's avairy, the roof is piched so the rain runs off and the avairy is covered with a clear plastic. You have to leave ventilation gaps though else it condensates and condensation drips from inside the roof. This is just a large scale of the rex trios run.
What to use/how to make a run cover??? 001

The plastic I used
http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=358

Roof panel
http://www.wickes.co.uk/mini-profile-corrugated-sheet-660mmx24m/invt/240170/

On Vince;s run, it is just tarp over the run and tbh it's rubbish. I put an old peice of twin wall corrugate roofing under the tarp but it's still rubbish No I need to rebuild it and make a slanting roof on a frame with the corrugated roofing on like I have the avairies and rexes run.

That's a brilliant idea I'm saving the photo Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks Maysie Smile I forgot to add that the plastic sheeting rolls up on warm dry days as essentially what I have made is a greenhouse with mesh walls Laughing By rolling up the plastic it means it doesn't get damaged by removing it all the time and also means that i can quickly roll it down on wet days.

I would recommend reinforcing the edges with some clear tarp tape, you can get it off ebay. I just used drawing pins to attach it, they do the job just fine place about 6 inches apart.

Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jag Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:19 pm

wow your runs are amazing maysie! what lucky little buns Very Happy

i have used the clear pvc covers too i got mine from here and are very heavy duty with eyelets

http://www.marketholdings-store.co.uk/acatalog/PVC_Covers.html

kind regards

jag
Banned

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Some excellent ideas there - I have had a run cover from Alan, see details below from elsewhere, but I think it may well work out cheaper to fashion something myself for Gabe and Spring's run. I do recommend Alan though on quality - if you email him sizes he will work out a cost. I am not sure if he is still on ebay but his email address is cabj.design@hotmail.co.uk

Having your hutch cover made to measure may cost a little extra but is definitely good value for money. These covers are custom made by Ebay seller c.a.b.j (Alan).

You have the option of a standard cover with a clear front, day and night covers (a clear front with roll up/down solid panel) or interchangeable front panels with a clear, night and fly screen which you can swap according to the weather. You can also request thermal insulation.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down